Captured Somali pirate to face trial in NY

Burp

Always carry, never tell
Jan 22, 2009
he captured Somali pirate who held a merchant ship captain hostage will be brought to New York to face trial, a U.S. official said Thursday.

The suspect, identified as Abduhl Wal-i-Musi, was taken aboard a U.S. Navy ship shortly before Navy SEAL snipers killed the three remaining pirates holding Capt. Richard Phillips hostage on a lifeboat launched from his cargo vessel, the Maersk Alabama.

The official said it was not immediately clear when Wal-i-Musi will be brought to New York. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to disclose information about an ongoing investigation.

Initially, he was thought to be between 16 years and 20 years of age, but Defense Secretary Robert Gates later said all four of the pirates involved were between ages 17 and 19.

If he is under 18, federal prosecutors must take a number of additional steps to justify charging him in federal court.

Though no charges have been publicly filed yet, the suspect could face charges that carry a maximum sentence of life in prison.

Source: Captured Somali pirate to face trial in NY

-----

A test for Holder - will he show he has cojones?

he captured Somali pirate who held a merchant ship captain hostage will be brought to New York to face trial, a U.S. official said Thursday.

The suspect, identified as Abduhl Wal-i-Musi, was taken aboard a U.S. Navy ship shortly before Navy SEAL snipers killed the three remaining pirates holding Capt. Richard Phillips hostage on a lifeboat launched from his cargo vessel, the Maersk Alabama.

The official said it was not immediately clear when Wal-i-Musi will be brought to New York. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to disclose information about an ongoing investigation.

Initially, he was thought to be between 16 years and 20 years of age, but Defense Secretary Robert Gates later said all four of the pirates involved were between ages 17 and 19.

If he is under 18, federal prosecutors must take a number of additional steps to justify charging him in federal court.

Though no charges have been publicly filed yet, the suspect could face charges that carry a maximum sentence of life in prison.

-----

If he gets tried in the Bronx, he'll not only win, but they'll run him for mayor.

and a jury of his peers will come from where..............

From here:

ABONGO (ROY) OBAMA :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Obama Family Tree

$obama-half-siblings_cst_feed_20070907_19_15_01_1244_h=282&w=400.jpg

So we see Obama treating terrorists as criminals, this is how Bill Clinton treating terrorists, this is why Bill Clinton says when refering to the Sudans offer to give the USA Obama bin Laden, "At the time, 1996, he had committed no crime against America, so I did not bring him here because we had no basis on which to hold him."

So under Obamas policy american citizens must have a crime commited against them and than Obama can prosecute. Isnt it nice having a lawyer as president.

On Tape, Clinton Admits Passing Up bin Laden Capture; Lewinsky Played Role

Then came the bombshell offer:

"If you want bin Laden, we will give you bin Laden," Foreign Minister Taha told Ambassador Carney.

Still, with the extraordinarily fortuitous offer on the table, back in Washington President Clinton had other things on his mind.

A timeline of events chronicled in the Starr Report shows that during the period of late January through March 1996, Mr. Clinton's relationship with Monica Lewinsky was then at its most intense.

On Feb. 4, 1996, for instance - two days before Ambassador Carney's key meeting with the Sudanese Foreign Minister, the president was focused not on Osama bin Laden, but instead on the 23-year-old White House intern.

Their rendezvous that day included a sexual encounter followed by a leisurely chat between Clinton and Lewinsky, as the two "sat and talked [afterward] for about 45 minutes," according to the Starr Report.

Later in the afternoon that same day, as Sudanese officials weighed their decision to offer bin Laden to the U.S., Clinton found time to call Lewinsky "[to say] he had enjoyed their time together." If there were any calls from Clinton to the State Department or Khartoum that day, the records have yet to surface in published reports.

The Feb. 4 encounter with Lewinsky followed a period of intense contact detailed in the Starr report in interviews with the former White House intern, including a sexual encounter on Jan. 6, 1996, several sessions of phone sex during the week of Jan. 14 - 21, and another sexual encounter on Jan. 21

-----

Oh for God's sakes just hang the bastard.

He's a PIRATE caught in the act on the high seas.

I'm as liberal as the next guy but honestly... there's a limit to my liberalism, too.

-----

Oh for God's sakes just hang the bastard.

He's a PIRATE caught in the act on the high seas.

I'm as liberal as the next guy but honestly... there's a limit to my liberalism, too.
wow, no "innocent until proven guilty"?
no "fair trial"?
maybe Obama should put him in GItmo ;)

This should be interesting. In the unlikely event that jackass goes to jail, he is going to have a religious experience that will likely attach new meaning to the word, piracy.

For those of you who don't know - from Urban Dictionary:

butt pirate: person who pilages another mans anus

According to U.S. law, both piracy and kidnapping could carry life sentences.

We will see. Again, if Holder has any cojones, he'll insist on this.

Why wouldn't he? Unless this pirate was actually cooperating there is no way he should get off.

Why do you hate Democrats so much, I'm curious.

Why wouldn't he? Unless this pirate was actually cooperating there is no way he should get off.

I don't hate Democrats. Some of my best friends are Democrats.

I hate liars.

I hate people who threaten to not uphold the constitution of the United States.

I hate people who want to tax and tax and tax and tax my hard-earned dollars.

I hate liars.

otay...what does that have to do with punishing pirates? Are you just striking out in all directions or what?

I hate liars.

otay...what does that have to do with punishing pirates? Are you just striking out in all directions or what?
what are the odds the US Navy personel read this guy his Miranda rights when he was captured?

hmmm?

Forum List

Back