Can't Have The Homeless Get Tubby!

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Seems to be what NY thinks is 'helpful'. Anyone agree?

http://www.metro.us/us/article/2009/11/24/08/2928-82/index.xml

Hungry, sure, but food is healthier

METRO/AZ

When a small church comes to the Bowery Mission bearing fried chicken with trans fat, unwittingly breaking the law, they’re told “thank you.” Then workers quietly chuck the food, mission director Tom Bastile said.

“It’s always hard for us to do,” Basile said. “We know we have to do it.”

A Manhattan deli going out of business delivered a pickup truck’s worth of lettuce, sundried tomatoes, hamburgers, sausages and other food to the Holy Apostles Soup Kitchen last week.

With 1,400 meals to serve daily, Operations Manager Michael Ottley was extremely grateful. He didn’t check the trans fat content of the food. But they could lose their license.

Lines at soup kitchens are up by 21 percent this year, according to a NYC Coalition Against Hunger report released yesterday. The city’s law banishing trans fat took effect in July 2008 and touched everyone with Health Department food licenses — including emergency food providers.

Less than 5 percent of donated food still has the artificial fat, Ottley estimated, but he said, “I can’t in good conscience throw away food.”

At site you can see that there are lots of 'kitchens' that cannot feed the hungry, by law they should throw away foods with 'transfats?' Hey I avoid them, I'm assuming most do. On the other hand, 'transfat friend chicken or no food?' I'd take that chicken.

Last edited:
w(ho)tf passes these laws? this is idiotic. no food or a little food that only harms you in quantity?

I have the solution, tell the homeless you will be throwing away this food at a certain time in a very clean bin-table and then look the other way.

If the homeless pick through the trash-table so be it.

Last edited:
I wonder how many trans fats there are in a can of dog food.

Food pantries have also gotten in trouble for keeping non-perishables beyond their expiration date. And unfortunately, grocery stores would rather throw out decent food than donate it because someone might get sick and sue. It's time for these charitable organizations to be exempt from lawsuits. How about if they have a sign "ALL FOOD IS IN "AS IS" CONDITION - EAT AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!

This is what over-regulation is all about. And people are willing to let the nanny state intrude even further. Defies common sense.

I have the solution, tell the homeless you will be throwing away this food at a certain time in a very clean bin-table and then look the other way.

If the homeless pick through the trash-table so be it.

That's probably what they did. I volunteer at a veterans shelter, and two supermarkets in town will call the on-site manager to let him know when he can drive the truck over to pick up yesterday's fresh produce and baked goods. During the holidays, like now, they even notify shelters and missions of their overstocked frozen turkeys which they don't have room to warehouse.

transfat_ban.jpg

So you guys are suggesting you should be able to tell the state of NY what laws they can create in tehir own state?

Do you hate state rights as well as the federal government?

So you guys are suggesting you should be able to tell the state of NY what laws they can create in tehir own state?

Do you hate state rights as well as the federal government?
Pay attention.

It isn't the State, its the City of NY, run by Mayor Mike as a nanny town.

It's so much better they starve.

Idiots.
I'm reminded of the saying that the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Hell, (unless they've changed it recently) WVA allows roadkill to be donated (i.e. a fresh killed deer).

Mayor Mike Bloomberg is a true believer in the nanny state, it doesn't matter to him if people suffer as 'he knows best.'

A good example was his banning smoking from Bars in NYC, something that cut 30% from the bar business and killed the tips of a lot of barkeeps. The laugh is, drinking isn't good for you either, but you can kill your liver but your lungs will be fine.

That is the logic of Mike Bloomberg.

I had to chuckle when I heard this the other day. The idiots only get more idiotic.

This is the ultimate in liberal brain waste!

Further, in regard to food in general, instead of trying to dictate what we eat and drive costs up with more worthless labeling, why not just ask the schools to educate the young better on real life issues. When I look back at my educating years and all of the courses I had to take, then realize how much of that actually applied to daily living and being successful, the waste is incredible.

Anyway, back to food. You know, it is not so much what we eat, but, it is more moderation and variety. Basic common sense! It doesn't matter if we eat each meal out in a restaurant of some type each day or if we home cook each meal. Moderation and variety will keep a person healthy. Go back to the older areas of Europe and spend some time eating meals with them. They eat what they want, when they want it, only they apply moderation and variety. And yes, they do have trans fats and all of the other good stuff.

Mike

I'm reminded of the saying that the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Hell, (unless they've changed it recently) WVA allows roadkill to be donated (i.e. a fresh killed deer).

Mayor Mike Bloomberg is a true believer in the nanny state, it doesn't matter to him if people suffer as 'he knows best.'

A good example was his banning smoking from Bars in NYC, something that cut 30% from the bar business and killed the tips of a lot of barkeeps. The laugh is, drinking isn't good for you either, but you can kill your liver but your lungs will be fine.

Well, I can understand the smoking thing as it can affect others' health. Even when I smoked, I couldn't stand to smell it or to be around it (I was a terrible smoker lol).

But tossing food out when people are going hungry is ignorant beyond description.

Well, I can understand the smoking thing as it can affect others' health. Even when I smoked, I couldn't stand to smell it or to be around it (I was a terrible smoker lol).

But tossing food out when people are going hungry is ignorant beyond description.
Mike spent a fortune to get a third term (after he had them change the rules as NY had term limits before) and he BARELY beat a guy nobody knew who ran no adds! :lol:

Unfortunetly for the city, mayor Mike will march on another 6 years.

Oldie but goodie:

‘Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was, since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape. He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as:

Knowing when to come in out of the rain; why the early bird gets the worm; Life isn’t always fair; and maybe it was my fault.

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don’t spend more than you can earn) and reliable strategies (adults, not children, are in charge).

His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well-intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place. Reports of a 6-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.

Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job that they themselves had failed to do in disciplining their unruly children.

It declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer sun lotion or an Elastoplast to a student; but could not inform parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

Common Sense lost the will to live as the Ten Commandments became contraband; churches became businesses; and criminals received better treatment than their victims. Common Sense took a beating when you couldn’t defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar could sue you for assault.

Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.

Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents, Truth and Trust; his wife, Discretion; his daughter, Responsibility; and his son, Reason. He is survived by his 4 stepbrothers; I Know My Rights, I Want It Now, Someone Else Is To Blame, and I’m A Victim. Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone. If you still remember him, pass this on. If not, join the majority and do nothing.’

London Times Obituary of the late Mr. Common Sense

Forum List

Back