Environmental Protection Agency
EPA Docket Center (EPA/DC)
Mailcode 6102T
Attention Docket ID No. EPA-HQ-OAR-2009-0171
1200 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20460

By electronic delivery to: [email protected]

Re: Proposed Endangerment and Cause or Contribute Findings for
Greenhouse Gases under Section 202(a) of the Clean Air Act, Docket ID No.
EPA-HQ-OAR-2009-0171

Contact Information

Name: Sam Kazman, General Counsel
Organization: Competitive Enterprise Institute (CEI)
Mailing Address: 1899 L Street, 12th Floor
Washington, DC 20036
Phone: 202-331-2265
E-mail: [email protected]

The Competitive Enterprise Institute (CEI), a non-profit, free-market public
policy organization, hereby submits these comments on EPA’s Proposed Endangerment
and Cause or Contribute Findings for Greenhouse Gases under Section 202(a) of the
Clean Air Act.1

EPA, Proposed Endangerment and Cause or Contribute Findings for Greenhouse Gases Under Section
202(a) of the Clean Air Act, 74 Fed. Reg. 18,886, (April 24, 2009).

CEI is submitting a set of four EPA emails, dated March 12-17, 2009, which
indicate that a significant internal critique of EPA’s position on Endangerment was
essentially put under wraps and concealed. The study was barred from being circulated
within EPA, it was never disclosed to the public, and it was not placed in the docket of
this proceeding. The emails further show that the study was treated in this manner not
because of any problem with its quality, but for political reasons.

CEI hereby requests that EPA make this study public, place it into the docket,
and either extend or reopen the comment period to allow public response to this new
study. We also request that EPA publicly declare that it will engage in no reprisals
against the author of the study, who has worked at EPA for over 35 years.

The emails, attached hereto, consist of the following:

Thats the point though Xenophon, these technologies that are supported by the "green business lobby" are no more environmentally friendly than any other existing energy technology and they all have their problems. It's all about who is marketing what to whom. So they cannot get anyone to buy their product so they are going to create a market for one where none existed. The funny thing about all this , is the big mantra in the bill about "green jobs" that has to be the biggest joke of the entire bill. the largest wind turbine company is a Spanish company and is at this moment constructing wind farms here in the United States. Lithium Ion batteries, largest producer of those? China.. Solar, panels and solar drive motors, Japan. So yes our tax money is going to create a lot of green jobs alright just not here.
That should wake people up but so many are already struggling to make ends meet they do not or cannot pay attention.

Thats the point though Xenophon, these technologies that are supported by the "green business lobby" are no more environmentally friendly than any other existing energy technology and they all have their problems. It's all about who is marketing what to whom. So they cannot get anyone to buy their product so they are going to create a market for one where none existed. The funny thing about all this , is the big mantra in the bill about "green jobs" that has to be the biggest joke of the entire bill. the largest wind turbine company is a Spanish company and is at this moment constructing wind farms here in the United States. Lithium Ion batteries, largest producer of those? China.. Solar, panels and solar drive motors, Japan. So yes our tax money is going to create a lot of green jobs alright just not here.
That should wake people up but so many are already struggling to make ends meet they do not or cannot pay attention.

I completely agree RodISHI that people are struggling and as such just to hear the words "jobs" in any form which will bring some form of relief will be welcome news. The sad part of all this is that, this nation can bring jobs in the energy sector and a lot of them domestically if it were willing to do the hard work necessary and cast aside these special interests groups that have no interests but their own in mind. Imagine if you will a resurgant steele industry supplying the needs of a massive nuclear power construction project(s). Or the vast depost of of oil in shale in the West as yet untapped. how many jobs would that mean if we put forth the effort to harness it. It's my humble opinion that these groups thrive on misery and misinformation to fool the public into believing that things need to be done their way and often times to the publics own demise. Take the water project in Ak. for example, that has been on hold now for 10 years because an environmental group has got a court order to stop construction to look for a wood pecker that has not been seen since 1940. How many people has this helped in the way of jobs, and agriculture that were depending on this water? Same goes with lumber. No I submit once this nation casts aside these special interests groups that do more harm to Americans than good, then we will all be much better off.

If only Americans were allowed to utilize American resources - the jobs created would be significant.

As it is, the wind turbines, the batteries - the vast majority of those jobs are already established overseas.

Cap n Trade is such rubbish - a government power grab.

Added to the attempts for national health care - an even more significant power grab.

Hopefully the gutless turds called Congressional Republicans will do some semblance of intelligent opposition and get assistance from moderate Democrats in opposing this madness...

Just think how many jobs would be created if we could drill for our own oil.

I'm aware of the fraud going on, but to a lot of people, you say 'evirnomentaly friendly' or 'green technology' and that is all they need to hear and its full speed ahead.

These things need to eventually happen. Taxes eventually need to go up to pay for our spending.

Maybe if we bring jobs back home and wages go up, you won't mind paying a little bit more in taxes.

But you'll fight for the status quo and be distracted by politics and the media's spin on things.

That's why a lot of people get frustrated with the whole 2 party process and they gravitate to the "every man for himself Libertarian party". To people who are successful, that seems like a better solution. You feel you can fend for yourself. And maybe you can, but that's not how the US works. We catch you if you fall. And, if we went that route, you might actually fall, because there would be nothing to stop it. That's why irresponsible deregulations are bad. But you guys never want to talk about specifics. You just want to say Regulations Bad, Deregulations Good. Which Regulations? Oh, you never thought of that huh?

I hope this Cap and Trade thing pushes us towards alternative energy. Do you have solor panels or a windmill? You should. So should I. But instead we stay with the status quo.

