Can you really afford four more years?

We are showing signs of recovery, not fast, not huge but the signs are there, and that's bad news for Republicans. The Republican future is based on a recession/depression or better yet the country going completely under, and now this. What to do? Well Republicans should rest easy, they've done all that any party can do to destroy the economy, tax cuts for the wealthy, trickle-down, supply-side a few long wars yet, brave fellows that they are, they still come up with the slogans and platitudes.

I remember Douglas Brinkley saying on c-span that shortly after the President entered the WH he had several historians over for dinner and in a private moment, Mr Brinkley asked him what he thought of the country's situation ...Preside*nt Obama told him " It is far worse than we thought ".

Almost 4 million NEW jobs, many million jobs saved, consistent economic growth, excellent foreign policy and, as we all know, the list of GOOD accomplishments goes on and on.

Its an old trick - using something positive and making people believe its a negative. THAT is what the GObP/pubs have done with President Obama experience. Like it or not, he was and is as well qualified as almost every other president and he has done much more good for the average American than most other presidents. If you rw's would read his accomplishments with an open mind, you would know that.

What we cannot afford is the GObP/Repub back in the White House shoving their trickle down Robber Baron politics down our throats.

That makes him the stoopidest man ever elected president.

The other day, I heard Obama described this way. You bring a patient with a 102 degree temp to the doctor. The doctor treats the patient and his temp rises to 106 and then drops to 105 and you praise the doctor for doing such a great job "treating" the patient. :cuckoo:

I don't think I can afford the rest of the idiots term. It looked like the economy was finally turning the corner and now gas prices soar. And the idiot doesn't think it will effect the economy.

Interesting ... My investments lost money with the Bush crash but have been gaining, every single month, since then.

And, as everyone knows, the president has no control over gas prices.

Well, okay, everyone except certain pubs and bags. You know, like Michelle Bachmann and her fans.

What you rw's might want to ask yourselves is, WHO gains the most if gas prices are up during these months before the election ...

Last edited:

Obama's primary message for the election: "Do you really want to go back to the ideas that got us in this mess in the first place?"

Dance around that all you want, it's a fair question.

No, we don't........and we don't want to stick with the guy who doubled and tripled down on their mistakes and made it even worse. Wait, on second thought, maybe we do want the old guys back. They did far less damage.

I can't imagine I really have to say this, but just in case.

There are some people, I know you're not one of them, who believe that the Bush adminstration left behind an economic disaster of historic proportions and two horrific wars. I know you don't agree with this, I get it. Some people, however, do believe this. And they believe - I know you don't believe this - that Obama has done the best he can with a terrible, shitty, no-win situation, so it's a little tough to judge him given the mess he walked in to.

Now, some of those who do believe this - yes, I know you don't - may be prone to feel that putting things back in the hands of the party to which the Bush adminstration belonged may not be a great idea. See, these people aren't terribly thrilled with what the Bush administration left behind. I know you feel differently, that it wasn't bad at all. I get it.

But the calculation that Obama is making - I know you don't agree with this - is that only the hardcore right really believes that going back to the policies that created the situation that Bush left behind may not be a great idea. Crazy, I know. I mean, what he left behind was just a normal, simple recession, no big deal. Check this out, even worse, there are actually some people who would like to see what Obama could do when we have finally pulled out of this shit hole. I know, outrageous, go figure.

In short, believe this or not, and I know you don't, there are actually some people who don't, as you put it, "want the old guys back". And Obama will be going after those voters. That's my only point.

Last edited:
We are showing signs of recovery, not fast, not huge but the signs are there, and that's bad news for Republicans. The Republican future is based on a recession/depression or better yet the country going completely under, and now this. What to do? Well Republicans should rest easy, they've done all that any party can do to destroy the economy, tax cuts for the wealthy, trickle-down, supply-side a few long wars yet, brave fellows that they are, they still come up with the slogans and platitudes.

The rw's are sick of me posting the challenge to post links to GObP/Republican accomplishments.

Why? Because they can't.

They can call him childish names, they can lie about the amount of money he has spent, they can lie about his vacation time, they can post the most vicious and racist things about President Obama but they cannot locate even one example of GObP/Republican accomplishments.

They cannot post even one link to the jobs they have produced or the growth to our economy. They can't post even one example of anything positive the GObP/Republicans have done.

The one thing the rw's can do better than the Libs ... They can stick their heads deep in the sand and refuse to admit they're wrong.

On election day, the question of "Are you better off than you were four years ago" will be answered. All the wonderful accomplishments that democrats say obama was responsible for will be evaluated on a very personal level.

great opinion piece by Joseph Curl of the Washington Times.

CURL: Can you really afford four more years? - Washington Times
In January 2009, when President Obama was sworn in, a gallon of regular gasoline cost $1.68.
Candidate Obama made political hay of the issue throughout 2008, boldly asserting that he - and he alone - was most able to bring prices down.

