Can't Be 'For the Troops' and Against the War

Bullypulpit said:
So, you don't believe Paul Wolfowitz? Deputy Secretary of Defense for George W. Bush? Are you implying that a member of the Bush administration is engaging in prevarication? Forshame! Your conservative credentials are slipping if you don't unquestioningly believe everything that comes from the Administration! :)

That's the difference between us Bully--we think for ourselves!

Ok Bully, took a further look at your Vanity Fair, which is mirrored at DOD, think we'll put your excerpt into it's larger context, not quite the idiot or dissembler you wish to project. This was also a 'personal piece,' which is the norm at Vanity Fair, rather than an analytical piece by other media:

Q: This is all very helpful.

This is sort of the two very small, well, they're big questions but I don't expect you to give me extended answers to the questions of the day. One is there is some question as to whether the Pentagon underestimated Iran's readiness to intervene in Iraq and whether that upset the plans at all, the post-war plans.

Wolfowitz: That's nonsense.

Q: Okay. That had been reported.

Wolfowitz: There's so much that's reported that -- No. In fact it's, I don't want to comment [inaudible] government. We've understood very clearly that Iraq, especially the Shia population of Iraq, is both a source of danger and opportunity to the Iranians. I think it's more danger than it is opportunity. But the danger itself is incentive for them to try to intervene because the last thing they want to see, which I think is a real possibility, is an independent source of authority for the Shia religion emerging in a country that is democratic and pro-Western.

Q: That's a --

Wolfowitz: There's going to be a huge struggle for the soul of Iraqi Shiism, there's no question about it.

Q: What about the notion that the military campaign went so quickly and so brilliantly that you did not have everything else as much as you might have in place for this later era, later period [inaudible]?

Wolfowitz: It certainly has gone quickly. People that remember when you want to take your story, I mean we're, 50 days after the war began people started -- Having been wrong about the first quagmire saying we were in a quagmire in terms of the restoration of the civil services in Iraq or dealing with any number of other obvious problems. To me what's remarkable is how much was accomplished in 50 days.

Things are not going to happen overnight. The notion -- I mean policy, like life, is fundamentally about choices and the notion that we should have chosen to delay until we had a huge force and go more slowly and deal with all the problems that would have come from going slowly so that we would have had enough people, for example, to guard the museum in Baghdad is frankly absurd. And it may well turn out, in fact, that the museum in Baghdad was looted before the war even began, in which case no amount of guarding would have done any good.

There are choices that had to be made and I don't think there's any question that the fundamental speed of the operation, the remarkable speed of the operation, played a role in preventing a number of the worst things that we feared from happening. We'll never know exactly why the oilfields were not destroyed. We did not have an environmental disaster resulting from huge hydrogen sulfide fires in the north. We did not have attacks on Israel. We did not have a fortress Baghdad. We did not have a civil war in northern Iraq or a Turkish intervention in northern Iraq. We didn't have an Iranian intervention to speak of in southern Iraq. We didn't have any Arab governments collapse. Should I keep going?

Q: These were all possibilities you weighed, right?

Wolfowitz: Absolutely. And most of these were things that people warned were absolutely certain to happen if we went to war. I think a few of them I thought were exaggerated. The one that has always worried me the most was the use of weapons of mass destruction. We still don't know why they weren't used. That's something maybe we'll know more about one of these days, I don't know.

But there seems to be very little doubt that everything came at the Iraqi regime much faster than they expected it. That the war began sooner, that the ground troops moved in faster, that they moved up north faster, that they moved into Baghdad faster, and a lot of things happened before for that matter some of the meddling neighbors could interfere, either.

One of our senior generals in a discussion of a related but different subject made the observation that speed kills, as in it kills the enemy, and that getting to an objective quickly is often the thing that's most effective militarily. There's always usually a tradeoff between speed and mass.

Q: And then the last question, you've been very patient and generous. That is what's next? Where do we stand now in the campaign that you talked about right after September 11th?

Wolfowitz: I think the two most important things next are the two most obvious. One is getting post-Saddam Iraq right. Getting it right may take years, but setting the conditions for getting it right in the next six months. The next six months are going to be very important.

