Car insurance question

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
So...A car is reported stolen. After a period of time, the insurance company issues a check to the owner, and the owner moves on.

Then the car is found, undamaged. The insurance company owns it. Sells it.

Is there anything "queer" about the title, going forward? (California car).

Hint: it is not a salvage or "reconstructed" title. Seller says it's "clear."

Any thoughts?

So...A car is reported stolen. After a period of time, the insurance company issues a check to the owner, and the owner moves on.

Any thoughts?

Shouldn't be a problem.

Obviously, a police report was filed.

I'm talking to a dealer outside SF who claims that "most" of his inventory is made up of cars like this - bought from insurance companies - and the title is clean. But I don't want any surprises when I go to title it in PA...and they tell me it has to be a "salvage" title or something.

The car seems like an excellent buy - not insane, but extremely attractive.

2007 M-B SL550, extremely low miles for about $22k. Original MSRP was into six figures.

Not my first Mercedes...

Clean bill of health from M-B dealer near seller. All good.

I have purchased the car mentioned above, and it is en route to my home in Western Pennsylvania. In an open top trailer, presumably it is getting its first taste of snow rolling across the Midwest as I type this.

Anecdote: I had asked the used car dealer if I could have the car looked at by a local M-B dealer, and he said, "Sure!" The sales manager for the local dealer (5 miles away) told me I would have to pay $199 for EACH THING I wanted to check out on the car...$199 for the brakes, $199 for the emissions system, and so on. I asked him, "You don't do much of this do you?" "Not much," he responded.

When I told the used car salesman, he suggested another M-B dealer, close to where he lives. He volunteered to deliver the car to the service department and pick it up when finished, as long as I pay for the inspection. So I got in touch with that one, and he came up with a few minor things, for which I got a $300 credit on the sales price. The whole-car inspection cost me $200.

The truck driver who picked up the car took several pictures (per his normal procedures), called me and confirmed that the car appears to be pristine (26k miles, so no surprise).

Fingers crossed. Car is supposed to be delivered on Tuesday (3/13)

Simplest thing to do would have been just call the PA DMV and explain the situation to them, see what they say.

I have the car now, and the Pennsylvania title (final form), clean as a whistle.

Second key will cost about $500. Boo.

I've had the car for about a month. Pennsylvania State inspection was no problem. I love the car. It is fast, comfortable, handles great. Gets over 25 mpg on the highwqy. Not bad for 389 hp and a 4,000 lb car.

Any thoughts?

The insurer clearly owns any salvage. Shouldn't be a problem.

Forum List

Back