Can't find a job? Maybe you aren't really trying...

fuzzykitten99

VIP Member
Apr 23, 2004
You'll have to check the Marauder's Map...
I really don't believe that finding a job is THAT hard. I didn't even try that hard and I just accepted a new position with another company. I applied to 2 companies, and interviewed for both, and I got offered the position yesterday.

If the job market is that bad, how come I had no problem without really trying? I have no post-high school education and yet I landed a job making a little more than I do now. My new job is a claims processor for a national insurance company.

I think that the ones that complain about the job market are the ones that spent major $$ on college, but didn't learn any actual skills outside their chosen profession, so if they can't find a job in their chosen field, they are SOL. I want to be a teacher, and I will hopefully be persuing that dream next fall (2005) but I know that I will have skills to find other work if teaching positions are scarce or if I am one and my position is cut. It's funny how college costs so much, but really holds little value in real life work.

I think that is quite a narrow-minded viewpoint.

But hey, that's just my opinion.

No, I am NOT insulting you. DO NOT misinterpret my opinion as an insult. I did not say that your opinion was an insult to me.
I simply stated my own.

Regarding my reasons, actually I was just typing them out but deleted them. Why? Mainly b/c I can see that this is just the beginning to another flame fest on here. And after careful consideration, I just dont want to be a part of it.

Disreguard my previous post.

I have no opinion.

Originally posted by KLSuddeth
No, I am NOT insulting you. DO NOT misinterpret my opinion as an insult. I did not say that your opinion was an insult to me.
I simply stated my own.

Regarding my reasons, actually I was just typing them out but deleted them. Why? Mainly b/c I can see that this is just the beginning to another flame fest on here. And after careful consideration, I just dont want to be a part of it.

Disreguard my previous post.

I have no opinion.

you say that it is "a narrow-minded viewpoint" ...this is an insult if i have ever heard one.

Originally posted by fuzzykitten99
you say that it is "a narrow-minded viewpoint" ...this is an insult if i have ever heard one.

then I'd have to say that you've never really been insulted. Lots of people have narrow-minded view points simply because they haven't seen as much of something as they need to in order to have a 'not so narrow-minded' viewpoint.

OK OK OK!

FORGIVE ME PLEASE FOR EXPRESSING MY OPINION.

Sheesh, I was better off in my previous decision to quit posting for a while.

For what its worth, my husband (no matter what anyone else thinks of him) has no after HS education as well and is damned good at his job - he didnt learn his trade from school but from OTJ training and self study and self teaching.

AGAIN, PLEASE UNDERSTAND THAT I WAS NOT INSULTING YOU!

I will not be responding to anymore on this thread, as its obvious that a friendly conversation of different ideas is not possible anywhere anymore.

For whatever its worth, good luck with pursuing your dream - its a very good one! (I would pass you an olive branch, but I dont feel like getting hit over the head wiht it-ducking)

Here's the problem...you all keep saying it's narrow-minded, without any real explaination of WHY you think that it is. You just state the opinion without backup. and really, you make yourself sound arrogant when you say my viewpoint is narrow-minded when you have no backup for your thoughts. Oh, it must be that I don't have the college education so I must be narrow minded. Is that what you think?

Originally posted by fuzzykitten99
Here's the problem...you all keep saying it's narrow-minded, without any real explaination of WHY you think that it is. You just state the opinion without backup. and really, you make yourself sound arrogant when you say my viewpoint is narrow-minded when you have no backup for your thoughts. Oh, it must be that I don't have the college education so I must be narrow minded. Is that what you think?

I agree. Acually, KL, you were being narrow-minded by offering an opinion that her opinion was narrow minded but then not stating why. She clearly stated by she believes what she does, yet you didn't and you said that her POV is narrow-minded.

I think that is why she fealt you were being insulting.

As for education, I don't believe education fulfills ALL the requirements of a job. I too barely have an education (got my GED in the Army and then college afterwards) and hard work is most of what got me where I am today (in a pretty nice life I might ad).

Hey well done on the job acceptance Fuzzykitten, that's great.

I would agree with you view, I have approached my employment by making myself as marketable as possible. I'm going on 6 years with my current employer, at the time of interviewing they were only going to hire one person, but since we both interviewed so well they hired both of us. 6 years later I'm going strong with the company and my coworker left the company only 9 months into the job.

Originally posted by freeandfun1

As for education, I don't believe education fulfills ALL the requirements of a job. I too barely have an education (got my GED in the Army and then college afterwards) and hard work is most of what got me where I am today (in a pretty nice life I might ad).

Yup there is truth to that. I do not have a 4 year degree either, although my employeer prefers to hire people with 4 year degrees, for a position equal to mine.

Originally posted by MtnBiker
Yup there is truth to that. I do not have a 4 year degree either, although my employeer prefers to hire people with 4 year degrees, for a position equal to mine.

I agree that education is important as during the interview process, I first skim through the resumes by throwing out those without a college education.

I know that goes against my beliefs, but when you get 100's of resumes you have to find a way to weed them out and often this is the easiest way.

I think finding a job depends on a lot of things. Many people will not take jobs they feel are beneth them, and some will take any job until something better comes along. Guess who probably finds a job faster? Sometimes your overall state of mind doesn't help, it can get pretty depressing when you get rejected a lot.

