CDZ Canada to legalise recreational pot:pros and cons

Yes teacher...your wise ways are evident now...but please...tell us about this...poor?

Bullshit..that is an excuse. It is hard to climb out of poverty if you do not prepare and take the steps needed to do so. Poverty as with most positions are quite often the fault of those who exist in it...children excluded of course.

Negative...those are more excuses for laziness and ultimately failure. Please understand when I make THIS assumption but; You MUST be a minority. Probably a Basketball American.

Namaste
No. This America is not like the America our grandparents had. Work hard, and you will be fine. There are people working 40-50 hours a week still being paid poverty wages. The rapid inflation of living costs is nowhere near equal to the gradual rise in wages.
Well...if you say so I cannot convince you otherwise.
You can not. I have extensive experience in the subject and you clearly have no credentials.
Extensive credentials in what? Poverty?
lol, yes.
Well, I come from a poor family as well. We had an ABOVE ground pool growing up. My parents didn't have a gardener until I was 13. These were Mexicans for God's sake. How expensive could they have been? I got a used car for my 16th. It really hurt sometimes. Everyone was driving new Acuras and BMW's and I had a used 4Runner. I know what you have been through man. Oh the stories I have, let me tell you.

i assumed nothing of your race or riches, simply noting your ignorance.
Yes teacher...your wise ways are evident now...but please...tell us about this...poor?

In today society, it is very hard to climb out of poverty.
Bullshit..that is an excuse. It is hard to climb out of poverty if you do not prepare and take the steps needed to do so. Poverty as with most positions are quite often the fault of those who exist in it...children excluded of course.

The excessive costs of living and education make it extremely hard to break out of cycles of generational poverty.
Negative...those are more excuses for laziness and ultimately failure. Please understand when I make THIS assumption but; You MUST be a minority. Probably a Basketball American.

Namaste
That was uncalled for, HH
What? I cant have an opinion?
He is allowed an opinion, no matter how distorted.
I was gently admonishing him. What business is it of mine if such comments discredit him and his possibly valid ideas?
I'll let you in on the big secret ..

shh..

They aren't valid as they come from no background of personal experience. He spews the same bullshit his rich parents spewed to him. He does not know of the subject he speaks, and because of this he does not have anything of substance to say.
No. This America is not like the America our grandparents had. Work hard, and you will be fine. There are people working 40-50 hours a week still being paid poverty wages. The rapid inflation of living costs is nowhere near equal to the gradual rise in wages.
You can not. I have extensive experience in the subject and you clearly have no credentials.
lol, yes.
Well, I come from a poor family as well. We had an ABOVE ground pool growing up. My parents didn't have a gardener until I was 13. These were Mexicans for God's sake. How expensive could they have been? I got a used car for my 16th. It really hurt sometimes. Everyone was driving new Acuras and BMW's and I had a used 4Runner. I know what you have been through man. Oh the stories I have, let me tell you.
Is that a joke?

I'll bite- what a stunning example of white privilege.

lol, yes.
I would have rather had the used 4Runner.

I started out in a Nissan, then an MG, then a Honda, then a Jeep CJ, then a Jeep Cherokee Sport, and I have stayed with Jeeps ever since.

Nothing can beat a 4WD SUV.

Namaste
I was gently admonishing him. What business is it of mine if such comments discredit him and his possibly valid ideas?

shh..

They aren't valid as they come from no background of personal experience. He spews the same bullshit his rich parents spewed to him. He does not know of the subject he speaks, and because of this he does not have anything of substance to say.
lol, yes.
Is that a joke?

That was a joke, surely a joke?!?!

Is that a joke?

Excuse me? I have shared my experience with you and you call it White Privilege? Did you not read what I posted? There was no privilege in my life. We struggled! Do you have any idea what it is like to have your friends come over for a sleepover and there is no nanny to read their bedtime story?
No, we had mother...she read our bedtime stories. MY MOTHER! With her thick accent...mumbling through Thomas the Train.
Do you know what it is like to be read to by a half drunk, chain smoking Hungarian?
"Dahhling...dis trrrain story is absuuurd dahling...hahaha...vaht shit"
Abuse Aries...I struggled.

shh..

lol, yes.
Is that a joke?