“On private lands, oil production is booming,” wrote Fox reporter Jim Angle. “In North Dakota, the oil and gas are on private or state land and beyond the president’s control. The state has gone from producing a small amount of oil to some 450,000 barrels a day. Unemployment is 3.3 percent, the lowest in the country. And the state has a budget surplus in the billions.”
But America can’t afford four more years of trying to turn a community organizer into a president. They’d be better off trying to turn pond scum into fuel.

There is only one way to absolutely control the price of energy and that is to declare it a national security issue and nationalise it. Get the profiteers out of the equation and the price of gas can be anything we want it to be. All other action/non action is wishful thinking. We should do what China is doing and secure oil rights anywhere and everywhere we can and stop selling our critical future energy needs to international players that sell our future to the highest bidder on an open global market.

There would be no loss of jobs ..there would be an INCREASE in jobs and a more robust economy if the price of a gallon of gas was under $2...It could even be sustained under 1$ a gal. WE could fast tract a few more refineries and for the next 100 years, with oil rights purchased from outside the U S, we could lower the cost of doing business...free up trillions in consumer spending..and have enough of a cushion to position our country for a smooth transition to other energy sources.

It will never happen though because the leaches that strangle our access to cheaper fuel will never let go of the opportunity to hold our country hostage to any and every excuse to ratchet up the price and availability of our fuel.

Blaming Obama or any administration for the cost of gasoline is cynical and dishonest. We could do something about it but we won't because Americans are stupid and our minds are continually being more weakened by the corporate owned media which profits from our hostage mentality that they created and sustain.

Obama's primary message for the election: "Do you really want to go back to the ideas that got us in this mess in the first place?"

Dance around that all you want, it's a fair question.

No, we don't........and we don't want to stick with the guy who doubled and tripled down on their mistakes and made it even worse. Wait, on second thought, maybe we do want the old guys back. They did far less damage.

I can't imagine I really have to say this, but just in case.

There are some people, I know you're not one of them, who believe that the Bush adminstration left behind an economic disaster of historic proportions and two horrific wars. I know you don't agree with this, I get it. Some people, however, do believe this. And they believe - I know you don't believe this - that Obama has done the best he can with a terrible, shitty, no-win situation, so it's a little tough to judge him given the mess he walked in to.

Now, some of those who do believe this - yes, I know you don't - may be prone to feel that putting things back in the hands of the party to which the Bush adminstration belonged may not be a great idea. See, these people aren't terribly thrilled with what the Bush administration left behind. I know you feel differently, that it wasn't bad at all. I get it.

But the calculation that Obama is making - I know you don't agree with this - is that only the hardcore right really believes that going back to the policies that created the situation that Bush left behind may not be a great idea. Crazy, I know. I mean, what he left behind was just a normal, simple recession, no big deal. Check this out, even worse, there are actually some people who would like to see what Obama could do when we have finally pulled out of this shit hole. I know, outrageous, go figure.

In short, believe this or not, and I know you don't, there are actually some people who don't, as you put it, "want the old guys back". And Obama will be going after those voters. That's my only point.

Well you might be surprised to know that on another board that will go unnamed, I was constantly called a liberal by some of my fellow conservative posters on this board because I did not support Bush. I think that he like Obama is probably a good man, but not so hot of a president. He made plenty of mistakes, but none as bad as Obama. To your comment of, "Obama has done the best he can with a terrible, shitty, no-win situation, so it's a little tough to judge him given the mess he walked in to.", all I can say is boo fucking hoo! He chose to run for president. He chose to walk into a shit storm. I'm an average Joe and I was intelligent enough to see what was happening and what was coming. If he wasn't, that's on him. I feel no sympathy or compassion for him for taking the job and having to deal with what he is dealing with. He didn't have to apply. It's now 3 and a half years down the road. Where we are today sits squarely on his shoulders and no one else's. You guys need to quit making excuses that the reason Obama is doing so poorly is because of Bush. It just makes Obama look like a pussy for not manning up, taking his lumps and doing the right thing to get our nation back on track. No one likes a whiner in chief.

I don't think I can afford the rest of the idiots term. It looked like the economy was finally turning the corner and now gas prices soar. And the idiot doesn't think it will effect the economy.

Interesting ... My investments lost money with the Bush crash but have been gaining, every single month, since then.

And, as everyone knows, the president has no control over gas prices.

Well, okay, everyone except certain pubs and bags. You know, like Michelle Bachmann and her fans.

What you rw's might want to ask yourselves is, WHO gains the most if gas prices are up during these months before the election ...

