Capitalistic RIP OFF! Warning!

Here's a price history of the stove Care wants to buy:

Englander 1,000 Sq. Ft. Satin Black 35 to 1 Wood Burning Stove

559732066.gif

Englander Wood Burning Stove - Satin Black: Compare Prices, View Price History and Read Reviews at NexTag

If the price was raised solely because of the government tax credit, I can certainly understand that. I remember when the American auto manufacturers complained about foreign competition, so the government imposed tariffs on foreign-made cars. As soon as that happened, the US car companies raised their prices to compensate.

Here's the telling part of your link:

Available Since: Aug 31, 2007

So it was introduced to the market at a low price (by the manufacturer) and when demand for it took off they have raised the price to $1000 to $1100 since.

An introductory price. It's an eeeeeeevil capitalistic conspiracy !~!!~1`1~!`!~~~!!!!!

Edit:
And oh yeah...it looks like the price has remained steady since May/June of 2008. So this time last year (October 2008) the price was approximately the same as it is now.

But it's all a conspiracy of those evil capitalists....sure...

Radio man, God as my Witness, I am not lying....this stove was $600-$650 last year, i was looking at it with my husband, and we went back and forth on it and whether to buy it or would we see a drop in price lower than the $600's...it is the only 35 to 1 stove that they have....it is possible that we were viewing it last year, when on sale or was already with a reduced price, this I do not know for certain, so I will admit that I just don't know this piece of the puzzle....out side of that, this same stove that we wanted last year and could buy in the $600's last year is NOW $1100 bucks...

559732066.gif

Englander Wood Burning Stove - Satin Black: Compare Prices, View Price History and Read Reviews at NexTag

If the price was raised solely because of the government tax credit, I can certainly understand that. I remember when the American auto manufacturers complained about foreign competition, so the government imposed tariffs on foreign-made cars. As soon as that happened, the US car companies raised their prices to compensate.

So it was introduced to the market at a low price (by the manufacturer) and when demand for it took off they have raised the price to $1000 to $1100 since.

An introductory price. It's an eeeeeeevil capitalistic conspiracy !~!!~1`1~!`!~~~!!!!!

Edit:
And oh yeah...it looks like the price has remained steady since May/June of 2008. So this time last year (October 2008) the price was approximately the same as it is now.

Radio man, God as my Witness, I am not lying....this stove was $600-$650 last year, i was looking at it with my husband, and we went back and forth on it and whether to buy it or would we see a drop in price lower than the $600's...it is the only 35 to 1 stove that they have....it is possible that we were viewing it last year, when on sale or was already with a reduced price, this I do not know for certain, so I will admit that I just don't know this piece of the puzzle....out side of that, this same stove that we wanted last year and could buy in the $600's last year is NOW $1100 bucks...

So you were looking at them at the end of the season when the store was trying to move them out to make room for the spring merchandise.

Either that or it was a return that they were trying to move.

559732066.gif

Edit:

What month last year? Prices are not static.

Edit:

So you were looking at them at the end of the season when the store was trying to move them out to make room for the spring merchandise.

the return or left over initial stock is certainly possible....it was not at the end of the season last year, it was preseason, the end of summer at the latest...last year.

the return or left over initial stock is certainly possible....it was not at the end of the season last year, it was preseason, the end of summer at the latest...last year.

ANYWAY-------Can we safely assume you condemnation of evil capitalists was a bit premature ?
:lol:

So, this morning I decide to look on line at Home Depot and Lowes for a wood stove. We were going to buy one last year and never got a chance. Both Home depot and Lowes had the same stove to heat a 1500 square foot home for around $599 last year, the same parent company made them for both companies, under each company's private label or exclusive label...but my research found that it was the same company making both and the features and benefits of the toves at both stores were identical...but at times one store over the other offered free shipping....

I go to home depot and the cheapest stove is around $1200 bucks this year!!!!!!!!

