Cantor pulls out of Biden debt talks

Cantor is proving once again how truly obstructionsit pubs are. We cannot cut our way to prosperity. Also during Bush years the debt ceiling was raised aprox. 10X with strings attached.

Well now, it seems there exists a consensus of opinion, Cantor is acting out of principle and not raising the debt ceiling is good for America. Is there room for another opinion?

Cantor wants to be Speaker of the House. Knowing Boehner is vulnerable he takes every oppourtunity to put his name and face out there. Cantor is not stupid, his ambition is boundless and the harm to others and our nation should the debt ceiling is not raised, or revenue increased to save programs, is acceptable for the end (his speakership) justifies the harm.

The GOP argues our debt is too high and deficit spending can no longer be tolerated. Their track records suggests this is nothing but election rhetoric. Don't be fooled into believing deficit spending will end this year or next, or that the Republicans will not continue to spend and not tax. Our problems are not a product of tax and spend Democrats exclusively, for spent and cut revenue and taxes Republicans exacerbated the problem enormously during the first decade of this century.

Suggesting otherwise is a lie.

Cantor is proving once again how truly obstructionsit pubs are. We cannot cut our way to prosperity. Also during Bush years the debt ceiling was raised aprox. 10X with strings attached.

we cant get there with govt spending either, unemployment is over 9% after over 2 years of this stimulus and govt spending sham.

So what do you suggest we do? I have ideas but i dont think you will agree with me ;).

Well now, it seems there exists a consensus of opinion, Cantor is acting out of principle and not raising the debt ceiling is good for America. Is there room for another opinion?

Cantor wants to be Speaker of the House. Knowing Boehner is vulnerable he takes every oppourtunity to put his name and face out there. Cantor is not stupid, his ambition is boundless and the harm to others and our nation should the debt ceiling is not raised, or revenue increased to save programs, is acceptable for the end (his speakership) justifies the harm.

The GOP argues our debt is too high and deficit spending can no longer be tolerated. Their track records suggests this is nothing but election rhetoric. Don't be fooled into believing deficit spending will end this year or next, or that the Republicans will not continue to spend and not tax. Our problems are not a product of tax and spend Democrats exclusively, for spent and cut revenue and taxes Republicans exacerbated the problem enormously during the first decade of this century.

The GOP is right that our debt is too high and deficit spending can no longer be tolerated.

You are right that the GOP track record (along with the DEMs which you didn't mention) shows that they behave counter to that claim.

Maybe the reps finally see the light and will practice what conservatives have been preaching at them to practice for several election cycles now.....or maybe they will continue to be progressive republicans and keep on keeping on with the defecit spending.

Yeah...so let's just keeping jumping off the cliff because everyone has in front of us.
Got any other great plan?:eusa_eh:

we cant get there with govt spending either, unemployment is over 9% after over 2 years of this stimulus and govt spending sham.

So what do you suggest we do? I have ideas but i dont think you will agree with me ;).

Moneys should be put in infrastructure. Roll back Bush tax cuts for wealthy. I do know that Obama continued them because middle cllas & lower got a lil bit. But I for one woulod have been willing to lose mine to help fix this nation. The wealthy however were not willing. Gov. programs not sure? For example I have filed for SS disability. I have spinal cord injury. However I was turned down even tho I know that folks who are not disabl;ed & or disabled by their own doing get it. I could have gotten it yrs. ago but I chose to keep going without it. Now that I'm worse off tired & old I no longer qualify. Sooo if these proigrams are run sooo very poorly than maybe ax them. Your thoughts?

Vote these fucks out!!! ALL Democrats, ALL pre2010 Republicans.

They are corrupt shitbags. The new wave of politicians just MIGHT include some good ones if we vote the old scum out, and of course, toss the Boy King of Chicago out of office with 'em.

This morning we find out that House Majority leader Eric Cantor is withdrawing from negotiations over the debt ceiling talks, citing the dems unwillingness to move from thir stance on tax hikes. Cantor says a tax hike cannot pass the House and so he pulled out of the meetings.
He's never been the same, since Obama (publicly) smacked-him-around.....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuygCN_tq8k]YouTube - ‪President Obama Chides Rep. Cantor for Use of Props at Health-Care Summit‬‏[/ame]

325.gif

Debt accumulates when you have too little revenue and too much spending. You can't attack $14.5 trillion in debt by attacking only half the equation

This means EVERYONE needs to make sacrifices. We need to revert to previous tax rates, cut allowable deductions, we need to scale down social programs, we need to look at why we need so powerful a millitary, why we are engaged in so many conflicts around the world

We can't do it all by raising taxes and we can't do it all by cutting spending. We need politicians who will COMPROMISE and stop the posturing and grandstanding

This morning we find out that House Majority leader Eric Cantor is withdrawing from negotiations over the debt ceiling talks, citing the dems unwillingness to move from thir stance on tax hikes. Cantor says a tax hike cannot pass the House and so he pulled out of the meetings.

