Car Generalizations...

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
In my new part-time job at an auto auction, I get a chance to drive dozens of new and used cars all the time. Some things I've found rather surprising:

A Kia Soul is a pretty nice car.

ANY Lexus drives like a hundred-thousand dollar car.

With a few exceptions, BMW's are over-rated. But all the top-of-the-line German cars (Audi, BMW, M-B) are great cars. Incredible depreciation. They depreciate $40-60 thousand in 4 years.

There are TOO MANY 4-door, monstrous pickup trucks on the road. And they are worthless. Bed's too small to do anything worthwhile with them. Horrible gas mileage.

Honda Civic Si is one of the most enjoyable cars to drive.

For most people (it appears), when the Check Engine light comes on, it's time to trade in the car.

Volvo SUV's last forever.

"There are TOO MANY 4-door, monstrous pickup trucks on the road. And they are worthless. Bed's too small to do anything worthwhile with them. Horrible gas mileage."

But for some reason they make the owners feel better about themselves.

As I stand 6'4" tall I can not get into many of the afore mentioned imports. I have been relegated to trucks my entire life. Also I do not care for Lexus as they crush far to easy when hit by a real vehicle.

BMW is highly overrated.
Price a pair of front struts for the Lexus and then buy one! You won't.
MB no longer has a dip stick for the oil. Light goes off and you go to the dealer.
VW has to be dealer serviced to add brake fluid.
Coil on wire Ford's suffer more po3 codes then any car! Burnt cilynder.

i like OLD big cars but since i've been buying cars i get cheap economy cars since 1978 when i had to buy a first new car for the wife and kids . Motorcycles and other things are where i spend my money . Anyway , i am 6 foot 3 and , over 250 pounds and i drive our little tiny HONDA Fit no problem for the last 70 thousand miles once i SQUEEZE in . Before that it was a Corolla and before that a Tacoma , before that a little Nissan B210 . Also had a VEGA station wagon , think it was a 72 when i bought it used for 300 bucks then drove it for 10 years and sold it for 300 bucks . I also have a 89 Nissan pickup , long bed pickup truck owned from new thats still , straight , nice or at least decent looking and reliable . I paid 8300 hundred dollars for that pickup . ---------------- just a comment .

I'm a large fellow myself, so full sized trucks work for me too. Plus, I have had either a company truck or my own work truck for the last 20+ years. I like to be able to tow a trailer, see beyond the car in front of me, load up landscaping or gardening stuff in the spring, and more things that only a truck will do for me. And I want 4 doors. Whether people ride with me or not, I have stuff I take with me that needs to stay dry.

Its all about what you use your vehicle for.

Well pleased with mine.:)
2011-dodge-challenger-RT-front-three-quarter.jpg

In my new part-time job at an auto auction, I get a chance to drive dozens of new and used cars all the time. Some things I've found rather surprising:

A Kia Soul is a pretty nice car.

ANY Lexus drives like a hundred-thousand dollar car.

With a few exceptions, BMW's are over-rated. But all the top-of-the-line German cars (Audi, BMW, M-B) are great cars. Incredible depreciation. They depreciate $40-60 thousand in 4 years.

There are TOO MANY 4-door, monstrous pickup trucks on the road. And they are worthless. Bed's too small to do anything worthwhile with them. Horrible gas mileage.

Honda Civic Si is one of the most enjoyable cars to drive.

For most people (it appears), when the Check Engine light comes on, it's time to trade in the car.

Volvo SUV's last forever.

Hopefully you get a discount too? I worked one when I was a kid. We got first dibs at most cars depending on what they were. My Dad loved it.

One must have a dealer's license to buy or sell cars at the auction. This is a pretty big deal in Pennsylvania, so it is not done casually. Workers get to know some dealers, and if a car comes through that they like, they will try to work a deal with the dealer in advance. Sometimes it works out.

My problem with the 4door pickups is the tiny-ass bed. It is only about 5 feet. What the fuck can you do with a 5 foot bed? Lumber, paneling, drywall, plywood? Not easily. A motorcycle or quad? No. A load of mulch? Forget about it; the bucket at most nurseries is 6' wide, so they can't load a bucket of mulch (or mushroom manure, or...) into that pansy-ass bed. If you are going to have a truck, get a fucking truck, not some over-priced phallic symbol with a pretend bed.

Obviously, my opinion is not the prevailing opinion. These things are as popular as VW Bugs used to be.

Fixing ALL high end cars is expensive, for a number of reasons. That's why it is important, if you buy a high-end car, you get one that has a great record for reliability...i.e., Lexus. If you tend to love your cars and keep them for a decade or more, buy a Volvo, and prepare to be raped occasionally by the dealer. In fact, you NEED to find an independent mechanic who works on Volvo's so you don't have to go to the dealer, except is rare circumstances. There is a reason why Jag and Land Rover have horrible resale values, despite being great cars to drive. And BMW's have really lost their reputation for quality, but people keep buying them (like my wife), hoping that THIS generation of 3-series cars will be a good one Of course a 5-year 75k mile warranty (and free maintenance for three years) takes away some of the agita.

We have a local Saturday morning radio talk show called Auto Talk hosted by two guys who work at two decades old family owned repair shops that both have great service reputations around here. One of the hosts often says, "If you can't afford a new BMW you REALLY CAN'T afford a used BMW!"

Interesting. I got a big 4 door pickup. I can put my kayaks in the bed and tow my trailer with it for camping, and there's room in the back seat for a dog and the kid. For me it works out great. Anything longer than 5' I just lower the bed and strap it. Carried beds, lumber, rock, lots of random stuff. I will say that they've gotten HUGE. I had a 98 Silverado and think that the new Canyons/Colorado's are bigger trucks. The amazing thing is the towing capacity on these things. A half ton will easily pull what a 3/4 ton could max at 10 years ago.

I like the Civic SI, would enjoy seeing a Type R to try out though.

As for BMW's, I've always really liked the M series, M3 especially, but not wanting to spend that on one of those.

Forum List

Back