CDZ Canada to legalise recreational pot:pros and cons

Your points TNHarley are valid.

I also harken back to States' Rights and the notion of local government as more responsive than distant larger government.

The issue of drug use and drug addiction goes back to the late 1800's and early 1900's historically in the USA. There was widespread alcoholism and dope addiction back then of the order of 90%. Frontline or American Experience did a documentary program on this.

The Feds stepped in to try and curb it with their "schedule of controlled substances". Pot got onto that list somehow.

Pot is mild enough that it probably should not be prohibited. Like alcohol it is mostly recreational and party medicinal.

Alcohol prohibition obviously did not work.

Pot prohibition is probably getting old too.

If we allow cocaine as well then it will only open the floodgates of addiction that prevailed back in the late 1800's and early 1900's and then we will be back to square #1 in that cycle.
Pot got on the list due to bad science, propaganda, and racism. With modern science, it is laughable that marijuana is still illegal. We have clearly proven it is not as harmful as once portrayed, has amazing medical benefits, and its tax revenues could literally turn this country around.
racism?

On one hand, the war on drugs has been an abysmal failure, and an expensive one, at that. Enforcement of this so called war has fallen mostly on minority shoulders, even though non minorities are statistically more likely to be cannabis users.

It's just a fact hood rats are more violent and kill people over money, or tennis shoes, or just for fun, so you'll just have to accept reality as it is.

On the other hand, is it correct to just surrender to the issue of drug abuse, merely because it seems to be unenforceable with the tools we currently have at hand?

The 'libertoons' are always telling us stuff like 'legalizing it will reduce crime n stuff', but it's doubtful, and for some reason they think it's not the same as just legalizing rape, robbery, murder, and the like, even though legalizing all that would certainly reduce crime if it were legalized, too.
If the black market diminished, why wouldn't crime go down?
Are criminals out there killing people over black market liquor?
If weed was legal and not taxed to high heaven, what incentive would the cartels have to ship stuff over here?
it also stops the criminalization of thousands of citizens who are otherwise harmless and law abiding. (disproportionately minorities of course)
It always pisses me off how a guy with an ounce of weed gets more prison time than the bankers that purposefully crashed our economy and screwed over thousands and thousands of people..
or how a pothead serves more time than a rapist!

I also harken back to States' Rights and the notion of local government as more responsive than distant larger government.

The issue of drug use and drug addiction goes back to the late 1800's and early 1900's historically in the USA. There was widespread alcoholism and dope addiction back then of the order of 90%. Frontline or American Experience did a documentary program on this.

The Feds stepped in to try and curb it with their "schedule of controlled substances". Pot got onto that list somehow.

Pot is mild enough that it probably should not be prohibited. Like alcohol it is mostly recreational and party medicinal.

If we allow cocaine as well then it will only open the floodgates of addiction that prevailed back in the late 1800's and early 1900's and then we will be back to square #1 in that cycle.
Im with you on it all except the coke part. But that is just my personal experience. I am sure it is different for other people, though. Some people don't have enough will to control themselves.
I had an employee I hired who ended up with a cocaine habit that went out of control.

He was a troublesome employee and he fritted from job to job never staying long at one. Whether the coke did that to him or he would have been like that anyway I cannot say.
Some people are just losers.

Pot got on the list due to bad science, propaganda, and racism. With modern science, it is laughable that marijuana is still illegal. We have clearly proven it is not as harmful as once portrayed, has amazing medical benefits, and its tax revenues could literally turn this country around.
racism?
yes all them mexicans and their mind altering mary jane!

I have been smoking pot for 15 years. Did coke from age 20 to almost 22. Fairly heavily too. Me and my buddy spent around 150-200 bucks a week on it.
Neither one of us are addicted.
I will have my house paid off in 6 years, my newer truck in 3, got one truck paid for, my Harley is paid for, my beautiful family needs nothing and we have a decent life. Actually, we are taking the kids to the beach for their first times next month. And we will take another vacation in the fall.
Maybe I am a rarity, but im not :D

Im with you on it all except the coke part. But that is just my personal experience. I am sure it is different for other people, though. Some people don't have enough will to control themselves.
I had an employee I hired who ended up with a cocaine habit that went out of control.

