Can't read English, but has a DL and a new car?

fuzzykitten99

VIP Member
Apr 23, 2004
You'll have to check the Marauder's Map...
Tim came home earlier after work. He told me that he was a little late because he stopped to get the car washed to get the salt off it. Since its tuesday, the DIY wash stalls around the area are 1/2 price. So he gets into one, and a lady pulled up behind him in a brand new SUV (dealer tags still on it).

Tim proceeds to put his quarters in and wash the car. Not even a minute into it, the lady, who Tim told me, was Oriental of some type, and in VERY broken English (or Engrish if you may), told him hers wasn't working right. So being the nice guy he is, he goes over there, and shows her what to do, even though there are instructions on the wall. She apparently thought the wash was a free one, and didn't know you had to put money in the machine.

He goes back to our car, and continues his work. Again, not even a minute into it, she comes up again and asks for his help. He told her to hold on while he finished scrubbing our car, because the soap brush thingy is on a timer and he didn't want to run out half way because he had limited quarters, and he was washing the Caddy.

He finishes scrubbing, and goes to see what the problem is. Turns out the machine seems to be malfunctioning because she had put like double what was needed and it was still not working. He basically told her there was nothing he personally could do, but she could see if someone was in the office. No one was there, but there were forms and a little black box for refunds. Tim tells her to fill one out, and that is about all she could do at this point.

This is where it gets sick. She told him that he has to fill it out for her because she doesn't know what it says. Info needed on the form included a DL number. She handed him her brand new MN drivers' license!

She can't read a simple form for a refund of about $3, yet she has a VALID DL??? How does she know what the road signs say???

Tim didn't say anything, and filled out the form for her to be nice, but he was kind of upset. He works in road construction, and is in the process of getting his Class A which requires him to study a manual,and take 2 different tests. Here she is, with a DL, and she can't even read simple English!

fuzzykitten99 said:
Then why are all the traffic control signs and equipment in English?
You can learn how to succesfully drive without being able to succesfully read.

Of course they are. The sad thing is she probably took a written test and the state probably provided one for her in her language rather than english. Its a shame.

The ClayTaurus said:
You can learn how to succesfully drive without being able to succesfully read.

how do you pass the written drivers test? read the eye chart? oh yea forgot they will give you the test in any language you like.....unfortunately the outside world is all in english

manu1959 said:
how do you pass the written drivers test? read the eye chart? oh yea forgot they will give you the test in any language you like.....unfortunately the outside world is all in english
I agree. But as long as you can safely operate your vehicle, I don't care whether you can speak English or not. She might have just moved here ane be learning the language, for all we know. Or, she might have lived here for years, refusing to assimilate.

The latter would be a shame.

The ClayTaurus said:
I agree. But as long as you can safely operate your vehicle, I don't care whether you can speak English or not. She might have just moved here ane be learning the language, for all we know. Or, she might have lived here for years, refusing to assimilate.

The latter would be a shame.

True enough. Perhaps a policy could be that a person could apply for a license to drive but in a certian time frame pass an english driving exam in order to maintain a license.

MtnBiker said:
True enough. Perhaps a policy could be that a person could apply for a license to drive but in a certian time frame pass an english driving exam in order to maintain a license.
That would be acceptable to me.

dmp said:
I held a USArmy Europe license w/o reading the language. :)

That's great, but I wonder had you stayed in Europe as a citizen would the country in which you lived issued you a written test in "their" language?

MtnBiker said:
That's great, but I wonder had you stayed in Europe as a citizen would the country in which you lived issued you a written test in "their" language?

the danish driver test is in danish....the danish citizenship is in danish.....no alternates....well at least 25 years ago there were no alternates......what language is the driver test in, in mecca?

Forum List

Back