Cannabis and tobacco smoke are not equally carcinogenic

blu

Sep 21, 2009

More people are using the cannabis plant as modern basic and clinical science reaffirms and extends its medicinal uses. Concomitantly, concern and opposition to smoked medicine has occurred, in part due to the known carcinogenic consequences of smoking tobacco. Are these reactions justified? While chemically very similar, there are fundamental differences in the pharmacological properties between cannabis and tobacco smoke. Cannabis smoke contains cannabinoids whereas tobacco smoke contains nicotine. Available scientific data, that examines the carcinogenic properties of inhaling smoke and its biological consequences, suggests reasons why tobacco smoke, but not cannabis smoke, may result in lung cancer.

very interesting and easy read. I wonder if this will finally dispel the myth about weed being more harmful than cigarettes

Que the fear mongering Klansman. Uh I mean republicans for freedom. Unless your gay, smoke pot, dislike invasion, have a different religion.

I never knew anyone who smoked weed and didn't also smoke cigarettes, although I suppose there are some.

Who in their right mind thinks weed is more harmful than tobacco? And who smokes upwards of 20 joints a day?

back when I use to smoke pot (10 years ago) I was a 3 or 4 hit wonder.

I didn't even roll joints...(waste of pot)

a small pipe

3 or 4 hits...

and off to my music room to play/record for a few hours a night

and that was it for me!

That's some shitty weed if they can smoke 20 joints a day. 3 joints of Rasta Sensi will have most people napping.

More people are using the cannabis plant as modern basic and clinical science reaffirms and extends its medicinal uses. Concomitantly, concern and opposition to smoked medicine has occurred, in part due to the known carcinogenic consequences of smoking tobacco. Are these reactions justified? While chemically very similar, there are fundamental differences in the pharmacological properties between cannabis and tobacco smoke. Cannabis smoke contains cannabinoids whereas tobacco smoke contains nicotine. Available scientific data, that examines the carcinogenic properties of inhaling smoke and its biological consequences, suggests reasons why tobacco smoke, but not cannabis smoke, may result in lung cancer.

very interesting and easy read. I wonder if this will finally dispel the myth about weed being more harmful than cigarettes

When you consider all of the nasty additives in cigarettes it makes sense they would be more carcinogenic.

Okay, when I was around people smoking marijuana was a time when smoking cigarettes was not considered a sin. Everybody smoked everywhere--even hospital rooms.

Who in their right mind thinks weed is more harmful than tobacco? And who smokes upwards of 20 joints a day?

back when I use to smoke pot (10 years ago) I was a 3 or 4 hit wonder.

I didn't even roll joints...(waste of pot)

a small pipe

3 or 4 hits...

and off to my music room to play/record for a few hours a night

and that was it for me!

Lightweight!

When you consider all of the nasty additives in cigarettes it makes sense they would be more carcinogenic.

It's the nicotine. Pot doesn't have nicotine. Nicotine is DEADLY, a complete poison. You can kill people with nicotine.

Um DUH, Pot smoke has NO NICOTINE in it. NICOTINE is the MAIN cancer causing agent in Tobacco. It is also what makes Addiction to Tobacco as bad as Heroin While Pot Addiction is not nearly as hard to kick.
Nicotine Makes you Physically addicted to it. You actually feel pain and discomfort them you do not have it. Pot simply makes you mentally addicted to it, Not physically.

However it is not a myth that it can be more harmful to smoke pot than Tobacco. The second most damaging part of Smoking Tobacco is the Direct heat damage to the throat and lungs from inhaling HOT smoke. Cigarette smoke coming through a filter is MUCH cooler than the PIPING hot smoke from a pot Joint that has no filter, also Pot smokers deliberately hold the smoke in for a long time. This is why it can be even more Harmful than Tobacco.

Use a water bong and dont hold it in so long and it will be way less damaging. (studies show holding the smoke in gives you a negligible higher amount of THC intake to begin with. Your lungs take in what they want, Holding it in is not going to make them take in more of it.)

Last edited:
Sorry bout that,

1. I have two things to say about this topic.
2. One, "Dopes for losers".
3. And two, "Get off the dope".

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Um DUH, Pot smoke has NO NICOTINE in it. NICOTINE is the MAIN cancer causing agent in Tobacco. It is also what makes Addiction to Tobacco as bad as Heroin While Pot Addiction is not nearly as hard to kick.
Nicotine Makes you Physically addicted to it. You actually feel pain and discomfort them you do not have it. Pot simply makes you mentally addicted to it, Not physically.

However it is not a myth that it can be more harmful to smoke pot than Tobacco. The second most damaging part of Smoking Tobacco is the Direct heat damage to the throat and lungs from inhaling HOT smoke. Cigarette smoke coming through a filter is MUCH cooler than the PIPING hot smoke from a pot Joint that has no filter, also Pot smokers deliberately hold the smoke in for a long time. This is why it can be even more Harmful than Tobacco.

Use a water bong and dont hold it in so long and it will be way less damaging. (studies show holding the smoke in gives you a negligible higher amount of THC intake to begin with. Your lungs take in what they want, Holding it in is not going to make them take in more of it.)

WHAT??? No need to hold in the smoke?
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVQukw8DkaY]YouTube - dramatic cat (plus orchestral score)[/ame]

New Topics

Forum List

Back