Go to lowes and about the same, 2 for $1000 bucks but many for $2000! And NOTHING LAST YEAR WAS $2000, $1400 was the mnost expensive stove and it was for a pellet stove which are more expensive...

Both stores were the same, they raised their prices by 30% to 50% from last year and I am so pissed we did not buy it last year before they decided to GOUGE US...

At first, coming from the retail industry, I thought what in the world could have caused these astronomical price increases on EPA approved wood stoves? Could it be the metal that had spiked in cost, or the labor in the foreign country making them spiked?

Then I thought, those son of bitches expect heating oil prices to hit highs and people being willing to pay more for a wood stove...hmmm, I said to myself, I am really hitting on something and lowes and home depot decided to PRICE FIX together on it...which is ILLEGAL btw....

THEN the real LIGHT BULB WENT OFF...the son of a bitches at home depot and lowes raised their prices on EPA APPROVED wood stoves 30% or more on last year's prices......

DRUM ROLLLLLLL.....................

Because we have a 30% TAX CREDIT available from our government's stimulus package to encourage the purchase or investment in any heating system that is good for the environment, and the newer wood stoves emit nothing now, so they qualified for this credit...

AND THE SOB BUYERS at Lowes and home depot decided to GOUGE US and raise their prices so that the TAX CREDIT is worth nothing to us consumers and they get to pocket the money for selling $1200 wood stoves to us while the government's tax credit that was suppose to actually be for us is essentially given to the BIG CORPORATION that raised their prices for the event, and not us....

This is NOT the government's fault...this is pure GREED of the corporation and price fixing by them both, imo, so that they both have the same prices...instead on one of them not raising their prices, we have them in cahoots on pricing.

Damn it....this really pisses me off...

Care

I think this rant is very reasonable assuming that the details are correct (I don't kow, of course, but I assume you're right).

If you live close enough to me, Care, I've got a great woodstove, suitable for heating a small home (and it's pretty, too!) that I'll sell you for about half it's original retail value if that helps.

What kind of make on the Stove Ed? and does it have legs or is it on a pedestal? We are looking for an old fashioned looking with legs....it can't be too big, because our house is small and we do not want to overheat it or waste wood on a large wood stove....we have a huge center home fireplace that is big enough for me to walk in to it, (I kid you not...the opening is 3 and half feet wide by 5 feet tall) that we plan to set the wood stove in and run the pipe up the chimney....from this chimney there is a clay pipe that leads in to the master bedroom up stairs that is surrounded by brick, maybe 7 feet up on one of the bedroom walls that we can run another double pipe through to also heat the upstairs....or to put in another stove for up there.

It's not on legs, Care, it's on a pedestal. It's a front loader (top exhaust)with a brass trimmed window in the front. Very pretty, very functional, too.

It's an Aladin 4100 stand-alone style.

Based on where you tell me you'll be putting it, there's plenty of room in your fireplace.

It's a modern woodstove designed to heat a modest home. (say 1500 SF)

A well stoked fire will last through through the night (and I presume you understand how important that really is, right?)

It's about ten years old and I used modestly for about two seasons.

It was given to me by people so rich they never used it because (I kid you not) once they got it into their home, they didn't think it suited their decor! (must be nice, huh?)

I think they paid about $1500 for it, new.

It's totally wasted just sitting in my shed.

And since these kids are living in that shed, now, I'd like to get it out of the there so they aren't tempted to use it. (yes, it's hooked up and ready to use, right now)

They're good kids and all, but that shed is too damned crowded for me to let them heat it with a wood stove, know what I mean?

So I put a gas stove in there for them, instead, assuming they ever get the dough to buy the gas.

If you or you husband wants to look at it, just let me know by PM and I'll give you my phone number.

Didn't we figure out you and I are less than 50 miles from each other?

If that's the case, and you guys want this stove, I can deliver it.

