Canadian Minister Heading South For Surgery

why isn't the procedure available in Canada? They only have 30 million people to provide for. The US OF KKKA had 350 million and half of Mexico.. What's the matter in Canada?????

What makes you think the procedure isn't available in Canada?

I believe that Dany boy kept getting bumped and decided that he didn't want to wait anymore.

cause you said based on what you read 0.8% of Canadians head to the US for medical procedures usually because the procedure is not available in Canada.. that's sorta where I got the idea.. you did say that didn't yew?

Indeed I did. I should clarify.

Usually, when people go south, it is for advanced treatments. If the treatment isn't yet available, or if it is new and there is a waiting list, the government will pay for treatment in the US. Generally, there is a lag of a few years in Canada for newer treatments available in America. Given that the Premier kept getting bumped, which is what prompted him to come south, the treatment was apparently available but limited.

Last edited:
There's a difference between having the best doctors and hospitals and having the best system.

You know just as well as I do that our system is broken and in need of repair.

u missed the edit ;)

They went the comprehensive route like they said they would during the campaign season.

Their approach shouldn't shock you.

And don't act like the bill wasn't debated. It was.

Really I must have missed the televised coverage of the entire debate obama promised about it....care to prove me wrong with a youtube or other link?!?!

I can prove he promised it....several times....i never got to watch these negotiations. He did them behind closed doors because it is not reform, it is a power grab by the progressives in our government and an attempt to change the shape of our entire government. Why do they do it in private unless the bill is good for the special interests and bad for the people? Why the secrecy?

The truth shall set you free.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBzPS8k7rtQ]YouTube - Obama Lies About Open Debate of Health Bill[/ame]

The US has a population of 280 million+ and is the wealthiest country in the world. If you were not a leader in health care provision and research there really would be a problem. What many of us in other western, democratic, industrialized, wealthy countries (not just Canada) can't understand is your willingness to put up with the excessive cost of your health care: It being at least twice as expensive as any other comparable country's system on a per capita basis and as a proportion of GDP. Among these countries the US is the only country not to provide universal health care for its citizens and it costs, by far, the most. You guys are simply not getting good value for money.
We could almost understand you putting up the excessive cost of your health care if your system delivered the benefits of its expertise to all of your citizens when they were in need, but it does not. The thought of letting one our citizens suffer unnecessarily due to their inability to pay for adequate health care is almost unthinkable to the vast majority of Australians and the citizens of the other countries as described above. That the citizens of the richest country in the world are not prepared to be charitable enough to provide for the health of all its citizens is a sad state of affairs.
Our standard of health care in Australia is not perfect but like similar countries it does deliver a very high standard of care to all citizens. It is true that countries like Australia and Canada cannot always provide certain specialized medical services that may be available in the US, or other countries. It is also true that our medical research facilities often provide cutting edge advances in medical treatments that are not available in the US or other countries. We have a relatively small population of 22 million so our research efforts are proportionally smaller than those of the US. We did manage to be the first country in the world to develop a vaccine for the H1N1 virus and our research facilities were contracted by your government to provide millions of doses of it to your health system. We were also the first country in the world to provide this vaccine to every one of its citizens, free of charge, as soon as it was available.
My hope is that you can have an honest debate about your health care system and develop a plan that will deliver quality medical services to all Americans that doesn't send you broke. America is a great country and great countries are judged not by what they provide for their fortunate, but for what they provide for their least fortunate Good luck.

The US has a population of 280 million+ and is the wealthiest country in the world. If you were not a leader in health care provision and research there really would be a problem. What many of us in other western, democratic, industrialized, wealthy countries (not just Canada) can't understand is your willingness to put up with the excessive cost of your health care: It being at least twice as expensive as any other comparable country's system on a per capita basis and as a proportion of GDP. Among these countries the US is the only country not to provide universal health care for its citizens and it costs, by far, the most. You guys are simply not getting good value for money.
We could almost understand you putting up the excessive cost of your health care if your system delivered the benefits of its expertise to all of your citizens when they were in need, but it does not. The thought of letting one our citizens suffer unnecessarily due to their inability to pay for adequate health care is almost unthinkable to the vast majority of Australians and the citizens of the other countries as described above. That the citizens of the richest country in the world are not prepared to be charitable enough to provide for the health of all its citizens is a sad state of affairs.
Our standard of health care in Australia is not perfect but like similar countries it does deliver a very high standard of care to all citizens. It is true that countries like Australia and Canada cannot always provide certain specialized medical services that may be available in the US, or other countries. It is also true that our medical research facilities often provide cutting edge advances in medical treatments that are not available in the US or other countries. We have a relatively small population of 22 million so our research efforts are proportionally smaller than those of the US. We did manage to be the first country in the world to develop a vaccine for the H1N1 virus and our research facilities were contracted by your government to provide millions of doses of it to your health system. We were also the first country in the world to provide this vaccine to every one of its citizens, free of charge, as soon as it was available.
My hope is that you can have an honest debate about your health care system and develop a plan that will deliver quality medical services to all Americans that doesn't send you broke. America is a great country and great countries are judged not by what they provide for their fortunate, but for what they provide for their least fortunate Good luck.

i dont want the government to run my health care. Maybe your government is good and trustworthy but our government is filled with self-serving scumbags that can't and shouldn't be trusted with something as large and important as health care.

