Canadian Board Members - Please Tell Me This Is A Joke

GotZoom

Apr 20, 2005
Cordova, TN
VANCOUVER, British Columbia (Reuters) - Peace activists have revived plans for a sculpture to commemorate Vietnam War draft resisters who fled to Canada, a proposal that had drawn the ire of U.S. veterans groups and conservatives.

The activists, who are also organizing a reunion for "draft dodgers" in July, said Tuesday the proposed monument is still needed to warn Americans and Canadians about the dangers of militarism.

"It is very important educationally that we have specific peace monuments," said Isaac Romano, an American who immigrated to Canada and now lives in British Columbia's Kootenay region where many U.S. war resisters settled.

The plan for a monument in Nelson, British Columbia, was originally announced in 2004, but quickly dropped after it was denounced by the U.S. Veterans of Foreign Wars and conservative media commentators.

Nelson city officials withdrew support for the sculpture to avoid a threatened U.S. boycott of the area's important tourism industry.

Romano said the activists have not decided on a location for the planned sculpture, and welcomed proposals from both Canadian and U.S. communities.

"It could be that there is a group in the States that sees it as an opportunity to remind Americans that they are not locked into the militarism. That there is an escape valve," Romano said.

The proposal calls for a sculpture of two Americans, a male and a female, crossing an imaginary border where a Canadian figure is waiting to welcome them.

It has been estimated that 125,000 draft-age Americans fled to Canada to avoid Vietnam and prosecution under U.S. law, although about half returned home after President Jimmy Carter granted amnesty in 1977.

Organizers of the Our Way Home reunion planned for Castlegar, British Columbia, in July say the event and sculpture are to honor both the Americans who resisted the war and the Canadians who helped them build lives in a new country.

Speakers at the four-day event are expected to include former U.S. Senator George McGovern, who campaigned to get the United States out of Vietnam in his unsuccessful 1972 bid for the White House.

Romano said the event will also provide an opportunity for draft dodgers and Vietnam War veterans to discuss their differences on the decision to go to war.

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsA...ID=182511+15-Feb-2006+RTRS&srch=draft+dodgers

Wolfe said:
its not a joke! But the Vietnam war was not a just cause and the people are speaking.

Actually, they're doing more than just speaking. A monument to those who ran away from the third riech would be more appropriate, wouldn't it?

Wolfe said:
its not a joke! But the Vietnam war was not a just cause and the people are speaking.
Oh really? I suppose you know all about the VietNam war. Mind telling us why it was not a just cause (in your opinion).

CSM said:
Oh really? I suppose you know all about the VietNam war. Mind telling us why it was not a just cause (in your opinion).
I won't pretend that I know all about the Vietnam War. That was not my point. It was the idea of sending soldiers to die in a country that had no implication for the security of the US.

Wolfe said:
This is only political theory and was never proven. Many soldiers died because some leaders engaged in that speculation. I don't agree that the Vietnam War was ever necessary for the reasons put forward. The US just has a bad habit of sticking its nose where it does not belong...like in Iraq.

Well, you're entitled to your wrong opinion.

Wolfe said:
...I don't agree that the Vietnam War was ever necessary for the reasons put forward. The US just has a bad habit of sticking its nose where it does not belong...like in Iraq.

Your opinion....and I disagree with it.

Your original post stated that VietNam was not a just cause. I disagree with that too.

As for the US sticking its nose in where it doesn't belong ("like Iraq") that is also your opinion and i also disagree with that.

You are entitled to your opinion of course, but that does not necessarily mean they are based on facts or that they are correct.

CSM said:
Your opinion....and I disagree with it.

Your original post stated that VietNam was not a just cause. I disagree with that too.

As for the US sticking its nose in where it doesn't belong ("like Iraq") that is also your opinion and i also disagree with that.

You are entitled to your opinion of course, but that does not necessarily mean they are based on facts or that they are correct.

Ok. I my opinion is so wrong how do you explain the protests in the US against the Vietnam War in that era. The validity of this war was seriously in question.

Wolfe said:
I won't pretend that I know all about the Vietnam War. That was not my point. It was the idea of sending soldiers to die in a country that had no implication for the security of the US.

we were cleaning up after the french yet again

Wolfe said:
Ok. I my opinion is so wrong how do you explain the protests in the US against the Vietnam War in that era. The validity of this war was seriously in question.

there wer protests against the civil war, the revolutionary war, war of 1812, wwi, wwii, korea, grenada, panama, vietnam, iraq i, iraq 11, afganistan

how come canada is not still a french colony?

Wolfe said:

There have always been pro communist dumbasses. THere's your explanynation.

rtwngAvngr said:
There have always been pro communist dumbasses. THere's your explanynation.
Does protesting the Vietnam war make them pro communist? I think it was more the idea of dying in a faraway country for little or no cause.

Wolfe said:
Does protesting the Vietnam war make them pro communist? I think it was more the idea of dying in a faraway country for little or no cause.

As said1 astutely put it, yes. It only seems like "no cause" if the spread of communism doesn't bother you.

Forum List

Back