Captain America

Toome

Feb 19, 2009
Great fun! I liked the way they handled why Captain America wears that costume, which may be more acceptable to today's movie audiences.

For hardcore Marvel fans, it features members of SGT Fury and His Howling Commandos.

I thought the movie was decent. I expected it to be crappy from the previews, but they did a pretty good job with a character I don't especially like. Once again they added a little setup for The Avengers; I hope that movie is good, and I love Joss Whedon, but wow they are hyping it too much.

I don't know how fans of Cap will feel about the movie, but if you don't know the character and like your basic super-hero action flick, you should enjoy this movie. It's no Dark Knight, but it's definitely a step above movies like the Spider-Man sequels.

I thought the movie was decent. I expected it to be crappy from the previews, but they did a pretty good job with a character I don't especially like. Once again they added a little setup for The Avengers; I hope that movie is good, and I love Joss Whedon, but wow they are hyping it too much.

I don't know how fans of Cap will feel about the movie, but if you don't know the character and like your basic super-hero action flick, you should enjoy this movie. It's no Dark Knight, but it's definitely a step above movies like the Spider-Man sequels.

I think it would be fair to say that Captain America is one of the lesser known or lesser popular comic book superheroes compared to Superman, Batman, the Hulk, Spider-Man, Iron Man, etc. So it's easy to pull it off without ruining the expectations of many fans. For example, screwing around with the relationship between Superman and Lois Lane like they did in Superman II and Superman Returns risked the scorn of hardliner fans who would prefer to just keep the story within its original parameters. The distinct advantage this movie enjoys is that it has to go back in time to a much simpler, less cynical America during World War II in order to tell its story. Not so sure how Captain America will fare in The Avengers which takes place during the present.

By the way, I like the hell out of the current Dark Knight series. When Bob Kane created Batman, he intended for Batman to be a vigilante who will break the law if necessary in order to fight crime. Batman's costume was created for the specific purpose of scaring the shit out of criminals. In the original Detective Comics series, Batman killed or maimed criminals, and, he showed no remorse! It wasn't until later that Batman's violent handling of criminals was toned down, especially with the introduction of Robin, so that greater moral lessons could be handed down. The Adam West portrayal all but ruined Batman. The series that began with Michael Keaton did little to help improve the Batman story. The Christian Bale version brought it back to the original storyline: a dark-hearted knight who is committed to vengeance in the name of justice.

I think it would be fair to say that Captain America is one of the lesser known or lesser popular comic book superheroes compared to Superman, Batman, the Hulk, Spider-Man, Iron Man, etc. So it's easy to pull it off without ruining the expectations of many fans. For example, screwing around with the relationship between Superman and Lois Lane like they did in Superman II and Superman Returns risked the scorn of hardliner fans who would prefer to just keep the story within its original parameters. The distinct advantage this movie enjoys is that it has to go back in time to a much simpler, less cynical America during World War II in order to tell its story. Not so sure how Captain America will fare in The Avengers which takes place during the present.

it should fare pretty well.......Cap was pretty popular during the 60's with the Marvel Comics Explosion......he became the De-Facto leader of the Avengers....did they show Nick Fury back in the 40's?.....

Sgt Nick Fury. God, I had forgotten the name............

ayers.jpg

it should fare pretty well.......Cap was pretty popular during the 60's with the Marvel Comics Explosion......he became the De-Facto leader of the Avengers....did they show Nick Fury back in the 40's?.....

No, would have been difficult to pull off because he would have to be in his 80's or 90's in present day. Then again, I can see Samuel L. Jackson pulling it off by saying he just looks that fucking good for a 90 year old!

Agent Peggy Carter only wears the red dress in one short scene? :cuckoo:

Other than that it's a great summer popcorn flick. Very well done and very much above par as super hero movies go. One unique feature and maybe my favorite, was that Steve Rogers was a hero before he was super. Nice. Also, Tommy Lee Jones was awesome (playing himself?) and a total scene stealer.

Question: With Avengers up next does that mean no Captain America sequels? Will there be prequels instead?

No, would have been difficult to pull off because he would have to be in his 80's or 90's in present day. Then again, I can see Samuel L. Jackson pulling it off by saying he just looks that fucking good for a 90 year old!
no he would not......Nick Fury was a Soldier in WW2.....and knew Steve Rodgers.....he was injured badly from a land Mine in France......and was found by a Scientist, whom i cant remember his name,and was used as a Guinea pig by the Scientist, and was injected with an experimental Serum called the Infinity Formula.....it healed him and its effect was,it made him age very slowly......as long as he continues to get Annual doses of it......and fought in a few more wars for the US Govt.......and in Comic reality,Fury was recruited by Tony Stark to head S.H.E.I.L.D......

Other than that it's a great summer popcorn flick. Very well done and very much above par as super hero movies go. One unique feature and maybe my favorite, was that Steve Rogers was a hero before he was super. Nice. Also, Tommy Lee Jones was awesome (playing himself?) and a total scene stealer.

Question: With Avengers up next does that mean no Captain America sequels? Will there be prequels instead?

Captain America had his own adventures after the Avengers......including teaming up with his old Pal Nick Fury and S.H.E.I.L.D......

Captain America had his own adventures after the Avengers......including teaming up with his old Pal Nick Fury and S.H.E.I.L.D......

That works for me. Cap and the Avengers are a little outside my comic book wheelhouse but most of the superhero movies have been pretty good. Come to think of it, my Marvel universe only included a few titles and all of my "expertise" in them fits snugly between 1983 and 1988.

Forum List

Back