Like I say all the time....start with small targeted legislation. Pre-Existing Condition protection, tort reform, opening of competition through interstate insurance sales, ect ect.

Each individual issue should be debated on its merits and the legislation written for it available to the public for review before passage.

One big comprehensive bill will not work as it will inherantly be filled with kickbacks, "pork", and corruption. We have already seen this with our current attempt at a comprehensive bill.

Thanks for your observations...they are true. I wouldn't mind emigrating to Australia but they wouldn't take us as we are over 40. Ours is the only country in the world that takes in so many unskilled laborers to compete with our own citizens for wages and healthcare.
Our country USED to be the best in the world, it's not anymore and many of it's citizens have forgotten the entire meaning of our country.

He is wealthy and can afford what most Americans can't, a 50 thousand dollar expense. That the wingnuts use this as an argument to prevent helping all Americans is just plain crap. Most Americans couldn't afford what this man is doing, going to a doctor who he considered best for what ails him. As soon as we can provide same to all we can rest easy.

"Since then, Mr. Williams – a Rhodes scholar and wealthy lawyer who made millions in cable television – has won two provincial elections and his popularity with the electorate of Newfoundland and Labrador, always high, has been said lately to ride at the 80 per cent mark."

Williams travels to U.S. for heart surgery - The Globe and Mail

He is wealthy and can afford what most Americans can't, a 50 thousand dollar expense. That the wingnuts use this as an argument to prevent helping all Americans is just plain crap. Most Americans couldn't afford what this man is doing, going to a doctor who he considered best for what ails him. As soon as we can provide same to all we can rest easy.

"Since then, Mr. Williams – a Rhodes scholar and wealthy lawyer who made millions in cable television – has won two provincial elections and his popularity with the electorate of Newfoundland and Labrador, always high, has been said lately to ride at the 80 per cent mark."

Really? Most Americans can't afford the 'best doctors'? My nephew at 24 was diagnosed with benign brain tumor. Good that it wasn't cancer, bad that it had grown to a size that would have killed him if left untreated. Indeed, the first hospital said, 'too late.' Northwestern Medical said that, 'maybe Loyola could try surgery.' NW wouldn't let him be driven, sent him to Loyola via ambulance, he was operated on 30 hours later. It recurred a year later, one more surgery at Loyola in June, to Mayo Hospital in November for 4 weeks of intensive radiation. He's doing quite well, has a baby due in April, conceived with sperm frozen prior to radiation.

I don't think he'd be here today without our system or health care and insurance. Damn certain he wouldn't have been diagnosed and operated in within 2 days in Canadian system, which is why the minister is shelling out the $50k he does have.

I don't think he'd be here today without our system or health care and insurance. Damn certain he wouldn't have been diagnosed and operated in within 2 days in Canadian system, which is why the minister is shelling out the $50k he does have.

He probably would have. For life-threatening or potentially life-threatening conditions, you are operated on ASAP. People have timely coronary bypasses, oncology treatments, etc., as a matter of due course.

The problem in the Canadian system is, for the most part, that conditions considered elective and non-life threatening can be delayed.

He probably would have. For life-threatening or potentially life-threatening conditions, you are operated on ASAP. People have timely coronary bypasses, oncology treatments, etc., as a matter of due course.

The problem in the Canadian system is, for the most part, that conditions considered elective and non-life threatening can be delayed.

I'll assume you know your system. There was a girl at Mayo from Canada with same problem as my nephew. She's also had the surgeries there, family had to put up their home to pay for.

I'll assume you know your system. There was a girl at Mayo from Canada with same problem as my nephew. She's also had the surgeries there, family had to put up their home to pay for.

As I said earlier in this thread, the reason why Canadians usually come south is for new and advanced treatments. There is usually a time lag for new treatments in Canada that are not available until a few years after they are available in the US. I obviously cannot speak to the specific situation to that girl, but that may be why she came down.

Last edited:

Really? Most Americans can't afford the 'best doctors'? My nephew at 24 was diagnosed with benign brain tumor. Good that it wasn't cancer, bad that it had grown to a size that would have killed him if left untreated. Indeed, the first hospital said, 'too late.' Northwestern Medical said that, 'maybe Loyola could try surgery.' NW wouldn't let him be driven, sent him to Loyola via ambulance, he was operated on 30 hours later. It recurred a year later, one more surgery at Loyola in June, to Mayo Hospital in November for 4 weeks of intensive radiation. He's doing quite well, has a baby due in April, conceived with sperm frozen prior to radiation.

I suppose you nephew had insurance....if he didn't the story may have ended quite differently. Heck my mother in law had insurance and her story ended quite differently, so did my moms. My mom was taken to the emergency room no less than 5 times before they finally admitted her. By the time they did, she was diagnosed with lung cancer. She was given 3 months and died 10 days later. She'd been in a lot of pain for a long time but because her doctor had left the business even though she had 3 insurance companies she couldn't find a doctor where she lives to see her. She'd gone for more than a year without a doctor when I found out and got her into my family doctor but by then it was too late, and that's with no less than 3 insurance companies.