The other thing is trying to get some progress on the Israeli-Palestinian issue. I do think we have a better atmosphere for working on it now than we did before in all kinds of ways. Whether that's enough to make a difference is not certain, but I will be happy to go back and dig up the things I said a long time ago which is, while it undoubtedly was true that if we could make progress on the Israeli-Palestinian issue we would provide a better set of circumstances to deal with Saddam Hussein, but that it was equally true the other way around that if we could deal with Saddam Hussein it would provide a better set of circumstances for dealing with the Arab-Israeli issue. That you had to move on both of them as best you could when you could, but --

There are a lot of things that are different now, and one that has gone by almost unnoticed--but it's huge--is that by complete mutual agreement between the U.S. and the Saudi government we can now remove almost all of our forces from Saudi Arabia. Their presence there over the last 12 years has been a source of enormous difficulty for a friendly government. It's been a huge recruiting device for al Qaeda. In fact if you look at bin Laden, one of his principle grievances was the presence of so-called crusader forces on the holy land, Mecca and Medina. I think just lifting that burden from the Saudis is itself going to open the door to other positive things.

I don't want to speak in messianic terms. It's not going to change things overnight, but it's a huge improvement.

Q: Was that one of the arguments that was raised early on by you and others that Iraq actually does connect, not to connect the dots too much, but the relationship between Saudi Arabia, our troops being there, and bin Laden's rage about that, which he's built on so many years, also connects the World Trade Center attacks, that there's a logic of motive or something like that? Or does that read too much into --

Wolfowitz: No, I think it happens to be correct. The truth is that for reasons that have a lot to do with the U.S. government bureaucracy we settled on the one issue that everyone could agree on which was weapons of mass destruction as the core reason, but -- Hold on one second.

(Pause)

Kellems: Sam there may be some value in clarity on the point that it may take years to get post-Saddam Iraq right. It can be easily misconstrued, especially when it comes to --

Wolfowitz: There have always been three fundamental concerns. One is weapons of mass destruction, the second is support for terrorism, the third is the criminal treatment of the Iraqi people. Actually I guess you could say there's a fourth overriding one which is the connection between the first two. Sorry, hold on again.

Kellems: By the way, it's probably the longest uninterrupted phone conversation I've witnessed, so --

Q: This is extraordinary.

Kellems: You had good timing.

Q: I'm really grateful.

Wolfowitz: To wrap it up.

The third one by itself, as I think I said earlier, is a reason to help the Iraqis but it's not a reason to put American kids' lives at risk, certainly not on the scale we did it. That second issue about links to terrorism is the one about which there's the most disagreement within the bureaucracy, even though I think everyone agrees that we killed 100 or so of an al Qaeda group in northern Iraq in this recent go-around, that we've arrested that al Qaeda guy in Baghdad who was connected to this guy Zarqawi whom Powell spoke about in his UN presentation.

Q: So this notion then that the strategic question was really a part of the equation, that you were looking at Saudi Arabia --

Wolfowitz: I was. It's one of the reasons why I took a very different view of what the argument that removing Saddam Hussein would destabilize the Middle East. I said on the record, I don't understand how people can really believe that removing this huge source of instability is going to be a cause of instability in the Middle East.

I understand what they're thinking about. I'm not blind to the uncertainties of this situation, but they just seem to be blind to the instability that that son of a bitch was causing. It's as though the fact that he was paying $25,000 per terrorist family and issuing regular threats to most friendly governments in the region and the long list of things was of no account and the only thing to think about was that there might be some inter-communal violence if he were removed.

The implication of a lot of the argumentation against acting -- the implication was that the only way to have the stability that we need in Iraq is to have a tyrant like Saddam keeping everybody in check -- I know no one ever said it that way and if you pointed it out that way they'd say that's not what I mean. But I believe that really is where the logic was leading.

Q: Which also makes you wonder about how much faith there is in spreading democracy and all the rest among some of those who --

Wolfowitz: Probably not very much. There is no question that there's a lot of instability that comes with democracy and it's the nature of the beast that it's turbulent and uncertain.

The thing is, at a general level, I've encountered this argument from the defenders of Asian autocracies of various kinds. Look how much better off Singapore is than Indonesia, to pick a glaring contrast. And Indonesia's really struggling with democracy. It sort of inherited democracy under the worst possible conditions too, one might say. But the thing that -- I'd actually say that a large part of Indonesia's problems come from the fact that dictatorships are unstable in the one worst way which is with respect to choosing the next regime. Democracy, one could say, has solved, not solve perfectly, but they represent one of the best solutions to one of the most fundamental instabilities in politics and that's how to replace one regime with another. It's the only orderly way in the world for doing it other than hereditary monarchy which doesn't seem to have much of a future.

