Cant make this up.. Bush flips on Iran talks...

Jeepers

Feb 11, 2008
Charleston SC
PARIS — The decision by the Bush administration to send a senior American official to participate in international talks with Iran this weekend reflects a double policy shift in the struggle to resolve the impasse over the country’s nuclear program..

First, the Bush administration has decided to abandon its longstanding position that it will only meet face-to-face with Iran after it first suspends uranium enrichment as demanded by the United Nations Security Council.

Second, it infuses the negotiating track between Iran on the one side and the six global powers - France, Britain, Germany, Russia, China and the United States -- on the other with new importance, even though their official stance is that no substantive talks can begin until the uranium enrichment stops.

The presence of William J. Burns, the under secretary of state for political affairs, at the meeting led by Javier Solana, the European Union foreign policy chief, and Saeed Jalili, Iran’s nuclear negotiator, in Geneva on Saturday brings with it both symbolic and substantive significance....

Man.. this must have Mac Steamin.. Bush fucked him in 2000, now he screws him in 2008...

That is pretty funny.

I think it'd be a riot to see Bush and the pres of Iran trying to talk to each other without looking like idiots.

I'll bet the Seabees and Army Corp are in the hills of pakistan now running a telephone line to BinLadens cave as we speak....

Man.. this must have Mac Steamin.. Bush fucked him in 2000, now he screws him in 2008...

how can he do this!! this makes us look weak. i mean, reagan's administration never would have negotiated with iran

wait...

Typical Liberal response. Somebody gives you what you want and you smash them in the face for it. Good job!

I think one fair reading of the development is:

1) there is some sincerity in wishing to avoid armed conflict with Iran.

2) a recognition that the 6 party talks with North Korea yielded some beneficial results. Thus, a similar 6 party negotiation here could yield better results than the diplomacy that has taken place thus far.

3) if you will recall during the 6 party North Korean talks, the US refused to have two party talks with North Korea, I expect that will be the case with Iran.

4) nothing else has worked, at least if this fails, and if war eventually occurs, there would not be much left in the diplomatic bag unlike the insincere effort in the run-up to war with Iraq.

Typical Liberal response. Somebody gives you what you want and you smash them in the face for it. Good job!

You mean like what the right did with FISA or what they did when Obama said he'd rely on the generals on the ground to help him formulate Iraq policy?

I think one fair reading of the development is:

1) there is some sincerity in wishing to avoid armed conflict with Iran.

2) a recognition that the 6 party talks with North Korea yielded some beneficial results. Thus, a similar 6 party negotiation here could yield better results than the diplomacy that has taken place thus far.

3) if you will recall during the 6 party North Korean talks, the US refused to have two party talks with North Korea, I expect that will be the case with Iran.

4) nothing else has worked, at least if this fails, and if war eventually occurs, there would not be much left in the diplomatic bag unlike the insincere effort in the run-up to war with Iraq.

Given the past 7 plus years, I'd discount anything from this white house as being "sincere".

The only recognition is that they need to follow Obama's lead on these issues because this admin has made the repubs look stupid.

On the other hand, they've really hurt McCain. I wonder why they'd do that?

Could it be that Baby Bush is trying to salvage something to keep him from being called the worst president ever?

Bush has changed his postion on global warming, negotiating with North Korea, and now negotiating with Iran. Maybe he has learned something.

My favorite Bush moment was when they asked him what he had learned from his first term in office and he said, "Words have consequences."

Duh!

I see you have the Democrat talking points down pat. So you want to play talking point word games? ok then Obama is running for Caters second term.

What was that you were saying about "talking points"? That whole Carter silliness is that. But I guess it's an interesting rebuttal. Irrelevant, though it may be.

Tell me, what policies does Obama support that Carter did and Clinton didn't?

Besides prioritizing energy independence, which, I think we can all agree, was the one thing Carter was right about.

You were the one who asked why it mattered that Bush hung McCain out to dry, not me. ;)

What was that you were saying about "talking points"? That whole Carter silliness is that. But I guess it's an interesting rebuttal. Irrelevant, though it may be.

Tell me, what policies does Obama support that Carter did and Clinton didn't?

Besides prioritizing energy independence, which, I think we can all agree, was the one thing Carter was right about.

You were the one who asked why it mattered that Bush hung McCain out to dry, not me. ;)

I was just trying to make a point, Just because Democrats say McCain is running to be Bush 3 does not in anyway make it true. I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this one. However keep in mind I am not Voting for McCain or Obama :)

I was just trying to make a point, Just because Democrats say McCain is running to be Bush 3 does not in anyway make it true. I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this one. However keep in mind I am not Voting for McCain or Obama :)

Except that he is....

1. Iraq... check
2. oil policy... check
3. economic policy... check
4. g-d, guns and gays domestic policy... check

Sounds like a third Bush term to me. Hence it being noteworthy that Bush left him out in the muck and mire.

And just so you understand, in 2000, I'd have voted for McCain...I might have this time, too, except that now he's stood every position he had in 2000n its ear.

But no worries... we can always agree to disagree on this issue.

Except that he is....

1. Iraq... check
2. oil policy... check
3. economic policy... check
4. g-d, guns and gays domestic policy... check

Sounds like a third Bush term to me. Hence it being noteworthy that Bush left him out in the muck and mire.

And just so you understand, in 2000, I'd have voted for McCain...I might have this time, too, except that now he's stood every position he had in 2000n its ear.

But no worries... we can always agree to disagree on this issue.

And as I pointed out Obama has made dramatic changes to many of his own beliefs. I listed the biggest ones in 2 other threads.

Like I said, I don't like McCain either, but I do not think he is like Bush. Bush is a Moron. The only real difference between me and you is I am not going to vote for Obama either I see them both for what they are. politicians who will do and say what ever they think we want them to, to get elected.

Personally I have had it with this cycle of Power sharing between the Democrats and Republican and want real change. Change neither candidate will give us.

And as I pointed out Obama has made dramatic changes to many of his own beliefs. I listed the biggest ones in 2 other threads.

Like I said, I don't like McCain either, but I do not think he is like Bush. Bush is a Moron. The only real difference between me and you is I am not going to vote for Obama either I see them both for what they are. politicians who will do and say what ever they think we want them to, to get elected.

Personally I have had it with this cycle of Power sharing between the Democrats and Republican and want real change. Change neither candidate will give us.

AMEN Brother!

Anyone is smarter than Bush. McCain is, certainly. I am, however, getting concerned about his lack of knowledge about the differences among Sunni and Shi'a; and economic policy... particularly when the banking industry is in a world of hurt right now... what? about 1.2 trillion dollars worth of defaulted mortgages?

There aren't viable alternatives right now. Personally, I think we're in need of a tune up and would do better with a more representative, parliamentary type of set up.

Anyone is smarter than Bush. McCain is, certainly. I am, however, getting concerned about his lack of knowledge about the differences among Sunni and Shi'a; and economic policy... particularly when the banking industry is in a world of hurt right now... what? about 1.2 trillion dollars worth of defaulted mortgages?

There aren't viable alternatives right now. Personally, I think we're in need of a tune up and would do better with a more representative, parliamentary type of set up.

I agree there are not any viable alternatives right now, however there will never be any unless Americans wise up and start voting for other parties. Votes are the only way they can become viable.

I agree there are not any viable alternatives right now, however there will never be any unless Americans wise up and start voting for other parties. Votes are the only way they can become viable.

But I think it's throwing away your vote to vote for someone who has no shot.

Not that I'd mind a massive repub exodus to Bob Barr. :D

Forum List

Back