Car Inspection

Now that you mention it I can't say off hand only that it's no where near what yours is though they do get us in another way. We pay an annual 4% property tax on our vehicles, trailers, etc. The percentage is based on the current blue book value of the vehicle.
We were phasing out this hated tax when the recession hit, now there's talk of keeping it where it is now or restoring it to it's old level.

we pay property tax on vehicles to. Pisses me off, I have a 1965 Mustang that I'm still paying for. effectively.

Unfortunately what happens is the counties and localities who rely on the distributions on moneys from property taxes start raising and or instituting new fees or increase local taxes to make up the difference. Frequently means we end up paying more in the long run.

Yeah, I just think that at some point they should stop. At least I have a life time tag for it, don't have to pay to license it every year.

No inspections or emissions checks in KY.

Do folks generally take their cars in on their own once a year to get them inspected? I just think it's a good idea and would do this even if it wasn't required.

Depends if they can afford dealer servicing they do. Otherwise just run em till they quit mostly.

Unfortunately the major defective part that causes virtually all accidents in not properly inspected in any state. That part is the nut that holds the steering wheel.

Last edited:
Inspection is free in NJ if you go to the state operated facilities.

They were actually privatized a few years back and whaddya know, they became faster and more efficient than I'd ever known them to be. Who would have guessed???

But they just recently cut their budget and reduced the inspections down to only emissions, effective as of Aug. 1.

No inspections or emissions checks in KY.

Do folks generally take their cars in on their own once a year to get them inspected? I just think it's a good idea and would do this even if it wasn't required.

Depends if they can afford dealer servicing they do. Otherwise just run em till they quit mostly.

Unfortunately the major defective part that causes virtually all accidents in not properly inspected in any state. That part is the nut that holds the steering wheel.

:lol: :lol: :lol: True!

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to uscitizen again.

we pay property tax on vehicles to. Pisses me off, I have a 1965 Mustang that I'm still paying for. effectively.

Unfortunately what happens is the counties and localities who rely on the distributions on moneys from property taxes start raising and or instituting new fees or increase local taxes to make up the difference. Frequently means we end up paying more in the long run.

Yeah, I just think that at some point they should stop. At least I have a life time tag for it, don't have to pay to license it every year.

Here you renew the vehicle registration from one to two years with a slight cost adjustment if you pay the two year fee and pay online. Mechanical inspection is once a year, emissions is every two years.

Tennessee doesn't do testing, but cities do. I live outside of Memphis but if you live in the city you have to do an inspection every year. I think it's around $50...

Forum List

Back