Canis Lupes Back in California...

Yes, great news.

I was driving through Yosemite a couple years ago and a car was stopped in the middle of the road going the other way so I stopped on my side next to it and got out to see what was up. Then what looked like a wolf walked behind the other car and past me to the other side of my car. I got back in my car as you can imagine. But his thing just sat next to the passenger door for a few minutes. It was thin but had long hair and was colored like a wolf. I found out later it was a 'mountain coyote'. Much larger than a coyote. Very cool looking.

I found out there haven't been wolves in California for many decades so this is good news.

Before I had full custody of my daughter she lived a block away from this guy that had full blooded wolves and wolf dogs. He ran a rescue and he told me that there were wolves still around. This was in the 90's. This is the first official word I have seen on it.

One of my favorite animals has found its way back to California. Whats next? Grizzly bears which is on the state flag?

California may be seeing return of wolf population - CNN.com

There is a population in Oregon which has been expected to wander over into extreme Northern California. They should be okay in the far Northeastern part of the state- but I think they are too much an alpha predator to extend too far south.

Grizzlies would be problematic- Grizzlies aren't scared of anything- sad they were exterminated in California but doubt they could co-exist here now.

Reintroducing wolves into Yellowstone has had an interesting effect- dramatically reduced the coyote population, and pushed the elk away from the river banks, allowing for more trees to grow along the banks, which spurred beaver population increases.

Reintroducing wolves into Yellowstone has had an interesting effect- dramatically reduced the coyote population, and pushed the elk away from the river banks, allowing for more trees to grow along the banks, which spurred beaver population increases.
Everything is interconnected.

One of my favorite animals has found its way back to California. Whats next? Grizzly bears which is on the state flag?

California may be seeing return of wolf population - CNN.com

There is a population in Oregon which has been expected to wander over into extreme Northern California. They should be okay in the far Northeastern part of the state- but I think they are too much an alpha predator to extend too far south.

Grizzlies would be problematic- Grizzlies aren't scared of anything- sad they were exterminated in California but doubt they could co-exist here now.
There is a lot a land they could inhabit at least down into the Bay Area. I know I had the delight of running into a mountain lion one day in Sacramento.

Also resulted in an increase of the bird population, as there is now more vegatation nest and shelter in.

Forum List

Back