He was a troublesome employee and he fritted from job to job never staying long at one. Whether the coke did that to him or he would have been like that anyway I cannot say.
Cocaine and marijuana are very different drugs..

I have been smoking pot for 15 years. Did coke from age 20 to almost 22. Fairly heavily too. Me and my buddy spent around 150-200 bucks a week on it.
Neither one of us are addicted.
I will have my house paid off in 6 years, my newer truck in 3, got one truck paid for, my Harley is paid for, my beautiful family needs nothing and we have a decent life. Actually, we are taking the kids to the beach for their first times next month. And we will take another vacation in the fall.
Maybe I am a rarity, but im not :D
you have two trucks and a harley?? Never woulda guessed it (lol)

Indeed. Like I said, some people just don't have will power. I can see people losing themselves to meth or heroine but not coke. ESPECIALLY pot. They have to be very weak individuals IMO.

Justin Trudeau launching plan to legalise marijuana in Canada

legislation is being presented in Canada to legalise the recreational use of marijuana. It's a controversial topic, as there are many moving parts to this issue.

On one hand, the war on drugs has been an abysmal failure, and an expensive one, at that. Enforcement of this so called war has fallen mostly on minority shoulders, even though non minorities are statistically more likely to be cannabis users.

On the other hand, is it correct to just surrender to the issue of drug abuse, merely because it seems to be unenforceable with the tools we currently have at hand?

This is a major step to take, and the consequences may be far-ranging. Any ideas from states that have already started this process, and can offer some advice?
I live between two states that have legalized recreational pot. I both cases, the legislature has passed emergency type laws to delay implementation. Partly this to appease hard-core opponents like the Catholic Church but mostly it is because it has dawned on the politicians that they are starting a multi-million dollar business without dividing up the profits first. Sad

Indeed. Like I said, some people just don't have will power. I can see people losing themselves to meth or heroine but not coke. ESPECIALLY pot. They have to be very weak individuals IMO.
Marijuana does not create the type of addiction other drugs do. Coke can create a nasty addiction.

Marijuana does not create the type of addiction other drugs do. Coke can create a nasty addiction.
But it doesn't for a lot of people. IMO people that lose themselves to coke are very weak.

But it doesn't for a lot of people. IMO people that lose themselves to coke are very weak.
Everyone is different and some people have a more addictive personality than others. I know I have an addictive personality, so I behave accordingly. I have tried several drugs once for the experience, and then never touched them again. For someone like me with an addictive personality, a coke addiction isn't hard to get into.

Last edited:

depends on the person, depends on the coke, depends on the habit.

racism?
Brown coke is one of the main imports from Mexico as well as pot.

racism?
we were talking back in the early 20th century when they made marijuana illegal

racism?
brown coke?

It's just a fact hood rats are more violent and kill people over money, or tennis shoes, or just for fun, so you'll just have to accept reality as it is.

The 'libertoons' are always telling us stuff like 'legalizing it will reduce crime n stuff', but it's doubtful, and for some reason they think it's not the same as just legalizing rape, robbery, murder, and the like, even though legalizing all that would certainly reduce crime if it were legalized, too.
talking about violence in "hood rats" is pointless without addressing the societal challenges the "hood" is up against.

Colorado is a Rocky Mountain state that legalized pot.

The state is making a lot of money on excise taxes on the pot.

The other Rocky Mountain states are not likely to follow in their footsteps however, at least not anytime soon.

The religious environment here (Mormon, Catholic, etc.) does not favor it.
Has there been any impact on crime rates, etc since the legislation?

There have been several big explosions that killed morons trying to make hash, thanks to the big increase in availability of pot. you see, morons will screw up anything, literally anything, so legalizing drug use for idiots is never going to be the Big Giant Positive the Beavises and Buttheads want everybody to believe. You can bet there are even more Stoners Do Science! travesties on the way.
So when oil pipelines have big explosions and damage our environment it's fine because of the large business profits? Just look away like you do for large oil corporations.....

racism?
brown coke?
coke mixed with smokeless gun powder

Forum List

Back