Cannibal star is devouring a planet, astronomers say

beowolfe

Aug 3, 2009
PARIS (AFP) – Like the Roman god Saturn who ate his own children, a star 600 light years from Earth is slowly gobbling up one of its own planets, according to a study released on Wednesday in Nature, the British science journal.

The planet, whose discovery was reported last year, is a "gas giant" with a mass about 40 percent greater than that of Jupiter, the biggest planet of our Solar System, and with a radius 79 percent bigger

Cannibal star is devouring a planet, astronomers say - Yahoo! News

If a star devours a planet, does it use the matter from the planet as fuel to prolong the stars life?

PARIS (AFP) – Like the Roman god Saturn who ate his own children, a star 600 light years from Earth is slowly gobbling up one of its own planets, according to a study released on Wednesday in Nature, the British science journal.

The planet, whose discovery was reported last year, is a "gas giant" with a mass about 40 percent greater than that of Jupiter, the biggest planet of our Solar System, and with a radius 79 percent bigger

If a star devours a planet, does it use the matter from the planet as fuel to prolong the stars life?

Listen, the Earth will eventually be consumed by the Sun. If the star consumes a planet,
Yes , some of that planetary material is converted into energy.Who cares about all
this Star search, and Gama ray search!!, spend the money here on Earth.

It never ceases to amaze me , how grown white men can squander billions of much needed dollars of foolish pursuits.!!

Interesting......the only thing the conservatives on this board can bring up is that it's a waste of money and some political bullshit about Michelle Obama.

You guys don't care much about science do you?

Thanks for the post Beowulf. By the way, did you hear about the start that is ready to go supernova? Scientists say that it's possible it can go at anytime (didn't form right, and it's already started to collapse). It was discovered by Hubble just a year or so ago.

They say that the light from that star exploding will be as bright as a full moon.

My question is for all the theologians, think the same kind of event may have happened at the birth of Yeshua?

Listen, the Earth will eventually be consumed by the Sun. If the star consumes a planet,
Yes , some of that planetary material is converted into energy.Who cares about all
this Star search, and Gama ray search!!, spend the money here on Earth.

It never ceases to amaze me , how grown white men can squander billions of much needed dollars of foolish pursuits.!!

Squandering money in foolish pursuits? Umm......you do realize that Hubble is the thing that gave us those pictures, as well as has shown some interesting things about the sun, right?

Remember a couple years back when the Blackberrys had massive shutdowns on half the planet, and a couple of days later, the other half shut down like that as well?

It was because of solar storms which caused an electromagnetic disruption in the magnetic shield Earth has.

Don't you think, that in the day of global communication, which depends on satellites, which are affected by electromagnetic radiation, that finding out things like this is a bit more than just a "silly pursuit"?

Interesting......the only thing the conservatives on this board can bring up is that it's a waste of money and some political bullshit about Michelle Obama.

Thanks for the post Beowulf. By the way, did you hear about the start that is ready to go supernova? Scientists say that it's possible it can go at anytime (didn't form right, and it's already started to collapse). It was discovered by Hubble just a year or so ago.

They say that the light from that star exploding will be as bright as a full moon.

My question is for all the theologians, think the same kind of event may have happened at the birth of Yeshua?

Why is Obama turning NASA into a Global Warming monitor?

I think you need to take a chill pill.. I'm pretty sure Frank was fooling around, don't take it so seriously. :)

I think you need to take a chill pill.. I'm pretty sure Frank was fooling around, don't take it so seriously. :)

My constant challenge is to drive Libs nuts with as few words as possible.

So, Tom the Nancy Boy, what do you have to contribute to the conversation other than blithering stupidity?

Funny how you call me a Nancy boy but you're the one be the Sissy talking shit like your a big shot, eh? ;)

:lol:

And my Contribution was to tell you to calm down, you take things way to seriously. I suggest a massage to ease the pain and anxiety.

Yeah, imagine the vista of a star devouring a planet. Wow that makes me think about Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy when they're visiting the restaurant at the end of the galaxy or whatever it was called. Awesome!

Why is Obama turning NASA into a Global Warming monitor?
---------------------------------

Is he? Are you saying they've only been doing it since 1/21/09? Are you SURE you want to say that? Any wonder the Obama haters can't be trusted?

My constant challenge is to drive Libs nuts with as few words as possible.

So you admit to being a pathetic loser troll, nice

For more about gas giants...

gasgiant.com

New Topics

Forum List

Back