Can't Make This Stuff Up

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I don't know whether this belongs in media, or humor, or history.....

...but I swear that this is the truth:

I was listening to Bloomberg radio, 1130 here in NYC...reporting the stock market data.

The announcer breaks in and says the following:

"This stock market report brought to you by Hammer and Sickle, imported vodka."

I checked...it's for real:

HAMMER+SICKLE VODKA - YouTube!

The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.
Horace Walpole

Smert Komitet Gossudarstvennoy Bezopasnosti

As a marketing guy that's rather interesting from a product name and logo point of view. As always with both you want something that grabs the public's attention, but these have rather negative connotations in the U.S. that I gotta wonder how the public will react to them. That said though, I'm a big lover of fine vodka, a spirit with a definite Russian heritage, so name and logo aside I'll sample it and if it's good I'll likely buy more.

As a marketing guy that's rather interesting from a product name and logo point of view. As always with both you want something that grabs the public's attention, but these have rather negative connotations in the U.S. that I gotta wonder how the public will react to them. That said though, I'm a big lover of fine vodka, a spirit with a definite Russian heritage, so name and logo aside I'll sample it and if it's good I'll likely buy more.

My first reaction was the kind one has when a comedian hits you with a paraprosdokian punch line your didn't expect,...

'Stock market' didn't seem to go with 'Hammer and Sickle'....

The only way it could have been even better would have been Hammer and Sickle advertising during the Democrat Convention.....
...in that case because it belonged.

But, my sense is that Hammer and Sickle is not a happy image to most American consumers.
Here in NYC, I've seen several Russian vodka's using beautiful women in ads....Better.

Why that would be like having the Koch Bros sponsor Nova on Public Television... (Grins)

Koch Industries was a main sponsor of the PBS network broadcast of Daniel Yergin's "The Prize".

Dirty right-winger trailer trash.. Betcha they stock Hammer Sickle Vodka..

Hey Mr. H. --- it's a slow night and P-Chic won't mind.. I've been trying to figure out what that is in your avatar.. Best guess -- A brine shrimp with an old timey football helmet swimming in a martini.. :D

Forum List

Back