Q: Thanks so much.

Wolfowitz: You're very welcome.

[Web Version: http://dod.mil/transcripts/2003/tr20030509-depsecdef0223.html]

Sir Evil said:
Ya know Bully, you are most definitely my favorite troll by far! I love the way that you have me all figured out too. :D

I never claimed to believe everything the administrations says, if you by any chance believe everything a politician says then I can understand your total loyalty to the leftist party. My point is moreso the fact that you chose to quote someone from the administration that you hate so much, so why is he any better than the rest?

Just goin' to the source.

Kathianne said:
Ok Bully, took a further look at your Vanity Fair, which is mirrored at DOD, think we'll put your excerpt into it's larger context, not quite the idiot or dissembler you wish to project. This was also a 'personal piece,' which is the norm at Vanity Fair, rather than an analytical piece by other media:

Never said he was and idiot or dissembler. He was the driving force behind American policy towards Iraq and the Middle East. And like it or not, personal piece or not, as Deputy Secretary of Defense, he is a spokesman for the administration and its policies, regardless of the venue.

Bullypulpit said:
Never said he was and idiot or dissembler. He was the driving force behind American policy towards Iraq and the Middle East. And like it or not, personal piece or not, as Deputy Secretary of Defense, he is a spokesman for the administration and its policies, regardless of the venue.

Ok, point granted. However he is one voice, which has an automatic veto, Bush gets to act as France and that is NOT what HE SAID! :cool:

Sir Evil said:
are you starting to be a flip flopper Bully?

At least he admits it:

bullyflip.jpg

:)

Sir Evil said:
But that's my point, you have always claimed that your source here are nothing but a bunch of liars! are you starting to be a flip flopper Bully?

So what's your point? They misled America into a war of choice, not of need.

Bullypulpit said:
So what's your point? They misled America into a war of choice, not of need.

Bully, by definition, that is what a 'preemptive' war is-war of choice.

Kathianne said:
Bully, by definition, that is what a 'preemptive' war is-war of choice.

<blockquote><i>"We know that dictators are quick to choose aggression, while free nations strive to resolve differences in peace."</i></blockquote> - George W. Bush, 9/21/04, UN Speech

So, is Bush a dictator? Is the US a free nation? When given the opportunity to choose the path of peace, Dubbyuh chose war instead.

Sir Evil said:
You are missing my point again! you say how very bad this administartion this is, they are all liars who mislead the world into war but now you are using one of them as your source! That's the reason I made the statement, you choose the source when convenient to your arguments.

I am not missing your point old son. I am using their own words against them. 'Tis you who've missed the boat. :D

Bullypulpit said:
<blockquote><i>"We know that dictators are quick to choose aggression, while free nations strive to resolve differences in peace."</i></blockquote> - George W. Bush, 9/21/04, UN Speech

So, is Bush a dictator? Is the US a free nation? When given the opportunity to choose the path of peace, Dubbyuh chose war instead.

Being disengenous again. You KNOW how long these issues were under resolutions. You KNOW how many resolutions. You KNOW that every attempt was made to build UN support, other than caving into France-there was no option. And thanks to Claudia Rosett, we all KNOW why France and Kofi conspired to thwart the last resolution: Oil for Food.

Clearly, since we have found exactly 0 weapons of mass destruction, and there is exactly 0 proof that Saddam had anything to do with 9/11 (Al Qaeda considers him an infidel), and thus far 0 plan for trying to restore order in Iraq from this admistration, I'd say Dubya is batting .000 right now.

Bringing this back to the topic at hand....it is ridiculous to say that you can't support the troops and oppose the actions of the government at the same time. I support our men and women in uniform all over the world, but I believe that they and we were misled by the Bush administration and that the war they are currently fighting was started unnecessarily. That does not mean I don't support them bringing the war in Iraq to some sort of resolution that hopefully brings order and peace to Iraq.

acludem

acludem said:
Clearly, since we have found exactly 0 weapons of mass destruction, and there is exactly 0 proof that Saddam had anything to do with 9/11 (Al Qaeda considers him an infidel), and thus far 0 plan for trying to restore order in Iraq from this admistration, I'd say Dubya is batting .000 right now.

