Cantor Acknowledges S&P’s Warnings On Taxes, But Urges Colleagues To Ignore Them

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
Standard & Poor’s decision to downgrade the United States’ credit rating Friday night came with clear shots at congressional Republicans who had refused to consider tax increases in the deal to raise the debt ceiling. S&P criticized Congress for allowing new revenues to drop from the “menu of policy options,” criticizing “the majority of Republicans in Congress [who] continue to resist any measure that would raise revenues.” The National Journal proclaimed it “hard to read the S&P analysis as anything other than a blast at Republicans.”

Unlike his party’s presidential candidates and several of his congressional colleagues, House Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-VA) seems to have heard that blast, as he sent a memo to congressional Republicans today acknowledging S&P’s calls for tax increases. Despite hearing those calls, however, Cantor is urging his colleagues to ignore them:

Over the next several months, there will be tremendous pressure on Congress to prove that S&P’s analysis of the inability of the political parties to bridge our differences is wrong. In short, there will be pressure to compromise on tax increases. We will be told that there is no other way forward. I respectfully disagree.

As we have said from the beginning of the year, the new Republican Majority was elected to change the way Washington does business. We were not elected to raise taxes or take more money out of the pockets of hard working families and business people. People understand Washington can’t keep spending money that it doesn’t have. They want to see less government – not more taxes.

MORE: Cantor Acknowledges S&P’s Warnings On Taxes, But Urges Colleagues To Ignore Them | ThinkProgress

How can Obama negotiate on behalf of the American people with idiots like Cantor?

wow, what utter bullshit.

As we have said from the beginning of the year, the new Republican Majority was elected to change the way Washington does business. We were not elected to raise taxes or take more money out of the pockets of hard working families and business people. People understand Washington can’t keep spending money that it doesn’t have. They want to see less government – not more taxes.

This my friends is what the OP considers a idiot.

It's the same ole bullshit from Democrats and Liberals, don't have enough money for their beloved Federal Guberment. Just put more of A BURDEN on the American people BY RAISING TAXES.

but they care for you, they really really do

Teabaggers_ThenandNow.jpg

wow, what utter bullshit.

This my friends is what the OP considers a idiot.

It's the same ole bullshit from Democrats and Liberals, don't have enough money for their beloved Federal Guberment. Just put more of A BURDEN on the American people BY RAISING TAXES.

but they care for you, they really really do

:cuckoo: Say what?!?! I have no idea what that was about but I'll tell you what I understood.

I prefer to earn more than I spend. It stands to reason that if I stop spending in certain quarters and increase my earnings by working double shifts (and occasionally a seasonal job or two), that I'll have more to invest in other areas that I'm interested in. I'd have more to make a down payment on a house or free-up enough money to pay outstanding loans.

Suffice it to say, I expected our government go along that same route. Cutting programs (or in this case, thousands of government jobs) may have been the prudent choice for a select few of our Republican congressmen, but with those massive cuts, I also expected increased revenues that could fund infrastructural projects (or in layman's terms, to create jobs).

What Eric Cantor suggested was absolutely RIDICULOUS. I agree with the notion that we should stop spending but if he and his colleagues were so concerned about the welfare of unemployed workers, then why are they so gung-ho to eliminate thousands of federally funded jobs people depended upon?

And when I see people commenting on what's going on in the white house, I'm getting a picture that a lot of people don't understand what the hell is at stake.

I mean, it's not about being a Republican or Democrat anymore. What it basically boils down to, is a bunch of radicals messing with YOUR MONEY; and when someone messes with my money (my tax dollars), I take issue with it.

So I'm sorry, I have no idea what your response was about...

Standard & Poor’s decision to downgrade the United States’ credit rating Friday night came with clear shots at congressional Republicans who had refused to consider tax increases in the deal to raise the debt ceiling. S&P criticized Congress for allowing new revenues to drop from the “menu of policy options,” criticizing “the majority of Republicans in Congress [who] continue to resist any measure that would raise revenues.” The National Journal proclaimed it “hard to read the S&P analysis as anything other than a blast at Republicans.”

Unlike his party’s presidential candidates and several of his congressional colleagues, House Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-VA) seems to have heard that blast, as he sent a memo to congressional Republicans today acknowledging S&P’s calls for tax increases. Despite hearing those calls, however, Cantor is urging his colleagues to ignore them:

Over the next several months, there will be tremendous pressure on Congress to prove that S&P’s analysis of the inability of the political parties to bridge our differences is wrong. In short, there will be pressure to compromise on tax increases. We will be told that there is no other way forward. I respectfully disagree.

MORE: Cantor Acknowledges S&P’s Warnings On Taxes, But Urges Colleagues To Ignore Them | ThinkProgress

How can Obama negotiate on behalf of the American people with idiots like Cantor?
And Cantor and the GOP want to make sure the government has no money to spend. It's been the CON$ervative tactic since St Ronnie. When the GOP are in power they run up the debt, and when the Dems are in power they demand spending cuts. This way only the GOP gets to spend the money on their pet projects.

July 6, 2010
RUSH: It is said of Reagan -- I think it's true to a certain extent -- Reagan decided to starve the welfare state by creating deficits and spending

Not only that, but

Cantor knocks Obama

Could he BE any more obvious??

Cantor spokesman Brian Patrick, in a blog post on the first-time standards the White House unveiled Tuesday, said that while President Obama’s intentions are “laudable,” such rules “further tie the hands of job creators and add yet another hurdle to getting the economy up and running.”

“The result of these regulations means increased costs for businesses and families, and fewer jobs for workers. Rather than placing additional burdens on working families and small businesses, Washington should be focused on removing barriers to growth and fostering an environment for job creation,” the post on Cantor’s blog states.

Uh-oh!! Mr. Cantor done fucked up!

Eric Cantor Defends Airlines Pocketing Taxes During FAA Shutdown: ‘That’s What Business Does’ | ThinkProgress

Oddly, Cantor seems to be unintentionally making the progressive argument about corporate taxes here. While conservatives generally argue that cutting business tax rates will lead to companies passing on savings to consumers and hiring more employees, progressives argue that corporations will just pocket much of these savings. The FAA shutdown offered an ideal test case for this question, and it seems that even Cantor agrees that pocketing tax savings is “what business does.”

Not to mention

As Cantor sees it, the existing Medicare program simply must be eliminated for fiscal reasons, replaced with a privatized system. In other words, the Paul Ryan plan that was soundly rejected by voters and policy experts alike is still the preferred model for the House Republican leadership.

As a matter of policy, this is still hopelessly ridiculous, for all the reasons we talked about in the Spring. But on a political level, this is just as misguided. The more Cantor and his allies base their agenda on ending Medicare, the happier Democrats are.

Also note the rhetoric the oft-confused House Majority Leader uses: the United States has made promises to the public, and as far as Eric Cantor is concerned, “many” Americans will simply have to accept that those promises “are not going to be kept.”

Why not? Because Republicans say so. Promises to Grover Norquist are sacrosanct, but promises to senior citizens are not.

Political Animal - Cantor intends to break America’s promises

Forum List

Back