Canada easing medical marijuana laws

Would any of you seriously argue that marijuana should remain illegal as opposed to such known killers as alcohol and tobacco? Have you seen the stats on college kids drinking themselves to death, not to mention the rodtundity of the average football fan's beer belly? Ever heard of anyone smoking themselves to death?

BTW, I read a report about the reactions of some of the patients that are actually enrolled in the program to provide marijuana by perscription. They were quite angry at the quality of the government's product, calling it disgusting and inconsumable and many were demanding a refund.

The government is apparently producing their weed under contract in the deep dark depths of an abandoned mine. I guess they don't want any unwelcome locals trimming their crop.

Funny picture, thanks for posting it.

-Bry

Originally posted by Bry
Would any of you seriously argue that marijuana should remain illegal as opposed to such known killers as alcohol and tobacco? Have you seen the stats on college kids drinking themselves to death, not to mention the rodtundity of the average football fan's beer belly? Ever heard of anyone smoking themselves to death?

BTW, I read a report about the reactions of some of the patients that are actually enrolled in the program to provide marijuana by perscription. They were quite angry at the quality of the government's product, calling it disgusting and inconsumable and many were demanding a refund.

The government is apparently producing their weed under contract in the deep dark depths of an abandoned mine. I guess they don't want any unwelcome locals trimming their crop.

Funny picture, thanks for posting it.

-Bry

I won't argue over the aspects of whether or not is should be totally legalized. I just found it funny that most of those who are complaining or protesting are drug abusers, and not medical patients.

I read the same article as you concerning the quality of the governments dope. Again, druggie speak about how hight it will get them! What should be of concern is whether or not it helps patients deal with their suffering.

That would be hilarious if a "Bill and Ted" duo were to make off with a couple tons of their secret stash!

LOL

Maybe that is the lesson to be taken from this:

Legal Weed Sucks

Protect fat buds and good times!!!
Fight to keep Marijuana illegal!!!

So true! Illegal drugs have always been better quality than those that are regulated.

Damn, you should email that slogan to a few in Canada, I think it's perfect! LOL

I am totally for the legalization of marijuana and hemp products. I think if the tobacco companies were smart, they would be pushing for it too. They would lose some tobacco profits, but they would profit much more on being able to sell the remainder of the MJ plant for manufacturing purposes.

LEGALIZE IT!!!

Originally posted by gop_jeff
I am totally for the legalization of marijuana and hemp products. I think if the tobacco companies were smart, they would be pushing for it too. They would lose some tobacco profits, but they would profit much more on being able to sell the remainder of the MJ plant for manufacturing purposes.

LEGALIZE IT!!!

You crack me up, jeff. Just when I think I got you figured out...

LOL

This is one of the few issues where I stray from the GOP party line... I am a small 'l' libertairian at heart - I believe that the Constitution, above all else, protects individual liberties, both social and economic.

Personally I think the US officials and detractors are making much ado about nothing. If these patients think pot helps there sickness that all the more power too them. In complete honestly, if they grow it themselves (which they can now do), they cause less of a financial impact on our already over-burdenned health care system. It may be a placebo, but who are we to argue it isn't.

Frankly with the whole pot issue i think it's silly. Alchohol is more addictive and causes more social ills than pot beyond the organized crime issues (which could be easily eliminated with legalization). When was the last time you heard of a person breaking out into a pot-smoking rage trashing everything in sight... probably not so frequently.

If people want to sedate themselves and maybe damage their brains, go ahead. I personally doubt if pot is that great of a personal health concern in small infrequent uses although i do not profess to be a medical expert. I say legalize the whole thing and at least eliminate the organized crime angle of the whole thing.

Plus.... ya never know. Canadian tourism could soar. ;)

Personally I think the US officials and detractors are making much ado about nothing. If these patients think pot helps there sickness that all the more power too them. In complete honestly, if they grow it themselves (which they can now do), they cause less of a financial impact on our already over-burdenned health care system. It may be a placebo, but who are we to argue it isn't.

I agree, Isaac. This was posted in an attempt at humor! I think there are obviously much more drug problems within the USA.

Frankly with the whole pot issue i think it's silly. Alchohol is more addictive and causes more social ills than pot beyond the organized crime issues (which could be easily eliminated with legalization). When was the last time you heard of a person breaking out into a pot-smoking rage trashing everything in sight... probably not so frequently.

Agreed again. Take a look at the figures though and look at what the governments make off of drug busts (confiscations, penalties...) They'll make less if they legalize. Drug enforcement, believe it or not, is a big money maker! With that said, I think they would be much better off legalizing and controlling. I believe it would reduce crime and they can pocket a decent amount of change.

If people want to sedate themselves and maybe damage their brains, go ahead. I personally doubt if pot is that great of a personal health concern in small infrequent uses although i do not profess to be a medical expert. I say legalize the whole thing and at least eliminate the organized crime angle of the whole thing.

U say sumthin? i wuz bizzy eatin me a twinkie! :D

Plus.... ya never know. Canadian tourism could soar.

