Canadian city proclaims that December is the Christmas season

HorhayAtAMD

Nov 27, 2004
Canada, eh!
Oxford makes Christmas the season
The town of Oxford is making sure no other word but "Christmas" is used to describe the holiday season within town limits.

The town council unanimously passed a motion on Monday proclaiming that the entire month of December should be referred to as the "Christmas season," because the holiday originated from the birth of Jesus Christ.

Deputy Mayor Leonard Allen says there was no one incident that prompted his motion, only that he believes the word "Christmas" seems to be disappearing.

"I think we live in a free county where we have the right to celebrate things the way as they are, and I don't see the need to change the name to 'holiday season' or 'mid-winter break' to make it politically correct," he said.

The proclamation is not a bylaw, so no one can be charged for calling the season something other than "Christmas."

Allen says he only wants "Christmas to be Christmas," and that non-Christians still have the right to celebrate their religion.

Although he expects there are people who disagree with him, Allen says he has heard from many supporters and even some towns that want to follow Oxford's lead.
Link

Even though this is general USA chat, I thought this story was relevant to the Happy Holidays vs Merry Christmas post.

So, what do you think of this? Does this come close to the government legislating what religions are okay and which ones aren't? If it is my choice, why should I be discouraged from having a "Happy Hannuka" sign in my Jewish store?

The two sentences that struck me were:
The town of Oxford is making sure no other word but "Christmas" is used to describe the holiday season within town limits.
and
I think we live in a free county
Doesn't it seem odd to anyone that they are restricting the words that can be used to describe December because they believe that we live in a free country? Since when does restricting what you can say suggest that you live in a free country?

In the end, I think it would be best for the majority to choose to call the entire month of December the Christmas Season while allowing the minority to call it whatever they want, rather than having it legislated that everyone must use one term.

I would be remiss if I didn't include the Jewish response.
Link

Coming from a Jew who has celebrated Christmas every year with his friends/girlfriends/wife's families, this is the part I most agree with:
"As I've said a number of times, we have no objections to the celebration of Christmas," Goldberg said. "I'm shocked that they felt, as Christians, that they had to use the power of legislation to celebrate such a wonderful holiday.

HorhayAtAMD said:
Link

Even though this is general USA chat, I thought this story was relevant to the Happy Holidays vs Merry Christmas post.

So, what do you think of this? Does this come close to the government legislating what religions are okay and which ones aren't? If it is my choice, why should I be discouraged from having a "Happy Hannuka" sign in my Jewish store?

The two sentences that struck me were:
and
I think we live in a free county
Doesn't it seem odd to anyone that they are restricting the words that can be used to describe December because they believe that we live in a free country? Since when does restricting what you can say suggest that you live in a free country?

In the end, I think it would be best for the majority to choose to call the entire month of December the Christmas Season while allowing the minority to call it whatever they want, rather than having it legislated that everyone must use one term.

Horhay, this is Oxford Nova Scotia, population 1300. If you can find one Jewish person within 100 klics of that place, I'd be amazed. :happy2:

Said1 said:
Horhay, this is Oxford Nova Scotia, population 1300. If you can find one Jewish person within 100 klics of that place, I'd be amazed. :happy2:
I didn't say it would be a successful Jewish store. ;)

The Charter of Rights and Freedoms allows Canadians to practice the religion of their choice, but Goldberg said he was concerned Oxford's motion "could be misconstrued as a diminution of such freedoms."

Even the jewish activist admits that thinking this is some for of persecution is a misunderstanding. So why is he even emitting the hot air. Global warming man, save an iceberg.

HorhayAtAMD said:
I didn't say it would be a successful Jewish store. ;)

Bbbbwahahahaha, eh?

I understand your point, but had it been say......Forest Lawn :)D) I might wonder what Harper has been putting in the water. :D

rtwngAvngr said:
The Charter of Rights and Freedoms allows Canadians to practice the religion of their choice, but Goldberg said he was concerned Oxford's motion "could be misconstrued as a diminution of such freedoms."

Even the jewish activist admits that thinking this is some for of persecution is a misunderstanding. So why is he even emitting the hot air. Global warming man, save an iceberg.

Bbbut, were also a Christian nation, says so in our constitution.

Religious tolerence doesn't acknowlege the legitimacy of other religions, only the choice to be wrong without persecution.

WTF has Harper been putting in the water?? He better up my dose, I'm still not voting PC.

Forum List

Back