With this Bill, Obama and his liberal cronies will just inflict more damaging economic harm right into the heart of this nation. They are taking a bad situation and making it devastating. When this false prince falls from his throne in the White House, his ass is going to hit hard.

If only Americans were allowed to utilize American resources - the jobs created would be significant.

As it is, the wind turbines, the batteries - the vast majority of those jobs are already established overseas.

Cap n Trade is such rubbish - a government power grab.

Added to the attempts for national health care - an even more significant power grab.

Hopefully the gutless turds called Congressional Republicans will do some semblance of intelligent opposition and get assistance from moderate Democrats in opposing this madness...

Well then start demanding that jobs come back home. But you won't.

And you mean you hope the GOP and "sellout Democrats" obstruct progress.

With this Bill, Obama and his liberal cronies will just inflict more damaging economic harm right into the heart of this nation. They are taking a bad situation and making it devastating. When this false prince falls from his throne in the White House, his ass is going to hit hard.

Listen to you cry about $1 trillion and you don't even realize the bankers have spent $9 trillion in the last 8 months. Wake up people.

One Penny Sheet » Federal Reserve Cannot Account for $9 Trillion video

I'm no expert, but wouldn't that kind of spending cause hyper inflation?

And did you cry about the Iraq war spending? Oh maybe now you will because Obama's in office, but not the last 6 years. Those trillions could have helped to pay for a lot of things, but now you have to pay for them, AND you have to pay China back for the money we borrowed to fund the Iraq war. What, you thought you would never have to pay for the war? Maybe we should repeal the Bush tax cuts? OR, do you want your taxes to go up.

There is no making sense to you poostees.

well, it is on cspan now and for the morning 1 minute speeches of the House, there were several Dems up there saying to vote NO on this bill.....

I don't think it will pass....

well, it is on cspan now and for the morning 1 minute speeches of the House, there were several Dems up there saying to vote NO on this bill.....

I don't think it will pass....

It won't. Sometimes I think the Dems promote shit like this just to get the conversation going. Why else do they pitch such bad ideas? How about for once they let the GOP raise taxes. Why do Dems always have to come up with the ideas on how to pay for shit the GOP bought?

Its like when Obama said he wanted to give the Federal Reserve more power. Say what?

Or when Charles B. Rangel said he wanted to bring back the draft. I think he was trying to make a point. We need to go green. How we gonna do it? Cap & Trade? No? Then how? And this is how you get the conversation moving forward. If righties don't like Cap and Trade, tell us your solution.

I don't even fully understand Cap and Trade. Doesn't matter. Do the Republicans on USMB have any answers? Then they should shut the fuck up. That or start having ideas. GOOD ideas. Status quo not an option.

I don't even fully understand Cap and Trade. Doesn't matter. Do the Republicans on USMB have any answers? Then they should shut the fuck up. That or start having ideas. GOOD ideas. Status quo not an option.

I'm not exactly a republican, but, simply because someone doesn't have the answer, they can't complain when the government wants to get deeper into their pockets?

sorry but that isn't exactly fair.

It's like the healthcare mess, what we currently have needs fixed, now, what is the best fix? I sure don't know, but, I understand the socialized programs that Obama wishes to have us operate like and they are not good. They actually have more problems than we do now. I know, I have received care under such programs and my family does daily. Further other family members work within such a system in several European countries and they don't work. They are not the answer for us.

Our problems stem from both sides of the isle, neither party is innocent, but, it is the democrats who have the ball in their court now, so it falls to them. As does the bitching about much of the foolishness.

I understand the socialized programs that Obama wishes to have us operate like and they are not good. They actually have more problems than we do now. I know, I have received care under such programs and my family does daily. Further other family members work within such a system in several European countries and they don't work. They are not the answer for us.

Our problems stem from both sides of the isle, neither party is innocent, but, it is the democrats who have the ball in their court now, so it falls to them. As does the bitching about much of the foolishness.

You understand or you have been misled to believe?

And I hear opinions from people in other countries that contradict what you've heard. Which leads me to believe that you are being misled by the corporate media and/or people who don't want healthcare reform.

And to be honest, just the way you worded your sentence tells me you're swallowing the BS from the right. Look at what you wrote. "the socialized programs that Obama wishes to have us operate like and they are not good."

Yea, that's what he wants. Something that is worse than what we have now. :cuckoo:

You may not be a partisan hack, but you sure do listen to them.

There is no better way to ration healthcare than to deny someone healthcare because of pre existing conditions. Or have a FOR PROFIT only allow an inferior procedure or medicine because it will increase their profits.

And every other country has it. Some do some things better than others. We spend more than all of them, which means we don't have to have the same problems they have.

And I have to wait 2 weeks or 2 months now for an appointment.

And how come John McCain and all the other Senators love their healthcare? Seems to work for them.

And remember, we had to fight for medicare just like we are fighting for healthcare reform now. The righties you are listening to said the same things about it then that they say about single payer now. Try taking medicare away from seniors and see what they say.

I hope this Cap and Trade thing pushes us towards alternative energy.
You don't understand, poor and old people cannot pay more, nor will any US jobs be created.

On top of that, its now becoming clear that 'global warming' is a HOAX.

The planent has actually been cooling for a decade.

Are you enough of a fool to destroy the economy and make the old and poor suffer for a pipe dream?

Way to NOT look after the people that need it most.

This was the true danger of one party rule, crazy fucktards like Nancy Pelosi passing all kinds of nonsense based on highly desputed data and SHE won't suffer when it fails as she is rich.

But YOU will, and so will I.

This is literally the end of the US economy.

This push towards green jobs is laughable... Who do you think is going to be making the parts for the wind mills, solar panels, etc... sheesh.... it sure isn't going to be the USA.

they just said on the floor of the house, for every one job created two will be lost..

Forum List

Back