Home solar panels could ELIMINATE rolling blackouts. The EXACT TIME OF DAY when the MOST power is needed for A/C would be the EXACT time they would produce the most energy. I would LOVE to come home to a cool house and know my power bill won't be $500.

Not really, it's still a pipe dream.

ANYWAY-------Can we safely assume you condemnation of evil capitalists was a bit premature ?

I would still need further proof.... but it is possible that i was wrong and just caught on a lost leader price when the stove initially hit.

I would still need further proof.... but it is possible that i was wrong and just caught on a lost leader price when the stove initially hit.

You already said the reason in one of your posts, last year they were on sale. Most likely they over stocked if it was this time last year.

Home solar panels could ELIMINATE rolling blackouts. The EXACT TIME OF DAY when the MOST power is needed for A/C would be the EXACT time they would produce the most energy. I would LOVE to come home to a cool house and know my power bill won't be $500.

Not really, it's still a pipe dream.

Oh really do elaborate.

I think this rant is very reasonable assuming that the details are correct (I don't kow, of course, but I assume you're right).

If you live close enough to me, Care, I've got a great woodstove, suitable for heating a small home (and it's pretty, too!) that I'll sell you for about half it's original retail value if that helps.

What kind of make on the Stove Ed? and does it have legs or is it on a pedestal? We are looking for an old fashioned looking with legs....it can't be too big, because our house is small and we do not want to overheat it or waste wood on a large wood stove....we have a huge center home fireplace that is big enough for me to walk in to it, (I kid you not...the opening is 3 and half feet wide by 5 feet tall) that we plan to set the wood stove in and run the pipe up the chimney....from this chimney there is a clay pipe that leads in to the master bedroom up stairs that is surrounded by brick, maybe 7 feet up on one of the bedroom walls that we can run another double pipe through to also heat the upstairs....or to put in another stove for up there.

It's not on legs, Care, it's on a pedestal. It's a front loader (top exhaust)with a brass trimmed window in the front. Very pretty, very functional, too.

It's an Aladin 4100 stand-alone style.

Based on where you tell me you'll be putting it, there's plenty of room in your fireplace.

It's a modern woodstove designed to heat a modest home. (say 1500 SF)

A well stoked fire will last through through the night (and I presume you understand how important that really is, right?)

It's about ten years old and I used modestly for about two seasons.

It was given to me by people so rich they never used it because (I kid you not) once they got it into their home, they didn't think it suited their decor! (must be nice, huh?)

I think they paid about $1500 for it, new.

It's totally wasted just sitting in my shed.

And since these kids are living in that shed, now, I'd like to get it out of the there so they aren't tempted to use it. (yes, it's hooked up and ready to use, right now)

They're good kids and all, but that shed is too damned crowded for me to let them heat it with a wood stove, know what I mean?

So I put a gas stove in there for them, instead, assuming they ever get the dough to buy the gas.

If you or you husband wants to look at it, just let me know by PM and I'll give you my phone number.

Didn't we figure out you and I are less than 50 miles from each other?

If that's the case, and you guys want this stove, I can deliver it.

I think we are only about 20 miles from each other Ed if you are in S/Springs? Let me talk it over with matt...do you have a digital where you can take a pic of it and send it to me so i can show matt?

And yes, DO NOT let the boys use the wood stove in the shed!

You already said the reason in one of your posts, last year they were on sale. Most likely they over stocked if it was this time last year.

I said i did not know if it was a sale price that matt and I were looking at last year, not certain, one way or the other, I just know the price was in the $600's... if Radio man is correct or xsisted and they came in Fall of 2007 initial delivery in the 600's...they would have carried over in to 2008 at that price in jan, feb, march april, may, June....and probably not have gone up to the $1000-$1100 price until their new fall stock came in for Fall 2008...so we could have been viewing it at regular price of $600 from left over stock since it was preseason when we were looking...and this is why I could be wrong on my initial thread post.