You really think this is the best in the world. We have a disabled man living with us. His teeth are bad. $900 for a crown which medicaid won't pay for and $300 for a build up which medicaid won't pay for. We tried calling charities, none of them returned our call. We ended up paying for the temp ourselves with his rent money for last month. He is making payments on the permanent and they will let him also make payments on the build up. Thank God for this dentist that took him when so many others wouldn't.

And before you talk about pulling his tooth, thanks to medicaid 3 of his teeth have already been pulled and he's only 25.

Take a look at the series on Adult Family Homes in the Seattle Times and tell me again how our medical care is the best.

I suppose you nephew had insurance....if he didn't the story may have ended quite differently. Heck my mother in law had insurance and her story ended quite differently, so did my moms. My mom was taken to the emergency room no less than 5 times before they finally admitted her. By the time they did, she was diagnosed with lung cancer. She was given 3 months and died 10 days later. She'd been in a lot of pain for a long time but because her doctor had left the business even though she had 3 insurance companies she couldn't find a doctor where she lives to see her. She'd gone for more than a year without a doctor when I found out and got her into my family doctor but by then it was too late, and that's with no less than 3 insurance companies.

You really think this is the best in the world. We have a disabled man living with us. His teeth are bad. $900 for a crown which medicaid won't pay for and $300 for a build up which medicaid won't pay for. We tried calling charities, none of them returned our call. We ended up paying for the temp ourselves with his rent money for last month. He is making payments on the permanent and they will let him also make payments on the build up. Thank God for this dentist that took him when so many others wouldn't.

And before you talk about pulling his tooth, thanks to medicaid 3 of his teeth have already been pulled and he's only 25.

Take a look at the series on Adult Family Homes in the Seattle Times and tell me again how our medical care is the best.
Best? I don't know about that, I do know I didn't use that superlative. OTOH, most do have insurance, they do not want less care and do not want to wait forever to get it. They want what they have or better-not the spreading of the pain.

Now if you want to talk reform, talk. How about everyone pay for their yearly or bi-annual cleanings at the dentist? Pay for routine check ups at doctor? Pay at least $50 co-pay for any visits?

Make insurance portable and not able to deny coverage on pre-existing conditions? Institute tort reform? Make insurance level and able to be sold across state lines? Then address those without insurance and wanting it.

He maybe having surgery in the US, but the Canadian gov't is paying for it.
Tell me a country that isn't a third world country that doesn't have a form public funded health insurance.

If Canadian Health Care is so GREAT why is he in the US? Don't you people keep telling us Canada is better then the US health Care wise? After all aren't we way down at 39 on the list?

We have public health care it is called medicare and it is going broke. They keep cutting back on what is covered.

Our present Health Care System cost 17.3% of the GDP in 2009. Japan's costs a bit over 8% and covers all citizens. What percentage of the GDP of Canada does their health care system cost?

And where is that extra money here going? Not back into the Health Care System. It is going into profits. Profits that state that those not affording health care should just die in the emergency room.

Are we down to # 39 now? Probably.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVgOl3cETb4]YouTube - "We're Number 37" - Paul Hipp[/ame]

Well over 50% of those going bankrupt in the US because of medical bills have insurance. And the number going bankrupt has risen in this "recession" to about 1 million.

Only in America.

Needs 'non-routine surgery', so where does he go? US.

http://www.cbc.c/canada/newfoundland-labrador/story/2010/02/01/nl-williams-heart-201.html

Newfoundland and Labrador Premier Danny Williams is set to undergo heart surgery this week in the United States.

CBC News confirmed Monday that Williams, 59, left the province earlier in the day and will have surgery later in the week.

The premier's office provided few details, beyond confirming that he would have heart surgery and saying that it was not necessarily a routine procedure...

The link doesn't work, but your point is going to lose it's punch if he is going to Mayo.

Nothing is preventing 'all Americans' from helping THEMSELVES.. which is the point in a society based on freedom and liberty....

You want your personal needs taken care of by others or the state, you become a ward of the state.. losing the freedoms others enjoy, like others who are committed.... and you certainly do not do something like voting, to continue using government to take from others for your personal responsibilities

Tell me a country that isn't a third world country that doesn't have a form public funded health insurance.

If Canadian Health Care is so GREAT why is he in the US? Don't you people keep telling us Canada is better then the US health Care wise? After all aren't we way down at 39 on the list?

We have public health care it is called medicare and it is going broke. They keep cutting back on what is covered.

Better system overall doesn't mean best individual parts of system.
Saying that this guy coming to the US to get treatment means American care is better than Canadian care is like saying India has a higher standard of living than Canada because they have more billionaires.

Bottom line, the indigent in US do have access to health care and we all have access to the care the Canadian minister is coming south for. The Obama care plan is an attempt to allow 90% of us to have less health care, so the 10% are 'equal'. To think that's not socialism is just delusional.

How is the provision of health insurance reducing your level of health care? It's not.
Also, the idea that the indigent have just as much access as anyone else is laughable.

Forum List

Back