Canadian pig farmer found guilty of 6 murders

Gunny

Gold Member
Dec 27, 2004
The Republic of Texas
NEW WESTMINSTER, British Columbia (AP) -- A pig farmer accused of being Canada's worst serial killer was found guilty Sunday of six counts of second-degree murder, which carries a mandatory sentence of life in prison.

A sketch shows accused serial killer Robert Pickton, left, in court in New Westminster, British Columbia, last month.

The verdict ended the trial of Robert 'Willie' Pickton on the first six of 26 murder charges in the deaths of women, most of them prostitutes and drug addicts from a seedy Vancouver neighborhood.

Pickton, 58, was tried for the killings of Mona Wilson, Sereena Abotsway, Marnie Frey, Brenda Wolfe, Andrea Joesbury and Georgina Papin.

The defense acknowledged that their remains were found on Pickton's farm outside Vancouver, but denied he was responsible for their deaths.

The jury of seven men and five women began its deliberations Friday night. They had the option of finding Pickton guilty of first-degree murder, second-degree murder or manslaughter or not guilty on any of the six counts.

Pickton listened to the verdict with his head bowed. He will receive a mandatory sentence of life in prison and will not be eligible for parole for at least 10 years. The jury was deliberating Sunday whether to extend that 10-year period.

Two jurors, both women, wiped tears from their eyes while the verdict was read.

Prosecutors have said Pickton will be tried for the 20 other murder charges but no date has been set.

Last week, Judge James Williams reviewed the transcript of a videotape in which Pickton is heard telling an undercover police officer that he had planned to kill one more woman before stopping at 50, taking a break and then killing another 25 women.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/americas/12/09/canada.murder.trial.ap/index.html

I can't for the life of me figure out how this equates to 2nd degree murder.:shock:

Me either. I heard a report on radio about it but missed the bit about why the jury found on second degree because I was trying to avoid a pedestrian who was trying to jump in front of my vehicle. I hope they go ahead and try him for the others. I don't know how Canada treats convictions like that, if they allow a judge to pile the sentences one on top of the other.

A little bit of irony. New Westminster, which is where the trial was held is the city where Raymond Burr (aka Perry Mason and Ironside) was born.

I can see why they might think he didn't do it....

Last week, Judge James Williams reviewed the transcript of a videotape in which Pickton is heard telling an undercover police officer that he had planned to kill one more woman before stopping at 50, taking a break and then killing another 25 women.

10 years for a life sentence... why even call it that?

Thank you. No other reason I could think of explained it. But then again, I have no clue what evidence the jury saw. ;o)

True enough, but I focussed on the same sentence RGS did, and quoted. By his own admission, he planned them, and more. Plan = premeditation = 1st degree murder as I understand it.

True enough, but I focussed on the same sentence RGS did, and quoted. By his own admission, he planned them, and more. Plan = premeditation = 1st degree murder as I understand it.

The article said the judge reviewed the transcript of the interview. It didn't say the jury heard it. But, quite honestly, I have no clue what the standard is there for 1st degree murder. So I can't even opine further.

The article said the judge reviewed the transcript of the interview. It didn't say the jury heard it. But, quite honestly, I have no clue what the standard is there for 1st degree murder. So I can't even opine further.

Opine? :shock: Alright Jill, out of the closet ... you're a Bill O'Reilly fan aren't you?:badgrin:

Opine? :shock: Alright Jill, out of the closet ... you're a Bill O'Reilly fan aren't you?:badgrin:

We'll know for sure if she ever uses the words bloviate, pinhead, culture warrior and secular progressive in the same post.

He's on at 11a-1p here.

Not in Canada it would seem. Bodies, confession, threat to kill more? No problem, he didn't REALLY kill anyone important after all.

If memory serves me correctly, there was evidence of others being involved in the murders. That is, it was impossible to prove he drove into town, picked up the girls and killed them all on his own, while others were involved after the fact. In this case, for a first degree murder conviction, the crown would have to prove that the murders were deliberate and planned by the accused, alone. Unfortunatley, there was DNA evidence showing that he might not be the sole perpetrator, meaning that it is possible that the girls were brought there by someone else. He did get 6 10 year sentances. He's old, he'll die in jail.

Me either. I heard a report on radio about it but missed the bit about why the jury found on second degree because I was trying to avoid a pedestrian who was trying to jump in front of my vehicle. I hope they go ahead and try him for the others. I don't know how Canada treats convictions like that, if they allow a judge to pile the sentences one on top of the other.

A little bit of irony. New Westminster, which is where the trial was held is the city where Raymond Burr (aka Perry Mason and Ironside) was born.

A judge can either set a sentence to be served consecutively or concurrently. However, in Canada, the maximum penalty is 25 years to life. The parole boards usually don't let people out, so it's sort of a moot point.

Forum List

Back