But to ties this all together.. the illegality of pot represents one of the many societal challenges faced by the "hood." Studies have found that minorities are far more likely to be arrested for and charged for Marijuana related crimes.... BUT that minorities and whites use Marijuana at the same rate. Then when charged minorities receive harsher punishments for said pot crime. This is where we bring in the comments like, "omg I'm sick of pothead getting longer sentences than rapists"... these laws are literally ruining peoples lives, families, communities. Over a harmless plant we can make a financial killing off of.
Legalizing pot means that thousands of other wise law abiding pot heads won't be arrested, won't be sent through the system, won't be locked up, won't lose their voting rights, won't be labeled a felon...

Last edited:

shh..

lol, yes.
Is that a joke?

But to ties this all together.. the illegality of pot represents one of the many societal challenges faced by the "hood." Studies have found that minorities are far more likely to be arrested for and charged for Marijuana related crimes.... BUT that minorities and whites use Marijuana at the same rate. Then when charged minorities receive harsher punishments for said pot crime. This is where we bring in the comments about "omg I'm sick of pothead getting longer sentences than rapists"... these laws are literally ruining peoples lives, families communities. Over a harmless plant we can make a financial killing off of.
Legalizing pot means that thousands of other wise law abiding pot heads won't be arrested, won't be sent through the system, won't be locked up, won't lose their voting rights, won't be labeled a felon...
This has already been observed in Colorado.

Is that a joke?

Excuse me? I have shared my experience with you and you call it White Privilege? Did you not read what I posted? There was no privilege in my life. We struggled! Do you have any idea what it is like to have your friends come over for a sleepover and there is no nanny to read their bedtime story?
No, we had mother...she read our bedtime stories. MY MOTHER! With her thick accent...mumbling through Thomas the Train.
Do you know what it is like to be read to by a half drunk, chain smoking Hungarian?
"Dahhling...dis trrrain story is absuuurd dahling...hahaha...vaht shit"
Abuse Aries...I struggled.
:boohoo::boohoo::boohoo:

Studies have found that minorities are far more likely to be arrested for and charged for Marijuana related crimes
Studies also show that minorities...primarily blacks consume much more Marijuana per capita than any other group.

BUT that minorities and whites use Marijuana at the same rate.
Errrr..wrong.
"for example, blacks use marijuana at a rate that is again 23 percent higher than whites."
Why Do People Keep Claiming All Races Use Drugs at the Same Rate?

Then when charged minorities receive harsher punishments for said pot crime.
This does not account for previous convictions. Or the specific conditions surrounding a case.

Studies have found that minorities are far more likely to be arrested for and charged for Marijuana related crimes
Studies also show that minorities...primarily blacks consume much more Marijuana per capita than any other group.

Errrr..wrong.
"for example, blacks use marijuana at a rate that is again 23 percent higher than whites."

This does not account for previous convictions. Or the specific conditions surrounding a case.
Marijuana Prohibition Was Racist From The Start. Not Much Has Changed. | The Huffington Post

I started out in a Nissan
I have owned a Maxima and a 370Z...loved both.
MG's are just cool. I like your taste!
The Jap cars are much more reliable -- although lately they have also been having Detroit issues.

The British cars are oil cans and the engines leak.

BMW's are great if you can afford one.

Benz are great too and last forever.

I prefer the Jeep 4WD's overall however.
Yes, I have heard this about British vehicles. That and their electrical systems are not very reliable. I do not know I have never owned a British vehicle.
BMW's, I am not a fan of. Many of my friends have owned them and have had issues. When they run they are fantastic machines but they're such a tightly wound, highly engineered motor that they tend to give a bit much for my taste.
My Mrs. wants a Mini-Cooper. They have a BMW power train which makes me a bit nervous. I have relented and will purchase but this makes me a bit wary. Even if she drives like an old woman on Thorazine.
As for American I think I am convinced that I want a ZL1 Camaro. I will be lampooned endlessly by everyone but I really want one. What an amazing bit of muscle. A colleague purchased a Camaro last year and it is quite impressive. He bought the track ready Z version? $70K for a car with no air condition? No.

Errrr..wrong.

Marijuana Prohibition Was Racist From The Start. Not Much Has Changed. | The Huffington Post
mmm..yes.

Errrr..wrong.

It isn't such a clear case. There are these figures
The black/white marijuana arrest gap, in nine charts

Errrr..wrong.

mmm..yes.
If you don't know that the main reason why marijuana is still illegal isn't that the private prison system makes an absurd amount of money criminalizing minorities over pot, you don't know much.