I think a lot of things come into play when it comes to finding a job. What field you are going into, what city are you looking in, how much experience, etc...

I have been fortunate to always land a job fairly quickly up until recently. When I move to San Diego, I know I will have a hell of time finding a job in what I do.

My friend who just graduated from Tufts University last year with an engineering degree couldn't find a job up until about 3 1/2 months ago. She applied to over 75 places in San Diego and only 3 places called her back. All of them stating that she didn't have enough experience. She finally got lucky after applying again to numerous places.

So, some people try and find nothing, other people don't try and get lucky and vice-versa.

Originally posted by brneyedgrl80
I think a lot of things come into play when it comes to finding a job. What field you are going into, what city are you looking in, how much experience, etc...

I have been fortunate to always land a job fairly quickly up until recently. When I move to San Diego, I know I will have a hell of time finding a job in what I do.

My friend who just graduated from Tufts University last year with an engineering degree couldn't find a job up until about 3 1/2 months ago. She applied to over 75 places in San Diego and only 3 places called her back. All of them stating that she didn't have enough experience. She finally got lucky after applying again to numerous places.

So, some people try and find nothing, other people don't try and get lucky and vice-versa.

I think it depends largely on your standards. If you can't find something in your field, there are many things you can do until something comes up, many find this unacceptable. I forget the stats for unsolicited resumes, but I think it's something like 1 call for every 50 sent out....sounds right by my experience anyway.

Originally posted by Said1
I think it depends largely on your standards. If you can't find something in your field, there are many things you can do until something comes up, many find this unacceptable. I forget the stats for unsolicited resumes, but I think it's something like 1 call for every 50 sent out....sounds right by my experience anyway.

I agree. Too many college graduates only want to get jobs in "big" name corporations that they pass up on even applying to some of the best employers in the world - small businesses.

Engineers generally will get a LOT more experience working for a small business than with a big corporation as they will be allowed to do more. The small businesses don't pay as well, they don't have the benefits and if you live in SD, you can't say "I work for Qualcomm" but they still offer a lot. Believe it or not, right now it is hard for small businesses to find GOOD workers.

I remeber reading an article about a month go stating that across Maricopa County teens couldn't even get hired at fast food places. Because there just wasn't enough jobs or the jobs that were there (outside of fast food) wouldn't hire the teens because of lack of experience.

Now I know personally that fast food work sucks and is pretty much the bottom of the working totem poll. Do you think these teens that couldn't find jobs even at a fast food level had too high of standards? I know, as a teenager I would've loved to work at a movie theater or restaurant instead of a fast food joint, but that's what I had to do, fast food and I think most of these teens realize that. Sometimes, the jobs just aren't there or you don't have the experience that jobs are looking for. Like I said, a number of things take a role into why it's so hard to find a job, part of it for some people probably is the standards they have set for themselves, but I think there are plenty of other reasons.

Originally posted by freeandfun1
I agree. Too many college graduates only want to get jobs in "big" name corporations that they pass up on even applying to some of the best employers in the world - small businesses.

Engineers generally will get a LOT more experience working for a small business than with a big corporation as they will be allowed to do more. The small businesses don't pay as well, they don't have the benefits and if you live in SD, you can't say "I work for Qualcomm" but they still offer a lot. Believe it or not, right now it is hard for small businesses to find GOOD workers.

I forgot the name of the company she works for, but it isn't a huge company. They primarily focus on residential plans.

I understand that there are some college kids out there that are holding out for the big name people, but if you apply to 75 places in San Diego not all of them are big name companies. For the time being, she did work at a place in Mission Beach making a little over minimum wage.

To me, that's a little ridiculous being 22 years old, graduating from a really nice college and having to live at home because you make just a little over minimum wage. I understand that sometimes you have to do what you have to do, but I don't think they were kidding when they said that college grads were going to have it rough when they got out of college.

I know it's going to really suck for me as well because I am going into the education field and in San Diego, education jobs are limited, especially after all the layoffs they just did. Again, tons of things play a factor.

I remember reading an article about a month go stating that across Maricopa County teens couldn't even get hired at fast food places. Because there just wasn't enough jobs or the jobs that were there (outside of fast food) wouldn't hire the teens because of lack of experience.

Now I know personally that fast food work sucks and is pretty much the bottom of the working totem poll. Do you think these teens that couldn't find jobs even at a fast food level had too high of standards? I know, as a teenager I would've loved to work at a movie theater or restaurant instead of a fast food joint, but that's what I had to do, fast food and I think most of these teens realize that. Sometimes, the jobs just aren't there or you don't have the experience that jobs are looking for. Like I said, a number of things take a role into why it's so hard to find a job, part of it for some people probably is the standards they have set for themselves, but I think there are plenty of other reasons.

Jobs depend on where you live and the policies of the local government.

Here in Vegas you can't pass a fast food store or any other kind of store without seeing a "Help Wanted" sign in the window (and these people really do need help!). Even Martha's Vineyards had to bring in temporary workers from Mexico and Central America because they couldn't hire enough locals to fill the jobs needed.

Did you ever think that maybe the fast food stores won't hire the teens cuz the seniors work harder, are more reliable and talk back less??

Now I know personally that fast food work sucks and is pretty much the bottom of the working totem poll. Do you think these teens that couldn't find jobs even at a fast food level had too high of standards?

I think you know what I meant.

Forum List

Back