Look at Holland! I honestly don't know the figures, but I'm quite confident a lot of their tourism can be chalked up to their easy access to marijuana and hashish.

I can't say I agree with legalizing marijuana, but I can agree with a decriminilization. You'd get kids smoking pot every once and a while. People have been smoking marijunana to thousands of years.

It's like a hamster, you give it food at a certain time everyday. Pretty soon it knows when it's getting food.

Then you attach it's food to an electrode and it in the cage. One shock and that hamster won't touch the food.

Animals are like that. That's why if marijuana was known to have a serious effect on animal health animals wouldn't eat it. But animals do eat it.

Humans are animals, they've smoked marijuana for thousands of years. If the plant killed you when you inhaled it people would learn pretty quickly that you don't touch that shit, let alone smoke it.

Pretty simple, even with an anecdote to help people understand. Follow closely children, it makes sense.

Originally posted by Jeff K
hen you attach it's food to an electrode and it in the cage. One shock and that hamster won't touch the food.

Animals are like that. That's why if marijuana was known to have a serious effect on animal health animals wouldn't eat it. But animals do eat it.

Humans are animals, they've smoked marijuana for thousands of years. If the plant killed you when you inhaled it people would learn pretty quickly that you don't touch that shit, let alone smoke it.
_________________________ ______________________

I've also watched videos of rabbits smoking cigarettes. But then I suppose bunnies don't get cancer.:D

Pot hasn't directly messed up anyone I know, but it has led several of my close friends to try more dangerous drugs with people whom they have nothing in common with besides substance abuse. That's no bs.

Lifting their own bans against substance to take advantage of the us is no new trick for Canada. Just go back to the days of prohibition and Al Capone getting whisky from across the frozen great lakes. :cof:

I am a moderate marijuana smoker and I've never tried any harder drugs. I also know many people who smoke a ton more pot than I do who function quite normally and have never touched harder drugs. I also know people who did harder drugs before they smoked marijuana. I know people who smoke marijuana and then did harder drugs.

I really depends on the individual and their willingness to experiment I think.

I think that the fact that MJ is outlawed makes it a gateway drug. Here's why:

If you want to buy MJ, you have to find someone to sell it to you. In most cases, this person is also willing to sell you other drugs (more money).
However, most people don't wake up one day and decide to smoke a bag of crack. They start with softer stuff and work their way up. Drug dealers use this to their advantage.
The first few buys are MJ. After a while, the dealer suggests something a little stronger - maybe a pill or two. After the addict has become a regular user, the dealer is able to peddle the hard stuff onto him - cociane, herion, ecstacy, meth, etc.

Put MJ in the drug store or the gas station, and the drug dealers have lost their ability to gain customers. There are not too many drugs out there as mild and relatively harmless as MJ. I believe legalization would curtail hard drug use substantially.

I have to agree with most of what you said Jeff. However, through my experience I have never had someone try to push harder drugs on me through the aquisition of marijuana. On the flip side of that most people who have access to marijuana do have contacts to get harder drugs and if I really wanted some hard drugs I could get them. Despite that, I'm in no hurry to do a line of coke or a pill of speed or god knows what else.

Jeff K... good to hear that you are moderating yourself! :thup: But the fact that you know you can get access to harder stuff is my point exactly. If we legalize MJ, we can cut off the drug dealers' customer base, while providing MJ to those who want to partake.

I'm all for cutting of the base of people who deal hard drugs. My only concern with legalization would be tobacco companies getting hold of it and making it addictive.

. My only concern with legalization would be tobacco companies getting hold of it and making it addictive.

I'm a little confused by this statement.... are you saying marijuanna isnt addictive?

And might I just add that I think this is the first time in my life that I've heard from an admitted pot smoker who is against legalization lol.

I'm saying marijuana is not PHYSICALLY addictive (Ie. You don't go through physical withdrawl as is the case with harsher drugs)

However, I AM will to admit that marijuana is not without it's psychological effects. From what I've observed many of the effects are based on the individual. Chronic use causes laziness and general apathy in most people, however, I've met some people who do not seem to experience this and at times are more productive when they're high. Irritability after frequent use (being high at one point or another for consecutive days) is also a common documented effect.
There are the obvious health concerns. Inhaling any type of smoke into your lungs is bad for you. Having voulenteered in a few health studies I feel I've been able to get past various health myths regarding marijuana. The drug contains roughly the same amount of toxins as ciggerettes, yet the marijuana smoker (even someone who smokes 6 marijuana joints each day, a rediculous amount) inhales less volume of smoke than someone who smokes ciggerettes habitually.
With that said, we are 30 to 40 years into what some call 'the pot smoking revolution.' This so called 'revolution' started in the early 60's and has continued to this day. At this point cases of lung cancer in marijuana smokers (even heavy users of the drug) seems to be roughly level with the rest of the population (This is from an Oxford study conducted in 1998). This is one fact even I find hard to believe as inhaling smoke is bound to have adverse effects.

It's definantly an interesting case no matter what side you stand on.

Forum List

Back