Car Inspection

We don't have inspections, per se.

We have emissions checks. Limited by state law to no more than $25. Most places charge $20.

To get my tag renewed on my truck, it costs $55. $20 for the emissions, $15 for the tag, and $20 for the ad valorem tax.

We have emissions checks. Limited by state law to no more than $25. Most places charge $20.

To get my tag renewed on my truck, it costs $55. $20 for the emissions, $15 for the tag, and $20 for the ad valorem tax.

I figured all states had inspection. We used to (long ago in the dark ages) have inspections twice a year. I always liked that. Now it's just once a year.

Inspection is $28, emissions is $45 plus $2.40 for the MCI phone charge, sticker is $2, $36 for registration/sticker.

I figured all states had inspection. We used to (long ago in the dark ages) have inspections twice a year. I always liked that. Now it's just once a year.

Inspection is $28, emissions is $45 plus $2.40 for the MCI phone charge, sticker is $2, $36 for registration/sticker.

Do you have the ad valorem tax?

How much does it cost in your state to get your car inspected?

Hubs just got his inspected and an oil change. Cost was $120 total.

It depends on the type of vehicle

Passenger vehicles $29/year
Commercial $69/year.

If you fail inspection (which is very easy in this state) it will become MUCH more expensive.

We also have to pay an annual excise tax on our vehicles. If your car is worth $5000.00 your excise tax is $125.00 annually or $25/$1,000 of value

Last edited:
2 more years until my truck is considered an antique and I don't have to pay this shit...

...2 more years...

Arkansas used to have them, my dad did them, you could only charge $3.50. The stickers cost $2.50 each, so for a $1 my dad was expected to do a 30 minute inspection on a vehicle. For a long time he was the ONLY shop in town that did them. Cost him money to have someone do them as cars would just be lined up all day long. The last straw was when the state sent in an undercover car and fined him $100 for passing a windshield that he passed that they said didn't pass. He refused to do any more of them. About a year later Arkansas did away with inspections. Vehicle registration is $22-$27 dollars here depending on the gross weight of the vehicle.

What's a vehicle inspection? :lol:

ND_Legendary_white_on_red.jpg

I don't think so. . . . what is it?

They don't have those inspections here in Illinois which is a big surprise. When the leeches in Springfield figure out they can rake in untold large sums of loot from vehicle inspections, then we will begin to have them. Between the shade tree mechanics here and the politicians it would be a win-win deal for everybody except the guy getting his car inspected.

It's a tax you must pay to renew the registration of the vehicle every year. Based on the value of the vehicle and the county you live in.

My truck is the minimum ($15 or $20, can't remember). My brother in laws BMW one year, when he lived in Fulton County (considered metro Atlanta proper) was $800.

Arkansas used to have them, my dad did them, you could only charge $3.50. The stickers cost $2.50 each, so for a $1 my dad was expected to do a 30 minute inspection on a vehicle. For a long time he was the ONLY shop in town that did them. Cost him money to have someone do them as cars would just be lined up all day long. The last straw was when the state sent in an undercover car and fined him $100 for passing a windshield that he passed that they said didn't pass. He refused to do any more of them. About a year later Arkansas did away with inspections. Vehicle registration is $22-$27 dollars here depending on the gross weight of the vehicle.

I like that we have inspection, I like them having to check the basics. I made the assumption that all states had inspection for cars . . . you learn something new every day.

Now that you mention it I can't say off hand only that it's no where near what yours is though they do get us in another way. We pay an annual 4% property tax on our vehicles, trailers, etc. The percentage is based on the current blue book value of the vehicle.
We were phasing out this hated tax when the recession hit, now there's talk of keeping it where it is now or restoring it to it's old level.

It's a tax you must pay to renew the registration of the vehicle every year. Based on the value of the vehicle and the county you live in.

My truck is the minimum ($15 or $20, can't remember). My brother in laws BMW one year, when he lived in Fulton County (considered metro Atlanta proper) was $800.

No, our renewal registration is $36 for passenger vehicles for the state.

We don't have inspections, we renew our tabs every year, and wee hav an emission test every two years. You also only have to get an emission test if you live in the city, and if your car was made after a certain year.

Now that you mention it I can't say off hand only that it's no where near what yours is though they do get us in another way. We pay an annual 4% property tax on our vehicles, trailers, etc. The percentage is based on the current blue book value of the vehicle.
We were phasing out this hated tax when the recession hit, now there's talk of keeping it where it is now or restoring it to it's old level.

we pay property tax on vehicles to. Pisses me off, I have a 1965 Mustang that I'm still paying for. effectively.

Yeah, I thought our inspection was high (it's about $87-$90 just for the inspection/emissions) but I see that where it's cheaper in other states, they just get you in a different way.

we pay property tax on vehicles to. Pisses me off, I have a 1965 Mustang that I'm still paying for. effectively.

Unfortunately what happens is the counties and localities who rely on the distributions on moneys from property taxes start raising and or instituting new fees or increase local taxes to make up the difference. Frequently means we end up paying more in the long run.

Forum List

Back