Candidate Romney's (R) Mexican heritage

No, for the record, I'm an atheist/ ex-Catholic, and I don't have a Dog or God in this fight. I don't like Mormonism because it crosses the line from dumb superstitions (like most religions) and into the arena of outright fraud (essentially started by a guy who made up a fake religion so he could boink the teenage daughters of his followers and defraud them out of their money.) I also have a half-dozen reasons for despising Romney that have nothing to do with which sky pixie he worships. .

Ok, you're smarter than us dummies who worship our God; I get it. However, what is wrong with Mormonism, other than your disdain for it?

What is wrong with it is why I disdain it.

The whole purpose of Joseph Smith's book of Mormon was to create an additional scripture that even had Jesus in it that would validate his belief system. But we now know he made it up. (Actually, he plagarized the idea from writings at the time, but that's a quibble.)

We know that Ancient Hebrews did not settle the Americas. We know that the Kinderhook tablets he claimed were writings in "Reformed Egyptian" were in fact tablets made by his neighbors pranking him. We know that the "Book of Abraham" he claimed was an account by the Patriarch was in fact a Ptomoleic Funerary Scroll from about 2000 years later. There are a half a dozen sciences that completely debunk Mormonism.

Now, there are parts of the bible we know are silly myths, but we know there really was a Hebrew/Israelite/Judean civilization that assembled the books of the bible. So the line between rewriting traditions and using metaphors and just making stuff up is pretty blurry.

Joseph Smith was making stuff up to get money, power and sex.

So what does that have to do with Romney? Well, we really should ask, Does he believe the Book Of Mormon is real or not? I mean, if you are going to ask Bachmann and others if they believe in Evolution or not, I think it's equally fair to ask Romney if he believes in Nephites and Lamanites...

There is no better way to get the Hispanic vote, then to be Hispanic.

Let's point out some things about Romney besides his Religion that should make Republicans and Conservatives want to avoid him like the plague. And just to be totally unfair, I will compare him to Governor Perry and let you decide.

1) RomneyCare- It's going to be very hard to run on a platform of repeal and reform of ObamaCare when you are running the guy who came up with the Beta Version. Obama will be able to run circles around him with this one. Rick Perry, on the other hand, has been able to reform malpractice abuse, inspire technical innovation and increase the number of doctors practicing in Texas.

2) Jobs- Besides his own weak record on job creation in Massachusetts, Romney made his fortune on buying up companies, putting people out of jobs and cashing them in. IN short, he got rich laying people off. Bad form when people have been living in fear of job loss. Again, compare to Gov. Perry, who has created 4 out of the 10 jobs created in the last three years within his state.

3) Flip Flops- Romney has changed his mind on gay marriage, abortion and just about every other issue important to values voters. Now, personally, these are not important issues to me, but I respect someone who is consistant in their beliefs.

4) He's just not a very good campaigner. Let's look back to 2008, shall we. Romney raised the biggest war chest and had a solid campaign organization. And he came in third place behind Huckabee running on a shoestring and McCain running on fumes because he took public financing (initially). In fact, the only reason why he wasn't completely eliminated was because he was the only guy who seriously contested Michigan (with it's unauthorized primary) and he pretty much had to promise the auto workers the moon. (He would later go on to condemn Obama actually saving the Auto Industry.) Governor Perry has run three tough campaigns for Governor and won them all.

5) Veteran's Day - Perry is an Air Force veteran. Romney managed to avoid military service.

Let's point out some things about Romney besides his Religion that should make Republicans and Conservatives want to avoid him like the plague. And just to be totally unfair, I will compare him to Governor Perry and let you decide.

1) RomneyCare- It's going to be very hard to run on a platform of repeal and reform of ObamaCare when you are running the guy who came up with the Beta Version. Obama will be able to run circles around him with this one. Rick Perry, on the other hand, has been able to reform malpractice abuse, inspire technical innovation and increase the number of doctors practicing in Texas.

2) Jobs- Besides his own weak record on job creation in Massachusetts, Romney made his fortune on buying up companies, putting people out of jobs and cashing them in. IN short, he got rich laying people off. Bad form when people have been living in fear of job loss. Again, compare to Gov. Perry, who has created 4 out of the 10 jobs created in the last three years within his state.

3) Flip Flops- Romney has changed his mind on gay marriage, abortion and just about every other issue important to values voters. Now, personally, these are not important issues to me, but I respect someone who is consistant in their beliefs.

