capitlism and monoplies

I lump Target in with the "et al" part in my post to you, though. Target isn't exactly a mom and pop operation. They're competitive with Wal-mart. We used to have a store around here called Jamesway. Not a mom and pop, but I'm not necessarily being literal when I use that phrase. Jamesway had a more localized distribution chain, but Wal-mart and Target took their market share.

Bradlees is another example of a smaller discount department store that lost out to the Wal-marts of the world.
True as that is, the big stores still have a limited selection of merch. The mom-n-pops have moved from being general stores to vendors of boutique goods.

A good example is Dick's sporting goods or Sports Authority.....Even though they have a shitload of stuff, it's largely middle-of-the-road equipment. If you want top end race skis or baseball gear, you still have to go to a specialty store, which end up being the locally owned businesses.

You used to be able to buy just about anything in the world from Sears, and how are they doing today?

Well blu, you seem to have your opinion on regulation and how it could be used beneficially to control monopolies.

I'm a free market guy, but the constitution DOES allow for congress to regulate interstate commerce. There are regulations that I do agree with.

The "free market" doesn't have to equate to anarchy, with big business running rampant. It's too bad that most liberals don't understand that, or take the time to recognize it in their fervent attempts to chastize it.

and I think the interstate commerce laws are the only legal way the regulations I want could be done. Also I know the free market doesn't intend for big business to run rampant, but when international corporations have billions in bankroll how can mom & pop who have a 100k business loan compete?

Like Dude mentioned about quality...if that small business offers a quality product, they can compete. In the case of food, I will ALWAYS go to my local pizza shop that I like, over Pizza Hut or Dominoes, or what have you.

If I want a burger, I'm not going to McDonalds. I'm going to my local sandwich joint. There's enough people like me to keep small food businesses thriving.

But you can't hate on a big business just because they have billions in bankroll. They made their money, and they earned their spot in the marketplace. All you can do is support your small businesses of choice, and avoid the big ones as much as possible.

There are plenty of small businesses that PREFER to be small, and don't mind the minority market share in the face of a Wal-Mart, or a McDonalds existing within their market.

I lump Target in with the "et al" part in my post to you, though. Target isn't exactly a mom and pop operation. They're competitive with Wal-mart. We used to have a store around here called Jamesway. Not a mom and pop, but I'm not necessarily being literal when I use that phrase. Jamesway had a more localized distribution chain, but Wal-mart and Target took their market share.

Bradlees is another example of a smaller discount department store that lost out to the Wal-marts of the world.
True as that is, the big stores still have a limited selection of merch. The mom-n-pops have moved from being general stores to vendors of boutique goods.

A good example is Dick's sporting goods or Sports Authority.....Even though they have a shitload of stuff, it's largely middle-of-the-road equipment. If you want top end race skis or baseball gear, you still have to go to a specialty store, which end up being the locally owned businesses.

You used to be able to buy just about anything in the world from Sears, and how are they doing today?

True.

I'd never buy one of those cheesy "X-Treme" snowboards from Target. I'd rather pay $300 and get a good Burton, which you'll only find at a specialty shop.

Last edited:
Well blu, you seem to have your opinion on regulation and how it could be used beneficially to control monopolies.

I'm a free market guy, but the constitution DOES allow for congress to regulate interstate commerce. There are regulations that I do agree with.

The "free market" doesn't have to equate to anarchy, with big business running rampant. It's too bad that most liberals don't understand that, or take the time to recognize it in their fervent attempts to chastize it.

and I think the interstate commerce laws are the only legal way the regulations I want could be done. Also I know the free market doesn't intend for big business to run rampant, but when international corporations have billions in bankroll how can mom & pop who have a 100k business loan compete?

Like Dude mentioned about quality...if that small business offers a quality product, they can compete. In the case of food, I will ALWAYS go to my local pizza shop that I like, over Pizza Hut or Dominoes, or what have you.

If I want a burger, I'm not going to McDonalds. I'm going to my local sandwich joint. There's enough people like me to keep small food businesses thriving.

But you can't hate on a big business just because they have billions in bankroll. They made their money, and they earned their spot in the marketplace. All you can do is support your small businesses of choice, and avoid the big ones as much as possible.

There are plenty of small businesses that PREFER to be small, and don't mind the minority market share in the face of a Wal-Mart, or a McDonalds existing within their market.

ok well I think we agree on everything, I just word things weird. I also shop local when possible for food especially since I live right outside new orleans and the local food is a million times better than some chain crap.

Forum List

Back