Canadians: Do You Have A View On LGen. Romeo Dallaire

NATO AIR

Jun 25, 2004
USS Abraham Lincoln
He was the leader of the doomed UN peacekeeping mission during the Rwandan genocide. After the UN gutted his force to a skeltal level, he and his third world force did their best to save as many lives as possible. He's now a sick war veteran, haunted forever by the deaths of 800,000 people that died on his watch as the int'l community did nothing and ignored his pleas for assistance.

do you have a view on the fellow? i read his book about the whole business "shake hands with the devil" and he seems to be a pretty good guy, an advocate for soldiers and their families. am i missing anything bad or negative about him, or anything good?

Originally posted by NATO AIR
He was the leader of the doomed UN peacekeeping mission during the Rwandan genocide. After the UN gutted his force to a skeltal level, he and his third world force did their best to save as many lives as possible. He's now a sick war veteran, haunted forever by the deaths of 800,000 people that died on his watch as the int'l community did nothing and ignored his pleas for assistance.

do you have a view on the fellow? i read his book about the whole business "shake hands with the devil" and he seems to be a pretty good guy, an advocate for soldiers and their families. am i missing anything bad or negative about him, or anything good?

There has, in the past been negative things said about him, but not anymore. His book settled a lot of desputed facts, and the backlash against him seems to have stopped. I've been waiting for the book to come out in paper back (so don't tell me how it ends hehe j/k). I have seen him interviewed, and share your opinion, he does seem like a decent person - I really feel sorry for him.

I've seen the doc, 'last just man', which is about him, and the events that took place. I feel sorry for the guy, and sick when i think about it.

i had the honor of attending (the only american there) a civic forum in yokohama, involving residents and what they could do to help darfur in conjunction with several large japanese charities and NGO's. lgen. dallaire attended via videoconference along with angelina jolie and a doctor from Johns Hopkins Univ. whose name escapes me.

fascinating event, lgen. dallaire explained how a small group of soldiers could stop the genocide on the ground, while a US/Italian/Brit/almost any other NATO country modified air wing could control the and turn it into a no-fly zone. he answered questions about the tragedy in rwanda and the lessons to be learned from it from japanese citizens thru translators. very eloquent and composed speaker, though he is clearly very distressed about the events in darfur.

jolie's video briefing was short (3-4 minutes) but the woman clearly knows what she's talking about, i came away impressed. the doctor (who is portugese but has been at hopkins for 15 years) also informed and educated in his 10 minutes, but the night was owned by lgen. dallaire and his 20 minutes.

Forum List

Back