Last edited:

I said i did not know if it was a sale price that matt and I were looking at last year, not certain, one way or the other, I just know the price was in the $600's... if Radio man is correct or xsisted and they came in Fall of 2007 initial delivery in the 600's...they would have carried over in to 2008 at that price in jan, feb, march april, may, June....and probably not have gone up to the $1000-$1100 price until their new fall stock came it...so we could have been viewing it at regular price of $600 from left over stock since it was preseason when we were looking...and this is why I could be wrong on my initial thread post.

Large appliance prices fluctuate a lot. Those which the demand varies based on season change even more. There are a lot of factors to consider, when they lower the price in the off season they have to raise it eventually or face going out of business with bankruptcy. Here in Seattle prices on all wood burning stove recently went way up because of an "environmental" tax added to them.

I said i did not know if it was a sale price that matt and I were looking at last year, not certain, one way or the other, I just know the price was in the $600's... if Radio man is correct or xsisted and they came in Fall of 2007 initial delivery in the 600's...they would have carried over in to 2008 at that price in jan, feb, march april, may, June....and probably not have gone up to the $1000-$1100 price until their new fall stock came it...so we could have been viewing it at regular price of $600 from left over stock since it was preseason when we were looking...and this is why I could be wrong on my initial thread post.

Large appliance prices fluctuate a lot. Those which the demand varies based on season change even more. There are a lot of factors to consider, when they lower the price in the off season they have to raise it eventually or face going out of business with bankruptcy. Here in Seattle prices on all wood burning stove recently went way up because of an "environmental" tax added to them.

Agreed. And this is why many manufatures go out of business along with outlets, etc. The government imposes taxes for whatever reason happens to be in fashion, and the price goes up.

The manufacturers never pay the tax of course, it gets passed on to the consumer. Just look at what happened with the Auto industry? The EPA kept imposing these kind of regulations on them, and look what happened to the prices of Autos?

In my view? all these problems stem from Government tinkering, and it winds up hurting the people that it is supposed to protect in the long run.

Just look around you. Look at what we are witnessing? And the Government wants to pile on more of these regulations to keep itself going.

Something's gotta give.

Agreed. And this is why many manufatures go out of business along with outlets, etc. The government imposes taxes for whatever reason happens to be in fashion, and the price goes up.

The manufacturers never pay the tax of course, it gets passed on to the consumer. Just look at what happened with the Auto industry? The EPA kept imposing these kind of regulations on them, and look what happened to the prices of Autos?

In my view? all these problems stem from Government tinkering, and it winds up hurting the people that it is supposed to protect in the long run.

Just look around you. Look at what we are witnessing? And the Government wants to pile on more of these regulations to keep itself going.

Something's gotta give.

Those who rant about "big corporations" also fail to see that the prices are never corrected due to the regulations that prevent any competition from growing. All it does when the government tinkers with business is make it impossible for anyone but the rich to get rich.

Sorry Care, but Lowes has EPA approved wood stoves on their website that heat 1800 square feet for as low as $729.

Summers Heat at Lowe's: 1,800 Sq. Ft. Wood Burning Stove

There are two models on display at our local store under $650.

No they don't...put in a zip near me...try 04669 or 04605 where they make you put in a store location near you...

In Store
Buy online and pickup at your local Lowe's store: LOWE'S OF ELLSWORTH, ME

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=8492-76845-50-SNC13LC&lpage=none

LOL nothing better than catching someone in a lie.

Last edited:
Sorry Care, but Lowes has EPA approved wood stoves on their website that heat 1800 square feet for as low as $729.

There are two models on display at our local store under $650.

No they don't...put in a zip near me...try 04669 or 04605 where they make you put in a store location near you...

In Store
Buy online and pickup at your local Lowe's store: LOWE'S OF ELLSWORTH, ME

LOL nothing better than catching someone in a lie.

i don't have an 1800 sq foot home???? why would i be looking at THAT model last year or this year silly?

Forum List

Back