Captured Somali pirate to face trial in NY

Why wouldn't he? Unless this pirate was actually cooperating there is no way he should get off.

Why do you hate Democrats so much, I'm curious.

I don't hate Democrats. Some of my best friends are Democrats.

I hate liars.

I hate people who threaten to not uphold the constitution of the United States.

I hate people who want to tax and tax and tax and tax my hard-earned dollars.
otay...what does that have to do with punishing pirates? Are you just striking out in all directions or what?

Not at all. I answered your question.

This pirate committed two crimes (possibly more). These two crimes are punishable with sentences up to life.

The United States wants to make a statement about piracy. You try that with us, we will defend our ships and our crew. If we shoot you, so be it. If we capture you, you will spend the rest of your life in jail.

Hopefully, Holder will have cojones and say this. Hopefully, he won't try to be compassionate (because of the pirate age, or out of want to send a "we can get along" message around the world) and coddle this guy; plea out, send him back to Somalia for prison (hah) or...who knows what else.

Captured Somali pirate to face trial in NY

Why spend the money and effort? Save the propaganda and just walk him off the plank.

I don't hate Democrats. Some of my best friends are Democrats.

I hate liars.

I hate people who threaten to not uphold the constitution of the United States.

I hate people who want to tax and tax and tax and tax my hard-earned dollars.
otay...what does that have to do with punishing pirates? Are you just striking out in all directions or what?

This pirate committed two crimes (possibly more). These two crimes are punishable with sentences up to life.

The United States wants to make a statement about piracy. You try that with us, we will defend our ships and our crew. If we shoot you, so be it. If we capture you, you will spend the rest of your life in jail.

Hopefully, Holder will have cojones and say this. Hopefully, he won't try to be compassionate (because of the pirate age, or out of want to send a "we can get along" message around the world) and coddle this guy; plea out, send him back to Somalia for prison (hah) or...who knows what else.
The first three are dead so all is well there. And he can't be sent back to Somalia because it is a failed state. I have a feeling he'll end up with a life sentence, but of course you are free to bitch and moan that we follow the law until then.

The first three are dead so all is well there. And he can't be sent back to Somalia because it is a failed state. I have a feeling he'll end up with a life sentence, but of course you are free to bitch and moan that we follow the law until then.
so, if the case is thrown out because he wasnt mirandized, you would be fine having this guy as your neighbor?

I said "hopefully."

I hope they will do the right thing: Life in prison.

Lately though, this administration has said one thing and done another. People in the administration have been less than honest too.

Thus, hopefully.

so, if the case is thrown out because he wasnt mirandized, you would be fine having this guy as your neighbor?
No, but I'd want to see the Naval officers court martiled if they were obligated to do this and didn't.

I've no idea how this works. Does the navy not have the power to take pirates into custody and must they read them their rights? I don't think so.

No, but I'd want to see the Naval officers court martiled if they were obligated to do this and didn't.

I've no idea how this works. Does the navy not have the power to take pirates into custody and must they read them their rights? I don't think so.

i thought piracy was a capital offense.

I dunno...I think the law changed but I wasn't around the last time we caught a pirate. I think it is more treated like robbery or a kidnapping. I don't even think hijacking is a capital offense and really, there isn't much difference, is there?

i dont believe criminal investigation nor crime scene preservation is part of the training for most naval personel

I dunno...I think the law changed but I wasn't around the last time we caught a pirate. I think it is more treated like robbery or a kidnapping. I don't even think hijacking is a capital offense and really, there isn't much difference, is there?

here's what i found. i'd say it's not.

36 States with Death Penalty / 41 Federal Capital Crimes - Death Penalty - ProCon.org

36 States with Death Penalty / 41 Federal Capital Crimes - Death Penalty - ProCon.org
No, it looks like someone has to die to be a capital offense...or be guilty of espionage. Neither fits.

No, it looks like someone has to die to be a capital offense...or be guilty of espionage. Neither fits.

At least kidnapping. Throw in hijacking and you probably have enough for life in prison.

I'm waiting for the ACLU to get involved. Talk about his upbringing. Didn't know his parents, forced to commit crimes at a young age to survive, etc.

Could even say that because of a lack of education, he really didn't know that piracy was "wrong."

Madonna will want to adopt him and integrate him into society.

At least kidnapping. Throw in hijacking and you probably have enough for life in prison.

I'm waiting for the ACLU to get involved. Talk about his upbringing. Didn't know his parents, forced to commit crimes at a young age to survive, etc.

Could even say that because of a lack of education, he really didn't know that piracy was "wrong."

You've got a really skewed idea of what the ACLU defends...but that doesn't surprise me.

Keep up the good work.

You've got a really skewed idea of what the ACLU defends...but that doesn't surprise me.

Keep up the good work.
so, we have it on your authority that the ACLU will NOT intervene for this guy at all?

Keep up the good work.

Thanks! I will.

I appreciate the compliment.

Keep up the good work.
so, we have it on your authority that the ACLU will NOT intervene for this guy at all?

They will get involved...somehow. And if, for some bizarre reason, they don't, the public defender will try all these tactics.

Who knows..maybe ACORN will divert some funds for his defense.

Keep up the good work.
I doubt they will unless he is denied a fair trial.

F the pirate. Walk him off the freakin plank. He doesn't need to be glorified by his buddies going against the big bad USofA. Swift justice where he is treated as the low life that he is as the doctor ordered.

Forum List

Back