4) He's just not a very good campaigner. Let's look back to 2008, shall we. Romney raised the biggest war chest and had a solid campaign organization. And he came in third place behind Huckabee running on a shoestring and McCain running on fumes because he took public financing (initially). In fact, the only reason why he wasn't completely eliminated was because he was the only guy who seriously contested Michigan (with it's unauthorized primary) and he pretty much had to promise the auto workers the moon. (He would later go on to condemn Obama actually saving the Auto Industry.) Governor Perry has run three tough campaigns for Governor and won them all.

5) Veteran's Day - Perry is an Air Force veteran. Romney managed to avoid military service.

These 4 are valid points, whether or not Romney is a Mormon is not. I'm sure there was a small minority that wont vote for a mormon, and I'm sure most of them are liberals, because mormons are traditionally very conservative.
But I'm sure there was also a portion of the population that said they wouldn't vote for a black man for president either. Actually I'm pretty sure you could find a group of people that wouldn't vote for someone because they are protestant, catholic, atheist, agnostic buddhist, hindu, white, hispanic, male, female, disabled, not been in the military, or a veteran, or basically any other way you want to catalog someone.
I'll go further, Massachusetts is typically a liberal state, and a large group of liberals wont vote for mormons, then how did he become governor of massachusetts?

[These 4 are valid points, whether or not Romney is a Mormon is not. I'm sure there was a small minority that wont vote for a mormon, and I'm sure most of them are liberals, because mormons are traditionally very conservative.
But I'm sure there was also a portion of the population that said they wouldn't vote for a black man for president either. Actually I'm pretty sure you could find a group of people that wouldn't vote for someone because they are protestant, catholic, atheist, agnostic buddhist, hindu, white, hispanic, male, female, disabled, not been in the military, or a veteran, or basically any other way you want to catalog someone.?

A couple points. It isn't a small minority. It's a good size chunk. 22% of all voters, 27% of Democrats , 19% of independents and 18% of Republicans.

Gallup: 22% Say They Wouldn't Vote for a Mormon | The Weekly Standard

This same poll tested other groups. Black was at 5%, A woman at 6%, etc. The only two groups that had more in the "won't vote for category" than LDS were Atheists (49%) and gays (32%)

I'll go further, Massachusetts is typically a liberal state, and a large group of liberals wont vote for mormons, then how did he become governor of massachusetts?

And I'll admit, I don't know. (and if any posters from MA can illuminate, please do so) If I were to hazard a guess, it was probably because the issue didn't come up. People just don't pay as much attention to these gubenatorial candidates as they do to presidential ones, which is how you get some real clowns in some of these offices.

Doing a bit of research, though, it would seem his opponent in 2002 was a real non-entity named Shannon O'Brien. He spent 6 million of his own money. And he only won 49-44%.

Damn, you actually really believe that bullshit about the right being racist? Seriously?

Here’s evidence in support:

‘Just some illegal beaner running from the cops, nothing new.’

And there’s ample evidence of others on the right exhibiting similar ignorant racism.

Consequently it’s logical for the OP to infer this may be an issue for some on the right. This of course doesn’t mean racism is officially sanctioned by conservatives as part of their dogma, but given the disproportionately large number of racist remarks and like ignorant statements made by members of the right, the query is perfectly appropriate.

As a Mass resident, let me tell you how he won.... He won because his predicessors were utter morons who had run the state into the ground through mismanagement. Romney basically ran a.... "Look at what I did with the Olympics" campaign. That's really the only thing that his campaign talked about. How he's managed to drag the Salt Lake City Olympics back from the brink of being taken away by the IOC and "saved the games" with his management style and experience.

Damn, you actually really believe that bullshit about the right being racist? Seriously?

And there’s ample evidence of others on the right exhibiting similar ignorant racism.

Consequently it’s logical for the OP to infer this may be an issue for some on the right. This of course doesn’t mean racism is officially sanctioned by conservatives as part of their dogma, but given the disproportionately large number of racist remarks and like ignorant statements made by members of the right, the query is perfectly appropriate.

Yeah, only conservatives are racist.....
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETn2rpuGMt8]‪Biden Makes Racist Gaffes‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

Yeah, only conservatives are racist.....
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETn2rpuGMt8]‪Biden Makes Racist Gaffes‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

Nobody ever said in this thread that all the racists in the world or the US of A were conservatives/republicans/GOP/neo-cons

Well that's good.
Because in fact virtually none of them are racists. Only Democrats are racist. Only Democrats hate black people so much they want to keep them in failing welfare dependencies and keep their kids in failing inner city schools.

