Canadians Can't Get Fresh Food?

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
What on earth is going on here? I honestly thought our neighbors to the north were rich in farm produce. Shelves well-stocked with reasonable prices. Now, those living in coastal Labrador don't have fresh food and other goods available?

Hmmmmm. Could it have something to do with the government?

On Monday, Nunatsiavut Marine — a company owned by the Labrador government in northern Labrador — said the crane aboard the MV Astron had broken, meaning that deliveries could not be made to Makkovik and other communities.

Notice the part in bold.

Read more @ Labrador food shortage assailed in coastal communities - Newfoundland & Labrador - CBC News

same question here. i have no idea for these topic.
can anyone explain me about these???

Lomgknife you are making it sound like all of Canada is starving when in reality a couple of very small communities on Labradors coast have been inconvenienced by some logistical problems with the boat that delivers supplies.
Most of the people in these small communities rely on fishing and hunting for their livelihood so i doubt they are going to starve..

Last edited:
What on earth is going on here? I honestly thought our neighbors to the north were rich in farm produce. Shelves well-stocked with reasonable prices. Now, those living in coastal Labrador don't have fresh food and other goods available?

What's the freaking big mystery here? There are plenty of these micro-communities up there in the north, filled with Inuit. They're economic black-holes. No companies can operate these delivery services at a profit and so government has to step in.

If government stopped the transport services then private companies would step in, they'd have to charge exorbitant rates, the citizens would find it horrendously expensive to live in traditional territory, they'd pack up and move south and most of Norther Labrador would be an empty wasteland.

Canada actually favors the presence of these scattered communities up in the North because they serve as unequivocal proof of Canadian sovereignty over the land and the waterways and so they subsidize these people in order to keep them happy enough to stay up there, and that's in addition to whatever rights and subsidies flow from obligations to Inuit and Natives.

We're definitely not talking the NYC-Washington shuttle here which has so much traffic that airlines make nice profits on providing the service.

Notice the part in bold.

Read more @ Labrador food shortage assailed in coastal communities - Newfoundland & Labrador - CBC News

The government? Why yes the Inuit government. It's right in your link.

"On Monday, Nunatsiavut Marine — a company run by the Inuit government in northern Labrador — said the crane aboard the MV Astron had broken, meaning that deliveries could not be made to Makkovik and other communities."

They are autonomous.

Nunatsiavut /nuːˈnɑːtsiəvʉt/ is an autonomous area claimed by the Inuit in Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada.

Lomgknife you are making it sound like all of Canada is starving when in reality a couple of very small communities on Labradors coast have been inconvenienced by some logistical problems with the boat that delivers supplies.
Most of the people in these small communities rely on fishing and hunting for their livelihood so i doubt they are going to starve..

most people in Canada are overweight, just like in the US.

Visit Alaska sometime. Remote areas pose problems most of us take for granted, but of course in the narrow mind and world of the wingnut this has great significance. You guys are too funny.

Notice the part in bold.

The government? Why yes the Inuit government. It's right in your link.

"On Monday, Nunatsiavut Marine — a company run by the Inuit government in northern Labrador — said the crane aboard the MV Astron had broken, meaning that deliveries could not be made to Makkovik and other communities."

They are autonomous.

Nunatsiavut /nuːˈnɑːtsiəvʉt/ is an autonomous area claimed by the Inuit in Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada.

lol... yeah, sure... they're autonomous...

'cept mebbe when things break that they can't fix...

'n they're in danger of starvation as a result...

Forum List

Back