Can't Be 'For the Troops' and Against the War

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Annie, Sep 20, 2004.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Doesn't wash:

End of long letter, read it all here:

http://www.blackfive.net/main/2004/09/dear_america.html

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
  3. nakedemperor

nakedemperor Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +150
    One can protest the legislation that sent that marine to war, and those politicians supporting and passing that legislation that sent that marine to war, and still hope that that marine and all his brethren stay alive and do what is asked of them honorably and effectively. If I had to respond to that marine, it would be something along the lines of,

'Thanks to you and all the other rough men for your sacrifices and your hard work. I am truly sorry if it makes you and your companions tired or downtrodden to hear that I do not approve of the war you are fighting. I am also truly sorry you were asked to do what you are doing, as I don't think it was the right decision to have been made. However, since that decision was made and your involvement cannot be helped, I pray for your safe return and for a job well done by your brave corp. I would never do anything that took bullets from your gun nor caused your grenade to misfire.

Again, forgive us our civilian trespasses, they were not meant to do you harm or to impede your mission. They were meant to protest the decisions of those high above you. I could not in good conscience go along with a war that I believe in my heart of hearts is wrong and unjust; that does not mean that until the war is finished or those above you are convinced to bring you home that I will not continue to hope for victory and to hope for your safety.'

This is merely a hypothetical-- don't jump on me for not believing in this war, I believe in this war. I just disagree with the statement that you can't be opposed to a war but support the warrior.

4. MJDuncan1982

MJDuncan1982 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I agree and think it is absurd to think one cannot support the troops unless one supports what they are doing. I don't want any of them to die and I definitely don't want them doing something that I don't think they should be doing. Thanks to the marine but it is completely plausibe to support troops and not the conflict.

Simple analogy: I support gun-rights and the protection of the second amendment but I certainly don't agree with everything guns are used for. Our military is the "gun" of the United States. One can support it without supporting its use.

5. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Hey guys, did you read the link? Getting defensive. :eek2:

6. acludem

acludem VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Having read the full text of the letter, I still respectfully disagree with the author. It is possible to support the troops, to appreciate the sacrifice, but to argue that the sacrifice shouldn't have been necessary. You can support the players on a football team, but disagree with the play call made by the coach. Coach Dubya made the wrong call. He went for it on fourth down too early in the game. He should have punted and allowed us to play defense. Instead he fumbled and now we are forced to play on a short field.

It is time for new leadership that can give this writer and the rest of our military the tools and leadership necessary to win the peace and come home safe. We need John Kerry. George Bush has had his chance and he has failed miserably.

acludem

7. Flying Duck

Flying Duck Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +50
    As all analogies do, your football analogy sucks.

Most of those serving in Iraq beleive in what they are doing. You do not, therefore, you do not support them. What you are doing is not supporting the troops, it's called caring about people. Pat yourself on the back for caring.

By the way, those who actually support the troops and their mission care about soldiers as people too, even our stupid ole president.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,137
    Not only that, but they are dishonoring their memory. They are trying to convince the american people what our soldiers died for nothing. But they havent. We have just seen our soldiers bring liberty to two nations. And in the process get rid of two oppressive regimes that supported terror against the United States.

but then i think alot of Dems do support the troops. Even the extremists. problem is the extremists support the troops being disbanded and dying a slow painful death.

9. KarlMarx

KarlMarx Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +490
    I would think that supporting the troops would mean encouraging them, too. After all, if I were a soldier out there, I'd like an "atta boy" from back home to keep me going.

How would this sound?

"Soldier, I want you to know that I support you (although I do think that the war was totally unnecessary, illegal and a total waste of American lives) !! Just remember that the next time you are putting yourself in harm's way that we at home support you (but that that we don't agree with what you're doing, think it's a colossal waste of energy, lives, money, resources that could have been better spent here at home) !!! I want you to know that I respect you and the troops (although your Commander In Chief is a complete moron, an idiot, and he lied to you and all of us, he did it for oil and because Saddam Hussein tried to kill his Dad) !!!! Why I even have a yellow ribbon bumpersticker on the back on my SUV that says 'Support Our Troops' (right next to the bumper sticker that says 'Bush Lied People Died') !!!

Just to show my support, how about some free tickets to 'Fahrenheit 9/11'?"

I'd like to remind those who claim that they "support" our troops of the old axiom --- "Actions speak more loudly than words"

Donate to the USO

• Thank You! Thank You! x 4
  10. Bullypulpit

Bullypulpit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    One can indeed support the troops and be opposed to the war they are engaged in. Simply because that war is unjust and unjustifiable is no fault of theirs, and to deny them support is unthinkable. The die has been cast, and we must play it as it now falls.

But deny them the support of a clearly laid out plan for the occupation of Iraq...To base post-invasion plans on unrealistic and overly optimistic scenarios about the gratitude of the Iraqi citizenry...To fail to adequately fund infrastructure repair and rebuilding...To provide windfall profits to US corporation friendly to the Administration...The failure to provide jobs helping to rebuild the country to her citizens...These actions are criminal in ther failure to support our troops, and they can all be laid foursquare upon the doorstep of Dubbyuh's flawed and failed Administration.