Can Your Dog "Wink"?

HUGGY

I Post Because I Care
Mar 24, 2009
Seattle at large...Ballard lately
I had to laugh out loud. "Dre", my Pit, appeared soundly asleep on the bed just now and I spun around on my puter chair and his eye closest to the pillow was open and watching me. The other eye was totally closed as if sleeping. I can't remember ever seeing a dog consciously "winking". They always open both eyes. Funny...and a little creepy! :lol: :eek:

my dobie bite me...i am not happy...it was my fault....i was feeding meat scraps by hand and not paying attention.....there is no use saying gentle after the bite is done....damn it....you know they could put some damn hurting on ya

Huggy's pit is "Dre" and my son's is "Snoop". We have rap pits.

Mylo nips me occasionally when I feed her goodies, but she's getting better. I've taken a few rough teeth from the saint pup teaching him not to grab food from my hand but the result is he's pretty darned gentle. And boy it's hard to not be scared and just sort of throw the food after you've gotten nipped! I'd make the stinker eat all his food from my hand for 24 hours or so. And if he isn't gentle, don't let him have it. They learn really fast to gentle that snap down. Unless they're terriers. Then it seems they still snap...but they're apologetic about it.

Did your dog feel bad after he nailed you?

The other benefit of hand feeding for 24 hours...your dog will get hungry because he won't eat as much if he's dependent upon you for each morsel and has to earn it. And when he learns to control it when he's hungry, you've got it down. I think I might even just cook a pork roast and cut it up and not even feed him dog food, but just meat...that's something that can easily cause snapping (they get kinda excited about it) and once the point is made with meat, you won't have to worry about anything else.

That's actually a pretty good idea; I might just follow my own advice this weekend with my stinkers and see how it goes. I am really hitting the safety training with the big pup....I don't want him to ever get funny about food or be risky to do anything with, because he's just so big and there will always be little kids around him. He's not at all defensive about his food, but we're working on keeping him from TAKING food from the kids, and being slow and easy when he's being hand fed, cuz there will always be somebody around who will do that.

One of my favorite things to do is lift "Dre's" lip while he is sleeping and put a tasty morsel or the POISONOUS Nestles' chocolate tidbit under it and watch him as the chocolate melts in his mouth. He doesn't wake up...just starts smackin his lips and the tongue starts goin wild.

I like to share my morning buttered toast with him. He never "snaps" like your untrained mongrels..:lol:

I slice the toast up into little strips...then present one at his nose...he looks up to make sure it's OK to take it..then slowly opens his mouth and I lay it gently in his pie hole...yes..he likes pie..and cake..and blueberry muffins....

I only get nipped when playing rough with him..but the real danger is his head which can knock you out if he moves too fast when your head is next to his...OR his paws which he "punches" and "slaps" with. If he wants something in your hand he will first try to knock it out of your grasp with a fast slap of a paw.

But we were talking about winking dogs you goofs!

Not "blinking"...but real "winking". Is it just me or do all dogs wink like a human and I just haven't noticed it?

Forum List

Back