Bringing this back to the topic at hand....it is ridiculous to say that you can't support the troops and oppose the actions of the government at the same time. I support our men and women in uniform all over the world, but I believe that they and we were misled by the Bush administration and that the war they are currently fighting was started unnecessarily. That does not mean I don't support them bringing the war in Iraq to some sort of resolution that hopefully brings order and peace to Iraq.

acludem

Not true. We have found sarin gas. As well as the materials and infrostructure to build other WMDs. So while you might be able to claim we havent found alot you cant say we have found exactly 0.

No one has ever claimed that Saddam was directly or even indirectly involved in 911. Why do you liberals continue to pretend anyone has. Beating up the straw man doesnt help your cause. In fact it makes you ignore the real issue at hand. Saddam had ties to terror. heck the man invited Osama to live in Iraq. You think there were no ties between Saddam and Al Queda?

As for Iraq, the plan is working quite nicely. Yes there are some bumps. but the Iraqi government is slowly getting a handle on things. Its not like you can wave a magic wand and solve everything overnight. Besides, if you think a plan for Iraq is lacking why are you intending to vote for Kerry? He doesnt have a plan either. He claims he does but its a secret he wont tell us till after he is elected.

As for the topic at hand IE claiming to support the troops and then dishonoring them by attacking their actions when they liberate oppressed nations, ive said my bits before. I suppose its something we have to disagree on. you think Iraq was better under a ruthless dictator and it was unnecesary to take him out. I think Iraq is better free and that we should have liberated Iraq back in 92. I can agree to disagree.

The point is, the whole rationale for invading Iraq rested upon the now thoroughly discredited notion that Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction poised to strike at US troops, the US and Europe. When it was found that these weapons did not exist, Dubbyuh and his merry band tried to rewrite history. Bush, et al, are guilty of the same historical revisionism Bush accuses his opponents of.

Our troops deserve better from their leaders, and they have been both ill-used and ill-served by the present administration. They deserve all the support we can give them until this unjust and ill-concieved war is brought to a close and they are brought home.

Bullypulpit said:
The point is, the whole rationale for invading Iraq rested upon the now thoroughly discredited notion that Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction poised to strike at US troops, the US and Europe. When it was found that these weapons did not exist, Dubbyuh and his merry band tried to rewrite history. Bush, et al, are guilty of the same historical revisionism Bush accuses his opponents of.

Our troops deserve better from their leaders, and they have been both ill-used and ill-served by the present administration. They deserve all the support we can give them until this unjust and ill-concieved war is brought to a close and they are brought home.

Well, full circle now. Just because you write it as a declarative, does NOT make it so. In spite of the Wolfowitz argument, where he is basically saying that while there were many reasons, for arguments sake, they had 'decided' to boil it down to a soundbite; there were many statements by others, much more highly placed, making it clear that there were a multitude of reasons. The strongest being from GW at his SOTU address, prior to commencement of actions.

Not true. We have found sarin gas. As well as the materials and infrostructure to build other WMDs. So while you might be able to claim we havent found alot you cant say we have found exactly 0.

No one has ever claimed that Saddam was directly or even indirectly involved in 911. Why do you liberals continue to pretend anyone has. Beating up the straw man doesnt help your cause. In fact it makes you ignore the real issue at hand. Saddam had ties to terror. heck the man invited Osama to live in Iraq. You think there were no ties between Saddam and Al Queda?

As for Iraq, the plan is working quite nicely. Yes there are some bumps. but the Iraqi government is slowly getting a handle on things. Its not like you can wave a magic wand and solve everything overnight. Besides, if you think a plan for Iraq is lacking why are you intending to vote for Kerry? He doesnt have a plan either. He claims he does but its a secret he wont tell us till after he is elected.

As for the topic at hand IE claiming to support the troops and then dishonoring them by attacking their actions when they liberate oppressed nations, ive said my bits before. I suppose its something we have to disagree on. you think Iraq was better under a ruthless dictator and it was unnecesary to take him out. I think Iraq is better free and that we should have liberated Iraq back in 92. I can agree to disagree.

If you're going to try and present facts, at least get them straight. The Sarin gas found was in a few artillery shells left over from Gulf War I, and the shelf life of Sarin is only about 5 years. The other "wmd's" that were found were in the form of unexploded ordnance fired, also, during Gulf War I. There were NO massive stockpiles of anything found. Scott Ritter stated that (UNSCOM) had accounted for 95% of Iraq's WMD's after Gulf War I and prior to the invasion. He further stated that, had they been given enough time, they would have accounted for the remaining 5%. Bush refused to give them that time.

