Canning & preserving

we have a friend who has texas long horns..... BIG damn cows! the bull was called Big Time... and holy shit he thought he was a puppy. The first time i met him....i was carrying the bucked of treats... and OMG... he came running at a full charge. :eek:

So from WAY over there...i could barely hear him.... rick is screaming..... "pick up a stick!!! pick up a stick!" ... wtf.... so i picked up this stick that looked like a piece of spaghetti and held it out....and Big Time stopped dead in his tracks. :lmao:

I didn't get a stick, darnit!

jeremiah has cow manure for his garden, too.

Cool.

im sure if he had not stopped at the stick... rick would have shot him. I am not sure the stick would have worked on your bull... but it worked for him.

Well some people use a small stick that has an electric zap that does not hurt them but they don't like it. I don't use one of those. I clap my hands if I want him to back off. If I pick up a stick he will think it is one of those and the rancher I bought him from did have one. That is why the long horn stopped when you picked up the stick. He knows what that is. - Jeri

p.s. I am a her but yes the cow manure is good but chicken manure is actually the best - you have to blend that into the soil or it will burn the plants. I don't use any chemicals or artificial products in my soil. It is all natural. I am planning to build a green house that will be hydroponics - it uses the fish excement from the water that circulates from your fish pond. - I'm building the waterfall and fishpond next - I just finished my patio. Now that I know how to put up photos I will put up the patio before and after pics. I used a paver mold and a tooth brush to do the entire patio project. - Jeri

I made the mistake of trying to bond my Great Pyrenees pup with our cows.

It didn't work out too well. They tried to bond him to the dirt....

there are two things to remember about cows...

Well there are more than two but for now, just two...

1. If a calf makes a particular bawling noise, every mama cow and every bull in the pasture is going to go on the warpath. Every head will come up and they will come on the run.

2. If you have a dog in the field and the cows are chasing it, it's going to hide behind you...and cows just don't care.

You're welcome, lol.

:lmao:

I didn't get a stick, darnit!

jeremiah has cow manure for his garden, too.

Cool.

im sure if he had not stopped at the stick... rick would have shot him. I am not sure the stick would have worked on your bull... but it worked for him.

Well some people use a small stick that has an electric zap that does not hurt them but they don't like it. I don't use one of those. I clap my hands if I want him to back off. If I pick up a stick he will think it is one of those and the rancher I bought him from did have one. That is why the long horn stopped when you picked up the stick. He knows what that is. - Jeri

I tell ya though.... we all carry guns there.(of course that time..i didnt!).... rick insisted on it. (oops my bad) He flat out told us if we are charged... shoot to kill. One of the neighbors bulls charged its owner and hit him square in the chest... and killed him. After that that was the farm rule.... carry a gun.

The also got a "Bevo" One of the Texas A&M mascot longhorns when it was retired.... Now that was one spoiled bull!!!

Bulls are dangerous. Cows are, too...but they aren't quite as capricious as bulls...or as strong.

Another important thing to know about cattle is that they have no problem at all walking all over you. Horses generally won't...they will avoid stepping on people (mostly). Horses running won't just tromple you, if they can avoid it in anyway.

Cows don't care. If you happen to be laying on the ground drinking a drink or braiding a daisy chain...and your pet cow is coming up from the creek and puts a foot wrong..there will be no quit maneuvering to avoid squishing you. Likewise, if you are between a cow and a fence and the cow needs to turn around, you're going to get squished and possibly killed. YOu can push against a horse and a horse will give way. But a cow won't.

Once they learn they can go through fences you're in trouble too. They don't get injured by wire like horses do...I've seen cows that will just walk right through 4 strands of barbed wire, ripping it up, and all the cows of the field will follow.

Cows are a big pain. I always thought I'd like them a lot more if they were...I dunno...miniature...or something...lol.

Oh and it's exceedingly hard to kill a grown bull with a shot to the head. You have to know where to aim and you need a calibre that will penetrate that ungodly thick skull....

And for some reason, the few times I've been conned into helping with cattle, I always end up managing the freaking bulls....

Bulls are dangerous. Cows are, too...but they aren't quite as capricious as bulls...or as strong.

Another important thing to know about cattle is that they have no problem at all walking all over you. Horses generally won't...they will avoid stepping on people (mostly). Horses running won't just tromple you, if they can avoid it in anyway.

Cows don't care. If you happen to be laying on the ground drinking a drink or braiding a daisy chain...and your pet cow is coming up from the creek and puts a foot wrong..there will be no quit maneuvering to avoid squishing you. Likewise, if you are between a cow and a fence and the cow needs to turn around, you're going to get squished and possibly killed. YOu can push against a horse and a horse will give way. But a cow won't.

Once they learn they can go through fences you're in trouble too. They don't get injured by wire like horses do...I've seen cows that will just walk right through 4 strands of barbed wire, ripping it up, and all the cows of the field will follow.

Cows are a big pain. I always thought I'd like them a lot more if they were...I dunno...miniature...or something...lol.

Oh and it's exceedingly hard to kill a grown bull with a shot to the head. You have to know where to aim and you need a calibre that will penetrate that ungodly thick skull....

omg.... the long horns would just use their horns, wrap the barb wire around them and twist it out.... the grass on the other side ya know. They would get calls all the time... "the cows are out" .... so it was back to pounding in posts with the back hoe.

I throw the treats and run for the hills.

I freaking hate cows, always have lol.

Forum List

Back