Captain America

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Toome, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Toome

Toome Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +259
    Great fun! I liked the way they handled why Captain America wears that costume, which may be more acceptable to today's movie audiences.

For hardcore Marvel fans, it features members of SGT Fury and His Howling Commandos.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. St.Blues

St.Blues BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Glad you liked the movie...... I haven't seen it, I'm not a fan. I'd rather play my guitar. :)

3. Montrovant

Montrovant Fuzzy bears!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,346
    I thought the movie was decent. I expected it to be crappy from the previews, but they did a pretty good job with a character I don't especially like. Once again they added a little setup for The Avengers; I hope that movie is good, and I love Joss Whedon, but wow they are hyping it too much.

I don't know how fans of Cap will feel about the movie, but if you don't know the character and like your basic super-hero action flick, you should enjoy this movie. It's no Dark Knight, but it's definitely a step above movies like the Spider-Man sequels.

4. Toome

Toome Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +259
    I think it would be fair to say that Captain America is one of the lesser known or lesser popular comic book superheroes compared to Superman, Batman, the Hulk, Spider-Man, Iron Man, etc. So it's easy to pull it off without ruining the expectations of many fans. For example, screwing around with the relationship between Superman and Lois Lane like they did in Superman II and Superman Returns risked the scorn of hardliner fans who would prefer to just keep the story within its original parameters. The distinct advantage this movie enjoys is that it has to go back in time to a much simpler, less cynical America during World War II in order to tell its story. Not so sure how Captain America will fare in The Avengers which takes place during the present.

By the way, I like the hell out of the current Dark Knight series. When Bob Kane created Batman, he intended for Batman to be a vigilante who will break the law if necessary in order to fight crime. Batman's costume was created for the specific purpose of scaring the shit out of criminals. In the original Detective Comics series, Batman killed or maimed criminals, and, he showed no remorse! It wasn't until later that Batman's violent handling of criminals was toned down, especially with the introduction of Robin, so that greater moral lessons could be handed down. The Adam West portrayal all but ruined Batman. The series that began with Michael Keaton did little to help improve the Batman story. The Christian Bale version brought it back to the original storyline: a dark-hearted knight who is committed to vengeance in the name of justice.

5. Harry Dresden

Harry Dresden Latinum, Plantinum,Silver,Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13,636
    it should fare pretty well.......Cap was pretty popular during the 60's with the Marvel Comics Explosion......he became the De-Facto leader of the Avengers....did they show Nick Fury back in the 40's?.....

6. SFC Ollie

SFC Ollie Still Marching

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,457
    Sgt Nick Fury. God, I had forgotten the name............

[​IMG]

7. Harry Dresden

Harry Dresden Latinum, Plantinum,Silver,Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13,636
    one tough Dude Ollie....

8. Mr.Owl

Mr.Owl Geaux Tigers!!!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32
    very good movie. Not as good as the Iron Man movies or Thor though. The Hulk.....maybe. Still, who else can't wait for the Avengers?

9. Montrovant

Montrovant Fuzzy bears!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,346
    I'm not an Avengers fan, but with Whedon writing the script and directing, I have high hopes. :)

10. Toome

Toome Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +259
    No, would have been difficult to pull off because he would have to be in his 80's or 90's in present day. Then again, I can see Samuel L. Jackson pulling it off by saying he just looks that fucking good for a 90 year old!