Canada Doesn't Like the Beaver

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
Canada's second-oldest magazine, The Beaver, is changing its name because its unintended sexual connotation has caused the history journal to become snagged in Internet filters and has turned off potential readers.

The Beaver was founded in 1920 as a publication of the Hudson's Bay Company, then a fur trader and now a department store chain. It has long since become a broader magazine about Canadian history and will change its name to Canada's History with its April issue, editor-in-chief Mark Reid said on Tuesday.

When The Beaver started publication, the name evoked only Canada's thriving fur industry. Ninety years later, the fur trade has diminished and the magazine's name has become slang for female genitals.

Readers complained that Internet filters were blocking emails and newsletters from The Beaver, Reid said. The society also had concerns about attracting readers.

History magazine drops Beaver title - oddstuff | Stuff.co.nz

Geez. And I thought it was just us Americans with our minds in the gutter...

Shouldn't it be more like "us Americans only like to start and have wars" on our minds?

Disregarding all the Americans who oppose the Iraq War and America's involvement in Afghanistan, you've decided to incorrectly generalize 300+ million people based on the actions of their government (whom, if you do pay attention you'll know, does not carry a whole lot of support from it's own people).

But even if you're of the sentiment that you oppose their wars (which you're entitled to your own opinion), there is one undeniable fact. Americans - unlike Canadians - are willing to give it their all for something they believe in, whether they may be right or wrong. I may disagree with the Iraq War, but I respect how they take a stance and stick to it and don't flounder, like us Canadians tend to do.

New Topics

Forum List

Back