Canada - You Had To Go And Do It Didn't You?

GotZoom

Apr 20, 2005
Cordova, TN
TORONTO — Canada legalized gay marriage Wednesday, becoming the world's fourth nation to grant full legal rights to same-sex couples.

Supreme Court Chief Justice Beverley McLachlin signed the legislation making it law, hours after it was approved by the Senate late Tuesday night despite strong opposition from Conservatives and religious leaders.

The bill grants same-sex couples legal rights equal to those in traditional unions between a man and a woman, something already legal in eight of Canada's 10 provinces and in two of its three territories.

The legislation drafted by Prime Minister Paul Martin's minority Liberal Party government easily passed the Senate, which essentially rubber stamps any bill already passed by the House of Commons, which passed it late last month.

The Netherlands, Belgium and Spain are the only other nations that allow gay marriage nationwide.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,163054,00.html

GotZoom said:
There are already some states here where you can do that.

I guess we beat you there?

Yippee?

I think that can be done here too, with certain genetic testing first.

Now, if my cousin and I were gay......."here comes the lesbian cousin brides". :D

Wow, that's even too much for me. Ick.

Said1 said:
I think that can be done here too, with certain genetic testing first.

Now, if my cousin and I were gay......."here comes the lesbian cousin brides". :D

Wow, that's even too much for me. Ick.

If you hurry you can be the first same sex couple to be divorced in Canada too and maybe you'll be famous !

dilloduck said:
If you hurry you can be the first same sex couple to be divorced in Canada too and maybe you'll be famous !
I remember a story quite a while ago in BC when a married gay couple tried to get a divorce. Unfortunately for them, while the marriage laws in BC had been changed to be a union of two people, the divorce laws only allowed a man and a woman to divorce! Never really heard what happened after that but I thought that was kind of funny. :)

Edit: Oops, guess it was Ontario.
A lesbian couple in Ontario may face problems getting what is believed to be Canada's first same-sex divorce because the law limits divorce to male-female couples.
However, the Divorce Act, which is federal legislation, defines spouses as "either of a man or a woman who are married to each other."
Link

Said1 is too late to be the first though.
Two women who got married in Parksville two years ago have been granted a divorce by a B.C. Supreme Court judge in Nanaimo.
Link

-=d=- said:
darinshrug.gif

:D

Forum List

Back