Cane and Able

ScreamingEagle

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2004
Cain=McCain, Able=Frist (& Bush & co.)

This has been the first time in years that the Republicans have a majority to take back the Courts. But brother is pitted against brother. Playing presidential politics has doomed the conservatives with regard to appointing Bush's 10 judicial nominees. They now only get only 3 of the 10 they wanted due to a deal struck by a few Republican moderates siding with Democrats. The nuclear option cannot be used for the rest of the session, another year and a half. All because McCain wanted to knock out Frist in his run for president in 2008. To get his revenge on Bush. To make his move for power. This is politics folks. Dirty as ever. Sacrifice the one big chance for taking back the Courts for the American people because of selfish personal ambition.

Frist, it must be said, did not participate in this deal and he could still call for the nuclear option. He could still fight back and call for up and down votes on each candidate and I hope he does. However, it now appears that the minority that is now controlling the majority is not the Dems but is a group of about 7 moderates within the R party. :mad:

frist doesnt stand a chance at 2008 because his hypocrisy from 2000 would be splayed all over the country.

SmarterThanYou said:
frist doesnt stand a chance at 2008 because his hypocrisy from 2000 would be splayed all over the country.

Pfft. Filibustering for more info or for scheduling is quite different from filibustering a bonafide nominated candidate.

McCain didn't do this just for chuckles. He wants to cut down Frist.

ScreamingEagle said:
Pfft. Filibustering for more info or for scheduling is quite different from filibustering a bonafide nominated candidate.
Frist did NOT filibuster, or vote to filibuster, for 'scheduling' purposes. His BS was exposed by his peer, Bob Smith, when a memo came out from him stating his explicit attempt to block the nomination.

SmarterThanYou said:
Frist did NOT filibuster, or vote to filibuster, for 'scheduling' purposes. His BS was exposed by his peer, Bob Smith, when a memo came out from him stating his explicit attempt to block the nomination.

Who the hell cares? (But pls link me to that proof) Filibustering seems to be the right thing to do, according to Democrats and moderates, right?

Let the gloves come off. I hope Frist raises the roof.

http://www.thenation.com/doc.mhtml?i=20050321&s=legum

On March 9, 2000, Frist participated in a filibuster of Richard Paez, President Clinton's nominee to the Ninth Circuit. When confronted about his vote late last year, Frist claimed he filibustered Paez for "scheduling" purposes. Not true. A press release by former Senator Bob Smith titled "Smith Leads Effort to Block Activist Judicial Nominees" plainly states that the intent of the filibuster was to "block" the Paez nomination.

SmarterThanYou said:
http://www.thenation.com/doc.mhtml?i=20050321&s=legum

On March 9, 2000, Frist participated in a filibuster of Richard Paez, President Clinton's nominee to the Ninth Circuit. When confronted about his vote late last year, Frist claimed he filibustered Paez for "scheduling" purposes. Not true. A press release by former Senator Bob Smith titled "Smith Leads Effort to Block Activist Judicial Nominees" plainly states that the intent of the filibuster was to "block" the Paez nomination.

Blocking a nomination and blocking an appointment are two different things.

ScreamingEagle said:
Blocking a nomination and blocking an appointment are two different things.
semantics. it's very much the same.

SmarterThanYou said:
semantics. it's very much the same.

Maybe, maybe not. That's politics. :D

Tell me, as an independent, what do you think of McCains move?

All I know is that if I have to listen to one more soundbyte of Sheets Byrd saying how he just saved the Republic, I'm gonna throw up.

Forum List

Back