My opinion, he can spout off about it, but walking away does not look good. Reminds me of the dems that left Wisconsin or Indiana a little bit, you're supposed to keep fighting and talking rather than quit. I'm sure this is an attempt to apply political pressure on the president, McConnell is already saying the president has to lead. Maybe it makes political sense, but could backfire if the public's perception is that the GOP is being too stubborn and uncooperative. People want results not finger pointing.

This actually walking out on doing his doing, taxpayer pays him to do his job, I wonder what would happen if I walked out on doing my job?

Debt accumulates when you have too little revenue and too much spending. You can't attack $14.5 trillion in debt by attacking only half the equation

This means EVERYONE needs to make sacrifices. We need to revert to previous tax rates, cut allowable deductions, we need to scale down social programs, we need to look at why we need so powerful a millitary, why we are engaged in so many conflicts around the world

We can't do it all by raising taxes and we can't do it all by cutting spending. We need politicians who will COMPROMISE and stop the posturing and grandstanding

Jimmy Carter did all of that.
Got a plan B?

Yes you can do it by attacking half the equation. When you cut spending the tax dollars that are saved from that cut can then be spent elsewhere. Lowering the debt expenditures in essence raises your disposable income.
I know the concept is complicated but as with learning to ride a bike if you keep trying one day you'll get it!

My opinion, he can spout off about it, but walking away does not look good. Reminds me of the dems that left Wisconsin or Indiana a little bit, you're supposed to keep fighting and talking rather than quit. I'm sure this is an attempt to apply political pressure on the president, McConnell is already saying the president has to lead. Maybe it makes political sense, but could backfire if the public's perception is that the GOP is being too stubborn and uncooperative. People want results not finger pointing.

This actually walking out on doing his doing, taxpayer pays him to do his job, I wonder what would happen if I walked out on doing my job?

Your Sig alone is tempting me to put you on the ignore list. It's so absurd its beyond laughable.

Your Sig alone is tempting me to put you on the ignore list. It's so absurd its beyond laughable.

No doubt.

Somehow it's (obviously) different, when Gay-Republicans are given special-treatment.

:eusa_eh:

Yes you can do it by attacking half the equation. When you cut spending the tax dollars that are saved from that cut can then be spent elsewhere. Lowering the debt expenditures in essence raises your disposable income.
I know the concept is complicated but as with learning to ride a bike if you keep trying one day you'll get it!

When you ignore revenue you have to cut twice as much spending. Given the limited amount of discretionary spending, it is not as easy as Republicans claim

Would you agree to a tax increase that was 100% dedicated to debt reduction?

The GOP is right that our debt is too high and deficit spending can no longer be tolerated.

You are right that the GOP track record (along with the DEMs which you didn't mention) shows that they behave counter to that claim.

Maybe the reps finally see the light and will practice what conservatives have been preaching at them to practice for several election cycles now.....or maybe they will continue to be progressive republicans and keep on keeping on with the defecit spending.

Both parties acknowledge the debt is too high and deficit spending must be controlled. It is not reasonable to expect the latter can be accomplished in onr or two years. To do so would spike unemployment and that would impact other interrelated parts of the economy.

I did acknowledge the Democrats complicity here ("Our problems are not a product of tax and spend Democrats exclusively").

If the non progressive Republicans (aka the Tea Party?) attempt to fix a decades old problem in the short term, they may create the conditions for a double dip, the consequences of which no one wants to contemplate.

I'm convinced Cantor is a me first pol, that doesn't make him much different than the rest, but the stakes are high and he is paid well and has wonderful benefits. It's time to put the country first, he ought to get his ass back to work and not whine in the press. The issues are too important for demagoguery.

He can stick to his principles but don't walk out.. He's not paid to pick up his football and leave the field in a temper tantrum. Im sick of the GOP establishment types thinking only about themselves and their contributors. CUTS everywhere and yes, a tax increase on all of us if it gets our house in order... NOTHING SHOULD BE off of the table at this point.,... We're in a sinking boat.. Walking away does NOTHING but get us closer to the edge of the cliff. STAY IN THERE FIGHT, fight hard for conservatives principles.. Quitting is for losers.

When you ignore revenue you have to cut twice as much spending. Given the limited amount of discretionary spending, it is not as easy as Republicans claim

Would you agree to a tax increase that was 100% dedicated to debt reduction?

I probably would depending on the scope of the tax. Ie one time tax and cuts would have to be huge and I'm not talking about cuts to one time expenditures.
But there is a box you can check on your tax return to do just that. How many times have you checked that box?

Forum List

Back