Can't a Banana just be a Banana?

Bonnie

Jun 30, 2004
Wherever
Can't A Banana Be...Just A Banana?
By Dave Gibson (02/16/05)

The story I am about to tell you is absolutely true. The facts were first reported in the Columbus Ledger-Enquirer on Jan. 28, 2005 and verified by the Columbus Ohio Mayor's office. Though it is a completely absurd tale, it also brings to light something very serious.

On Jan. 15, 2005, a rally and march were held in Columbus, OH. The celebration was in observance of the national holiday which bears the name of Martin Luther King. About 8,000 people attended the march, the rally included a speech by Jesse Jackson.

A woman whose name is yet to be divulged, has created a racial incident...where there was none. She was attending the rally and claimed to have been "deeply offended" by the sight of a Columbus police officer, as he chowed down on a banana...Not joking!

The Columbus Police Department sent out a van to distribute snacks to the officers, who were working the event. Yes, bananas were some of the snacks made available to them.

Mayor of Columbus Bob Poydasheff claims that the woman began placing several phone calls to his office, to lodge a complaint against the police department. She asserts that because the officer was eating a banana--he was attempting to agitate the black crowd. She said that it was as if the policeman was calling them all apes!

Mayor Poydasheff spoke to the woman and recalled her comments for the newspaper, they were as follows: "No, no, no, no. When the buses pulled into the Civic Center, I saw a policeman eating a banana, and I didn't know what to say," she said it "was an affront to me and to others, including a former state senator (whom she failed to name)."

The Mayor told the Ledger-Enquirer: "I was stunned. I said, What's wrong with that? Police were on their feet for eight hours. They had to get potassium in their system."

However, the woman demanded an apology to the racist act of consuming a banana. Being the typical spineless politician which Mayor Poydasheff appears to be--she received one.

The Mayor sent her a handwritten letter of apology and said that it would not happen again.

I don't know which person deserves the most ridicule, the woman looking for a reason to excuse her own racist feelings toward white policemen, or the Mayor who lends her encouragement.

The fact that the only thing that 8,000 black people (remember...Jesse Jackson was one of them) could find to complain about is that a white man was seen eating a banana...speaks volumes about just how far race relations have come. Forty years ago, violence would have been seen at such an event.

Unfortunately, there are many people who seem to seek-out racism. They create incidents, where none have taken place. It would seem that there is a segment of the black population who just could not be happy, if they had nothing to complain about.

This nation has now seen back-to-back black Secretary's of State in Colin Powell and Condoleeza Rice. We now have the first Latino U.S. Attorney General in Alberto Gonzales. We may soon see the first black Chief Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court. President Bush has made no secret of the fact that he wants to see Justice Clarence Thomas take the top position on the court.

Even Jesse Jackson has toned-down his ridiculous rhetoric and can often be seen standing with Bill Cosby. Cosby tours the country, telling black people the truth...the problems they face today are not caused by white people. Even the race-baiter Al Sharpton seems to have folded up his tent. Sharpton is now defending the rights of chickens--headed for the 'Colonels' fryer.

As ridiculous as the banana complaint may be...it does send a powerful message... It is time to bring the Civil Rights movement to a close. It is time to end the policy of Affirmative Action, hiring quotas, and race-based scholarships. Those actions have now become a source of discrimination against white people. They have actually become part of the problem, rather than part of the solution. They are in fact, racist.

Yes, racism is wrong even when it is directed towards a white person.

http://www.americandaily.com/article/6842

I was walking down the street in a black neighborhood the other day, and was utterly dismayed and disheartened to see one child on the corner eating crackers. CRACKERS! How can they teach their children to hate 'whitey' at so young an age??? :tng:

Comrade said:
I was walking down the street in a black neighborhood the other day, and was utterly dismayed and disheartened to see one child on the corner eating crackers. CRACKERS! How can they teach their children to hate 'whitey' at so young an age??? :tng:

:rotflmao:

Comrade said:

A billboard advertising the recent Casper the Friendly Ghost movie was also deemed highly inappropriate and inflammatory by the white caucus. Letters were written, and voices were raised.

I cant believe people can go so far overboard with such things as this, and I'm appalled that this woman actually received an apology for it, which basically justified her behavior.

pennyville73 said:
I cant believe people can go so far overboard with such things as this, and I'm appalled that this woman actually received an apology for it, which basically justified her behavior.

Not only that, but I'm willing to bet that the letter could be used as evidence if she chose to sue. It was a huge mistake to give it to her.

If the policeman was the one eating the banana....wouldn't that make HIM the ape? :banana2:

I driving my car the other day and got one of those sweaty stains on the back of my shirt. A Mexican at the gas station refused to work the pump and stomped off in disgust at my abject display of bigotry. :teeth:

I was drying my hair with a towel after getting out of the shower the other day and happened to answer the door for the Domino Delivery driver. Unfortunately, he was an Arab, took offence at my display of bigotry, and refused to give me my pizza!

Come on now, people. You're just trying to gloss over the ugly truth:

Of COURSE that cop meant it as a racial slur. He's a white American, isn't he? And white Americans are INNATELY racist. Ask any liberal college professor.

Oops - "liberal college professor" is actually a redundancy. Sorry.

We shouldn't really judge the mayor too harshly here. It is, after all, Columbus, Ohio.

Bullypulpit is considered one of the SMART guys up there.

well what can ya say...
if your looking for something hard enough, your going to find it where ever you look.
well i thought columbus wasnt too bad....

musicman said:
Come on now, people. You're just trying to gloss over the ugly truth:

And white Americans are INNATELY racist. Ask any liberal college professor.
Or Queen Latifah !

Oops - "liberal college professor" is actually a redundancy. Sorry.

So true!!

Not only was this police officer racists, he was sexist. We all "know" what a banana really insinuates...

I love the "cracker" post, laughed very hard.

Funny thing is, why is it ok to call us "white boys?" If we call them "black boys," we are racists. Wait, if we eat a banana, we are racists. Wait, if we eat an apple, we are racists against the "red skin" man.

This has got to stop.

This mayor, canned. He simply was kissing ....to get extra votes. Is this really what this country is about? I hope not.

***white male*** :fifty:

Yurt said:
Not only was this police officer racists, he was sexist. We all "know" what a banana really insinuates...

I love the "cracker" post, laughed very hard.

Funny thing is, why is it ok to call us "white boys?" If we call them "black boys," we are racists. Wait, if we eat a banana, we are racists. Wait, if we eat an apple, we are racists against the "red skin" man.

This has got to stop.

This mayor, canned. He simply was kissing ....to get extra votes. Is this really what this country is about? I hope not.

***white male*** :fifty:

well you know they have to give into everyone but the white person (or more to the point, the white male). or so it seems anyway.

Forum List

Back