Cancer Cluster in TSA Workers?

westwall

WHEN GUNS ARE BANNED ONLY THE RICH WILL HAVE GUNS
Gold Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2010
Nevada
It appears (though the info is still very sketchy) that TSA workers using the new body scanners are developing basal cell sarcoma's at a faster rate then the norm. I discount the claims attributing heart disease et al to the scanners but the cancer cases just may be a warning shot across the bow....

"WASHINGTON, DC (WUSA) --- After wading through documents he secured with a Freedom Of Information Act filing, the Executive Director of the Electronic Privacy Information Center, Marc Rotenberg told 9NEWS NOW, "We think that the Department of Homeland Security has not been forthcoming with the public about the true extent of radiation risk with the airport body scanners."

The release of new documents follows concerns of TSA workers that they are being exposed to dangerous levels of radiation as they conduct the screenings. Union representatives in Boston cite an increase in cancer cases among the TSA workforce there and have asked the agency to allow its members to wear radiation monitoring devices.

"The Department, rather than acting on it, or explaining its position seems to have just dismissed. I don't think that's the way most other agencies would have acted in a similar situation if they were confronted with that question," Rotenberg said.

Asked to respond to the safety concerns, TSA issued the following statement:

"TSA has implemented stringent safety protocols to ensure that technology used at airports to screen people and property is safe for all passengers, as well as the TSA workforce. In addition to regular maintenance, each individual machine that uses X-ray technology is regularly tested to ensure the radiation emitted falls within the national safety standards."

Some scientists do not trust the agency's science. In a letter to President Obama's Science Advisor, several University of California professors conclude: "There is still no rigorous, hard, data for the safety of x-ray airport passenger scanners."

The letter maintains the agency relied on tests performed by the machines' manufacturers and says, "Important information has not been provided to the public." They suggest a moratorium on the use of the devices until conclusive science can answer the radiation questions.

Again, the agency says it has science to support its conclusions the machines are safe.

"It's one branch of government that's made the decision to deploy these devices and it's the same branch of government which is evaluating its own program. That's a recipe for a problem," Rotenberg said.

Rotenberg says if a scanning machine revolves around you, or if you are asked to raise your arms to be scanned, it is likely those machines are among those in question."

TSA Workers Fear Radiation Dangers From Scanners | wusa9.com

"It's one branch of government that's made the decision to deploy these devices and it's the same branch of government which is evaluating its own program. That's a recipe for a problem," Rotenberg said.

Bingo. These assholes are claiming there are no health risks...yet none of them are scientists, all they are going off of is what the manufacturer selling them the machines is spewing.

Typical government stupidity.

How do they know it isn't the x-ray machines that your belongings go through?

Those machines have been used for years prior to the full body scan. If they were causing the problem, it would have shown up earlier.

The fact that these cancer numbers have risen in relationship to the timeline of the full scan would indicate that the cause is most likely the new technology.

Bingo. These assholes are claiming there are no health risks...yet none of them are scientists, all they are going off of is what the manufacturer selling them the machines is spewing. Typical government stupidity.
Plus, the person who mandated this, Michael Chertoff now works for the company that makes the microwave fryers that passengers walk through.

Oh goodie. Now will see a bunch of the parasites claim Workers Compensation and Disability Payments on top of their early retirement for life.

Just say no...
:eusa_eh:
TSA Told to Get Public Comment on Body Scanners
Friday, July 15, 2011 WASHINGTON (AP) — The public should have had the chance to raise concerns about full body scanners before the government put them in airports around the country, a federal appeals court said Friday. But now that the machines are there, the government doesn't have to stop using them.
The U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit ordered the Transportation Security Administration to start soliciting comments about the machines, which show an image of a person's naked body.

The Electronic Privacy Information Center, a Washington-based civil liberties group, tried to force the TSA to stop using the machines, arguing that they violated privacy and religious freedom laws as well as the Fourth Amendment, which protects against unreasonable searches

The appeals court did not find that the machines violated the Fourth Amendment and said that, because the scanners have become an essential part of airport security, they can remain in use while the public comments. The government did not say whether it would appeal the ruling.

The TSA screeners who watch travelers as they pass through the machines do not see the naked images. The screeners who see the images work in separate locations and don't see the passengers. Travelers may choose not to go through the scanner, but they then receive an invasive pat-down, which many feel also violates privacy. EPIC said it doesn't object to the scanners being used as a secondary way to screen passengers in some instances.

Source

Last edited:

Those machines have been used for years prior to the full body scan. If they were causing the problem, it would have shown up earlier.

The fact that these cancer numbers have risen in relationship to the timeline of the full scan would indicate that the cause is most likely the new technology.

Or maybe it takes years to cause a cancer cluster?

Cancer Cluster in TSA Workers?

We all must make sacrifices to keep America safe.

Seriously thought have you looked at the apparent obesity, etc and age of the typical TSA workers?

Last edited:

Or maybe it takes years to cause a cancer cluster?

Different cancers grow at different rates, I would hope that those doing the research would have at least dated the tumors and place their start somewhere around the use of the new equipment before making any statements. It would also be interesting to know the exposure to each of their scanners, both full body and luggage, that the affected workers have endured.

I appreciate the good news. Gracias. I hope ALL of those scumbags die.
(Here come the murkins with the "just doing my job sir" nonsense.)

Last edited:
"Oh goodie. Now will see a bunch of the parasites claim Workers Compensation and Disability Payments on top of their early retirement for life."

WELL if I were in their position I would SUE SUE SUE as nobody has a right to ask me to develop cancer because of my job. Take em to the cleaners I support you 100 percent.

Bingo. These assholes are claiming there are no health risks...yet none of them are scientists, all they are going off of is what the manufacturer selling them the machines is spewing. Typical government stupidity.
Plus, the person who mandated this, Michael Chertoff now works for the company that makes the microwave fryers that passengers walk through.

He'll most likely work for the oven makers that supply the FEMA camps too.
Do NOT trust our Government!

I have to wonder, what else is in Boston that could cause this? I don't see TSA workers nationwide mentioned only those in Boston..... Did I miss something? Are these same machines used outside the USA?

Forum List

Back