Errrr..wrong.

mmm..yes.
If you don't know that the main reason why marijuana is still illegal isn't that the private prison system makes an absurd amount of money criminalizing minorities over pot, you don't know much.
I thought it was so that DuPont could enslave us in a world of polyester? Not correct?

Errrr..wrong.

mmm..yes.
I thought it was so that DuPont could enslave us in a world of polyester? Not correct?
You haven't figured in the chemtrails to your calculations, and the lizard people, but otherwise you are cooking with gas, my friend

Errrr..wrong.

mmm..yes.
You haven't figured in the chemtrails to your calculations, and the lizard people, but otherwise you are cooking with gas, my friend
I Thought the Lizard People only used DMT?

Justin Trudeau launching plan to legalise marijuana in Canada

legislation is being presented in Canada to legalise the recreational use of marijuana. It's a controversial topic, as there are many moving parts to this issue.

On one hand, the war on drugs has been an abysmal failure, and an expensive one, at that. Enforcement of this so called war has fallen mostly on minority shoulders, even though non minorities are statistically more likely to be cannabis users.

On the other hand, is it correct to just surrender to the issue of drug abuse, merely because it seems to be unenforceable with the tools we currently have at hand?

This is a major step to take, and the consequences may be far-ranging. Any ideas from states that have already started this process, and can offer some advice?
I'm apprehensive about responding to the OP above for seeing loaded language like "surrender to the issue of drug abuse" does not suggest the OP actually wants, as stipulated in the thread title, a factually dispassionate discussion of pros and cons. Instead, it intimates that s/he has an axe to grind, for the pros and cons, along with comparisons and descriptions of various jurisdictions' policy and legalization terms, are widely available from myriad sources on the Internet.
Any ideas from states that have already started this process, and can offer some advice?
The specific ideas I would share can be found in or inferred from the linked content above, and I have nothing new or different to add to that content that directly addresses the matter of cannabis legalization, its incidence and impacts.

Overall, I favor legalizing marijuana use and possession, or at least decriminalizing it. [1] I have a concern about marijuana's "gateway effect," but I also don't cotton to the principle of protecting individuals (adults) from themselves, so I weigh that concern as very low among the reasons for not legalizing/decriminalizing cannabis. I might assign greater weight to the concern and its consequences were cannabis as addictive as is nicotine [2], but it is not. Moreover, it's not clear to me that, and the extent that, the "gateway effect" of cannabis derives from its being "forbidden fruit." [3]

What strikes me as "special" about Canada and its legalization of cannabis, thus what I suspect gives rise to the somewhat vocal concerns and discussion of Canada's stance on the matter, is that among nations that (would) grant legal status to cannabis, or that have a laissez faire approach (in law and in law enforcement) to it and its users, Canada abuts the U.S., and travel by "typical Americans" between the two countries is relatively frequent and common. In contrast, not many "typical Americans" go to, or go often to, Spain, Iran or Uruguay, or the Netherlands, where "Mary Jane" is legally obtainable for recreational purposes by non-citizens in some jurisdictions and not in others.

Note:
  1. I think the distinction between "legal" and "decriminalized" substances, objects and behaviors is absurd, but nobody solicited me in the fabrication and "socialization" of that distinction, so it exists widely enough that it is "a thing" now, and I therefore acquiesce to the accepted distinction.
  2. Linked table is part of this study: Comparative risk assessment of alcohol, tobacco, cannabis and other illicit drugs using the margin of exposure approach
  3. Thinking back to my youth, my peers who were inclined to drink a lot and later, when they could legally buy booze, did drink a lot, were the kids whose parents made a big deal about their kids not drinking alcohol. My own parents never locked or stored the hootch away from my reach or sight and routinely allowed me a sip or two of it when they were drinking it and at "special occasion" dinners.

didn't, at the time, care much for the taste of most alcoholic beverages I encountered, especially beer, so it wasn't a big deal for me to not drink much of it later in my life. (The very sweet wine served at church with communion was okay, but that isn't what my parents had at home.) It took only one college instance of my over imbibing, thus progressing from "buzzed" to "wasted," for me to know I was not ever going to let that happen again, for I didn't enjoy it. In fact, I thought, "why do people actually do this on purpose."

Last edited:

Forum List

Back