Canadian Customs In Action

rtwngAvngr said:
No they are not. You are still free to do as you please while being monitored. You can still shoot up, masturbate, sue fast food companies, villainize wal-mart, demonize republicans, whine about the succes of others, inflame envy, sew division, etc.. knock yourself out. You are still free.

The patriot act allows your gov't the right to invade your privcy. A invasion of your personal rights. It goes into your home and watches you shoot up, masterbate and knbock yourself out. Our speech laws keep you from publicly advocating hate and violence. They are different in that respect, but the same as they take some of your rights away.

Well, the USA Patriot Act, for one thing. Although it passed in Congress almost without dissent in the aftermath of Sept. 11, it's suddenly being revisited, and this time around some of the folks holding opinions have actually read the thing. Among its detractors are 152 communities, including several major cities and three states, that have now passed resolutions denouncing the Patriot Act as an assault on civil liberties. More than one member of Congress has introduced legislation taking the teeth out of its most invasive provisions. And in a huge shock to the Justice Department, in July the so-called "Otter Amendment"—which de-funded the act's "sneak-and-peek" provision—passed in the House by a vote of 309-118. Introduced by a conservative Republican congressman from Idaho, C.L. "Butch" Otter, the amendment revealed the extent to which the Patriot Act engenders jitters across the political spectrum. Then there are the lawsuits, including one filed recently by the ACLU, urging the court to invalidate provisions of the act that threaten privacy or due process. All these reforms are wending their way through the system and the national consciousness as Americans start to take a sober second look at what the act really unleashed.

http://slate.msn.com/id/2087984/

rtwngAvngr said:
No they are not. You are still free to do as you please while being monitored. You can still shoot up, masturbate, sue fast food companies, villainize wal-mart, demonize republicans, whine about the succes of others, inflame envy, sew division, etc.. knock yourself out. You are still free.

You hate say you hate jews, you don't like blacks, whites smell, asians control the media to your hearts content in Canada. Racists cannot advocate displacement, mistreament or or violence to them in a private or public forum. How is that not free?

The basic principle: If the Government can take away your right to say something, anything, then what is to stop them from potentially taking away the right to say other things? What happens when someone decides a priest in church who says "homosexuality is a sin" is inciting hatred? What happens if a muslim says that a guy who says "Jihadist muslims are evil" is inciting hatred? I am not familiar with Canadian law. Where is the line drawn?

MrMarbles said:
The patriot act allows your gov't the right to invade your privcy. A invasion of your personal rights. It goes into your home and watches you shoot up, masterbate and knbock yourself out. Our speech laws keep you from publicly advocating hate and violence. They are different in that respect, but the same as they take some of your rights away.

http://slate.msn.com/id/2087984/

Oh, and actually read the Patriot Act, please. No G-man can just watch you because he feels like it. No one has had their rights taken away by the Patriot Act, except local terror cells of course.

theim said:
I am not familiar with Canadian law. Where is the line drawn?

Honestly, I don't really know. This guy was fingered because he is a Zendle supporter, although I didn't find the material confiscated that questionable, I think they're making an example of him.

Are there absolutely no hate laws in the US at all?

theim said:
Oh, and actually read the Patriot Act, please. No G-man can just watch you because he feels like it. No one has had their rights taken away by the Patriot Act, except local terror cells of course.

But they could, and how will you know? The Patriot Act protects them. They are allowed to watch you without anyone knowing. What is there to stop them from going further?

Said1 said:
Honestly, I don't really know. This guy was fingered because he is a Zendle supporter, although I didn't find the material confiscated that questionable, I think they're making an example of him.

Actually...no, at least not to my knowledge. Not on the federal level anyway. I think some states have passed Hate Crime legislation, which adds penalties onto a sentence if your motivation was to attack someone because of their race. But these are controversial because many percieve the motivation element as a type of "thoughtcrime".

MrMarbles said:
But they could, and how will you know? The Patriot Act protects them. They are allowed to watch you without anyone knowing. What is there to stop them from going further?

just read it.

Said1 said:

In Canada, the line is drawn when it comes to advocating violence to, removal of rights or diplacement of a segment of the population. To clear things up, here is the law:

http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/c-46/41491.html

Isaac Brock said:
You hate say you hate jews, you don't like blacks, whites smell, asians control the media to your hearts content in Canada. Racists cannot advocate displacement, mistreament or or violence to them in a private or public forum. How is that not free?

What is mistreatment? That is so vague. Is suggesting their faith is intolerant towards women "mistreatment"? I bet they think so.

rtwngAvngr said:
What is mistreatment? That is so vague. Is suggesting their faith is intolerant towards women "mistreatment"? I bet they think so.

I suggest you read the law. It is more specific than I can be.

Said1 said:
I know. Did you look at the book under question.

I have not read it and to be fair, I've heard a WJ sorta book, but I cannot say that it is a violent WJ book.

Isaac Brock said:
I suggest you read the law. It is more specific than I can be.

I'm only asking about this one scenario: would it be hate speech to say Sharia islam is sexist against women? Can't you tell me?

rtwngAvngr said:
I'm only asking about this one scenario: would it be hate speech to say Sharia islam is sexist against women? Can't you tell me?

It wouldn't.

rtwngAvngr said:

That's a pretty safe question. It's socially acceptable to say anything is sexist against women, regardless of what it is. You can do better than that.

Said1 said:
That's a pretty safe question. It's socially acceptable to say anything is sexist against women, regardless of what it is. You can do better than that.

I know. That question came to mind because it seems i heard something about someone being prosecuted in europe for hate speech for doing something similar. Is that vague enough?

rtwngAvngr said:
I know. That question came to mind because it seems i heard something about someone being prosecuted in europe for hate speech for doing something similar. Is that vague enough?

Passing out fliers that describe how sexist Sharia law is towards women is probably ok too.

Although I wouldn't question the relavence of equal opportunity employment, that may land you in jail. :huh:

Forum List

Back