[These 4 are valid points, whether or not Romney is a Mormon is not. I'm sure there was a small minority that wont vote for a mormon, and I'm sure most of them are liberals, because mormons are traditionally very conservative.
But I'm sure there was also a portion of the population that said they wouldn't vote for a black man for president either. Actually I'm pretty sure you could find a group of people that wouldn't vote for someone because they are protestant, catholic, atheist, agnostic buddhist, hindu, white, hispanic, male, female, disabled, not been in the military, or a veteran, or basically any other way you want to catalog someone.?

A couple points. It isn't a small minority. It's a good size chunk. 22% of all voters, 27% of Democrats , 19% of independents and 18% of Republicans.

Gallup: 22% Say They Wouldn't Vote for a Mormon | The Weekly Standard

This same poll tested other groups. Black was at 5%, A woman at 6%, etc. The only two groups that had more in the "won't vote for category" than LDS were Atheists (49%) and gays (32%)

And I'll admit, I don't know. (and if any posters from MA can illuminate, please do so) If I were to hazard a guess, it was probably because the issue didn't come up. People just don't pay as much attention to these gubenatorial candidates as they do to presidential ones, which is how you get some real clowns in some of these offices.

Doing a bit of research, though, it would seem his opponent in 2002 was a real non-entity named Shannon O'Brien. He spent 6 million of his own money. And he only won 49-44%.

Well I find this fun, so lets keep going on this. Lets say he wins the republican nomination and is going against Obama. Ill bet that 18% of republicans change their mind and vote for him over Obama. The 27% of dems is a non factor, as he probably wouldn't win too many of them anyways as he is running on a republican ticket, and basically that leaves what all presidential campaigns come down to, the independents. So 19% of independents wouldn't vote for a mormon, how many independents already have their mindset that they wouldn't vote for Obama? If its over 19%, hes in the lead.
In the end I think that voters SAY a lot of things, but don't really act on them. To get a more accurate picture the pollsters would have to ask A LOT more questions, like asking that 18% that said they wouldn't vote for him "would you rather vote for a republican mormon, or Obama" and Ill bet many of them change their minds.

Good for him. He should emphasize this :razz: I don't think it will go down good w/ the minutemen & T-Party voters though :( :lol:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...XVI_story.html

If he wants to play himself up as a quasi-mexican, that's fine. No true Conservative would ever vote for the worthless sack of shit, regardless.

this coming from another worthless sack of shit....:lol:....and your no true Conservative asshole.....your way beyond that.....

It's an issue with other Republicans.

Focus.

Huckabee denigrated his religion.

That's what Conservatives always do..and always will do.

He didn't "denigrate" his religion. He asked a question about their theology that was quite correct.

He asked, "Don't Mormons believe Jesus and Satan were brothers?"

Now, to me, that's like asking if Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny are brothers or not.

But Mormons actually do believe that. It's in their holy writings. They believe God had a choice of sending one of his two sons down from the Planet Kolob to be the messiah, and he picked Jesus over his brother Satan.

Actually, I thought the far more devastating thing Huckabee said about Romney was, "I look like the guy you work with. He looks like the guy who lays you off."

who is to say they were not brothers?......

1885?!

Anyway, are the Tea Party Repubs that racist?

Lets see how often Romney brings up this heritage if, and it looks likely right now, he's the nominee. minutemen & a good deal of T-Partiers are evangelical types. All you got to do is look at that dopey DOMA pledge :cuckoo:

It's an issue with other Republicans.

Focus.

Huckabee denigrated his religion.

That's what Conservatives always do..and always will do.

He didn't "denigrate" his religion. He asked a question about their theology that was quite correct.

He asked, "Don't Mormons believe Jesus and Satan were brothers?"

Now, to me, that's like asking if Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny are brothers or not.

But Mormons actually do believe that. It's in their holy writings. They believe God had a choice of sending one of his two sons down from the Planet Kolob to be the messiah, and he picked Jesus over his brother Satan.

Actually, I thought the far more devastating thing Huckabee said about Romney was, "I look like the guy you work with. He looks like the guy who lays you off."

who is to say they were not brothers?......

To me, they are both mythological characters.

The Bible itself isn't clear on the matter. For instance, the Book of Job reads that the 1:6 Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan came also among them. which would imply God has more than one son and Satan is one of them.

But this contradicts mainstream Christianity, which holds that Jesus was God's only son. Or Part of God. Or something. (This is where the nun would have hit me with a ruler for bringing this up.)

Again, I don't think we want to get into this. I think when Huck and Mitt got into this silliness, is when a lot of sensible Republicans said screw this noise and voted for McCain.

Forum List

Back