Canadians, not Mexicans, represent largest number of visa overstays in the U.S., according to DHS

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
Many from Ontario heading over the U.S to work and just figure "I'm royalty, I can do whatever I want".

Canadians, not Mexicans, represent largest number of visa overstays in the U.S., according to Department of Homeland Security

OTTAWA — U.S. President Donald Trump may want to build a wall along the Mexican border, but, in recent years, studies suggest the majority of unauthorized immigrants settling in the U.S. have arrived legally — not by crossing the border unlawfully.

And according to a new U.S. government report, the largest group of people who enter the U.S. legally and then overstay their welcome aren’t coming across the southern border at all. They’re coming from Canada.

Nearly 93,000 Canadians stayed in the U.S. longer than they were permitted in 2017, according to data released Tuesday by the Department of Homeland Security, far more than from any other country. In comparison, Mexico accounted for about 47,000 visa overstays.

The new data, which shows that more than 600,000 travellers overstayed their U.S. visas last year, comes as the U.S. government looks to close gaps that have made it difficult to track visitors and ensure they leave when they’re supposed to.

Research suggests visa overstays are now a larger source of unauthorized immigrants to the U.S. than undocumented border crossings. The Center for Migration Studies found in a 2017 report that overstays had exceeded illegal crossings every year from 2007 to 2014.

Many from Ontario heading over the U.S to work and just figure "I'm royalty, I can do whatever I want".

Canadians, not Mexicans, represent largest number of visa overstays in the U.S., according to Department of Homeland Security

OTTAWA — U.S. President Donald Trump may want to build a wall along the Mexican border, but, in recent years, studies suggest the majority of unauthorized immigrants settling in the U.S. have arrived legally — not by crossing the border unlawfully.

And according to a new U.S. government report, the largest group of people who enter the U.S. legally and then overstay their welcome aren’t coming across the southern border at all. They’re coming from Canada.

Nearly 93,000 Canadians stayed in the U.S. longer than they were permitted in 2017, according to data released Tuesday by the Department of Homeland Security, far more than from any other country. In comparison, Mexico accounted for about 47,000 visa overstays.

The new data, which shows that more than 600,000 travellers overstayed their U.S. visas last year, comes as the U.S. government looks to close gaps that have made it difficult to track visitors and ensure they leave when they’re supposed to.

Research suggests visa overstays are now a larger source of unauthorized immigrants to the U.S. than undocumented border crossings. The Center for Migration Studies found in a 2017 report that overstays had exceeded illegal crossings every year from 2007 to 2014.
We need to take away their children

Just take your jobs back and hold allies to the same free market principles that Americans enjoy. That would solve a great deal.

Just take your jobs back and hold allies to the same free market principles that Americans enjoy. That would solve a great deal.
Can Canadians mow lawns?

Can Canadians mow lawns?

Sure, and we can manufacture your cars (since apparently, some companies would prefer to move these jobs to Canada), make sales calls to major U.S corporations on behalf of another U.S corporations (since apparently, such high paying jobs don't deserve to be done by Americans), we can even dump cheap Chinese steel and aluminum into the U.S with a slight 15% commission and call it "Made in Canada"

On Aug. 7, the Department of Homeland Security announced the release of the FY 2017 Entry/Exit

Overstay Report. The estimated total overstay rates were lower in FY 2017 for F and J nonimmigrants, but

the F, M, and J categories continue to have significantly higher overstay rates than other nonimmigrant

visa categories, supporting the need to address the calculation of unlawful presence for this population.

New Topics

Forum List

Back