And, nobody has attacked the trops fpr their actions. Only the actions of the government that sent them into harms way are being questioned, and rightly so.

And, yet again, you miss the point. Liberating Iraq was not the objective of the Administration...that is until it was found that their original justification for going to war in Iraq was nothing more than a house of cards.

Sir Evil said:
Like I said about the dead horse!:rolleyes:

How many times must it be spoken about here about all the other reason that seem to go unfounded by the left? There was much more to the story other than WMD's!!!

How soon you forget. Go back and read the transcripts of speeches from the administration prior to the invasion of Iraq...Pollyanna.

Bullypulpit said:
How soon you forget. Go back and read the transcripts of speeches from the administration prior to the invasion of Iraq...Pollyanna.
bully, you need to catch up with the leberal rhetoric. The current blather is that Bush is not fighting the war correctly and that Kerry will do a much better job by getting the EU and the UN to help fight it ! Get with the program!

Bullypulpit said:
If you're going to try and present facts, at least get them straight. The Sarin gas found was in a few artillery shells left over from Gulf War I, and the shelf life of Sarin is only about 5 years. The other "wmd's" that were found were in the form of unexploded ordnance fired, also, during Gulf War I. There were NO massive stockpiles of anything found. Scott Ritter stated that (UNSCOM) had accounted for 95% of Iraq's WMD's after Gulf War I and prior to the invasion. He further stated that, had they been given enough time, they would have accounted for the remaining 5%. Bush refused to give them that time.

And, nobody has attacked the trops fpr their actions. Only the actions of the government that sent them into harms way are being questioned, and rightly so.

And, yet again, you miss the point. Liberating Iraq was not the objective of the Administration...that is until it was found that their original justification for going to war in Iraq was nothing more than a house of cards.

So despite having found Sarin gas, as you yourself have admitted. you are going to continue to claim we havent found squat. As i said you might argue we found no stockpiles you may argue that we havent found alot. But regardless how you spin it you cannot claim we have found 0. You see regardless of your spin its a lie because we have found some.

You attack your troops for their actions all the time. They liberated Iraq and you think Iraq would have been better with Saddam in charge. They are putting their lives on the time to sustain the peace and you are trying to undermine their efforts at home.

And you continue to falsely claim that liberating Iraq wasnt one of the main reasons we went in. The Presidents entire vision with Iraq has been to create a representative Republic in the middle of the middle east and thereby stabilizing the region. He was sharing this vision before the war. I picked it up then. It was one of the multiple points the administration argued for preemptively striking Iraq. Continuing to state otherwise despite all the admistrations speeches to the contrary before the war wont make it true. You are only lying to yourself because the rest of can read and think for ourselves and arent buying it.

So despite having found Sarin gas, as you yourself have admitted. you are going to continue to claim we havent found squat. As i said you might argue we found no stockpiles you may argue that we havent found alot. But regardless how you spin it you cannot claim we have found 0. You see regardless of your spin its a lie because we have found some.

You attack your troops for their actions all the time. They liberated Iraq and you think Iraq would have been better with Saddam in charge. They are putting their lives on the time to sustain the peace and you are trying to undermine their efforts at home.

And you continue to falsely claim that liberating Iraq wasnt one of the main reasons we went in. The Presidents entire vision with Iraq has been to create a representative Republic in the middle of the middle east and thereby stabilizing the region. He was sharing this vision before the war. I picked it up then. It was one of the multiple points the administration argued for preemptively striking Iraq. Continuing to state otherwise despite all the admistrations speeches to the contrary before the war wont make it true. You are only lying to yourself because the rest of can read and think for ourselves and arent buying it.

Misquoting again old son! The Sarin gas was LEFT OVER form GULF WAR I, and it ONLY has a shelf life of about 5 YEARS.

I have not attacked troops for their actions with the exception of rightly criticizing the attrocities at Abu Ghraib. If you are willing to sanction such behavior, perhaps your moral compass needs recalibrated.

As for making false claims about the Administrations goals in Iraq, I am only using their own words, and deeds, to indict them. The speeches to the contrary you cite came after the WMD story fell apart like a wet paper towel.

Your willingness to unquestioningly accept the revisionism of the Bush Administration highlights your own unwillingness to accept the reality of the failures of the Administration. Dismissed.

Forum List

Back