Tell the dems that attacked Bush that the president has no control over gas prices. Fact is the the president can effect them. When he creates a climit of uncertanty they will go up. Not dealing with Iran properly is a prime example. If he would just hint that we will open up all US to drilling that would cause a drop.

What Obama said as a candidate has no bearing on the issue at hand. But nice try; next time I suggest a fresh herring.

Really? None? A candidate should not be held accountable for statements made while running?

Kind of a stupid attitude.

My attitude and intelligence aside, anyone who has listened to promises made by any pol understands statements change for reasons good and bad. Sometimes a change of circumstances necessitates a change of opinion - not everyone stays the course (well, unless they are lemmings and we know how that turns out).

Notwithstanding the obvious which escapes you, the point you made was a red herring. Only fools and Grandpa Murked U - but I repeat myself - misunderstood the real issue at hand.

In January 2009, when President Obama was sworn in, a gallon of regular gasoline cost $1.68.

But America can’t afford four more years of trying to turn a community organizer into a president. They’d be better off trying to turn pond scum into fuel.

There is only one way to absolutely control the price of energy and that is to declare it a national security issue and nationalise it. Get the profiteers out of the equation and the price of gas can be anything we want it to be. All other action/non action is wishful thinking. We should do what China is doing and secure oil rights anywhere and everywhere we can and stop selling our critical future energy needs to international players that sell our future to the highest bidder on an open global market.

There would be no loss of jobs ..there would be an INCREASE in jobs and a more robust economy if the price of a gallon of gas was under $2...It could even be sustained under 1$ a gal. WE could fast tract a few more refineries and for the next 100 years, with oil rights purchased from outside the U S, we could lower the cost of doing business...free up trillions in consumer spending..and have enough of a cushion to position our country for a smooth transition to other energy sources.

It will never happen though because the leaches that strangle our access to cheaper fuel will never let go of the opportunity to hold our country hostage to any and every excuse to ratchet up the price and availability of our fuel.

Blaming Obama or any administration for the cost of gasoline is cynical and dishonest. We could do something about it but we won't because Americans are stupid and our minds are continually being more weakened by the corporate owned media which profits from our hostage mentality that they created and sustain.

It will never happen though because the leaches that strangle our access to cheaper fuel

The only thing strangling our access is government.

Absolutely not. We cannot afford to allow the Republican psuedo-conservatives back in power. They will break the bank and divide the nation.

Candidate Obama made political hay of the issue throughout 2008, boldly asserting that he - and he alone - was most able to bring prices down.

“On private lands, oil production is booming,” wrote Fox reporter Jim Angle. “In North Dakota, the oil and gas are on private or state land and beyond the president’s control. The state has gone from producing a small amount of oil to some 450,000 barrels a day. Unemployment is 3.3 percent, the lowest in the country. And the state has a budget surplus in the billions.”

09/29/2008 gas price @ 3.8990
10/19/2008 gas price @ 3.4990
11/04/2008 gas price @ 2.2390
12/29/2008 gas price @ 1.5890

Gee Beaver, do you remember what was happening during this time?

It will never happen though because the leaches that strangle our access to cheaper fuel

My hope is that some day people like you will wake up from your coma and at least get facts and reality in some recognizable form in your skull.

Who do you think the most invasive contributors to congress are? YOUR access to your government is the problem Sport because you stupid fucks have decided that money is free speach and corporations are people. You keep voting for the same fuckwits over and over because you have agendas that have nothing to do with the comon good of our country..so all you have when facing the obvious end result of YOUR neglect in your responsibility to vote is to blame the only guy involved that cannot do anything about it.

You don't REALLY want cheap gas. That would require that you think when you vote..and that isn't going to happen. It requires the hard work of getting corporate money out of politics...ain't gonna happen..because they fund YOUR representatives because their dogma can't pay the freight so they suck up to any entity that will...at a cost to America.

Thanks for being stupid and lazy! I hope gas goes to twenty bucks a gallon..it will serve you ignorant assholes well and as you deserve.

and you are so stupid you would put the very peopel who created this mess back in office

I don't think anyone here is stupid enough to put Barney Frank and Chris Dodd back in office.

Please explain how Barney Frank was able to create the environment without the help of the other 434 Representatives and conspire with Chris Dodd without the help of he other 99 Senators to create the mess known as Bush's Great Recession?

Bush addressed fanny and freddie back in 2001, and frank said there was nothing wrong with it, then the housing bubble exploded. Blaming someone who has not held office in almost four years is getting old, and the more you do it, the more people see it for what it is.

My hope is that some day people like you will wake up from your coma and at least get facts and reality in some recognizable form in your skull.

Who do you think the most invasive contributors to congress are? YOUR access to your government is the problem Sport because you stupid fucks have decided that money is free speach and corporations are people. You keep voting for the same fuckwits over and over because you have agendas that have nothing to do with the comon good of our country..so all you have when facing the obvious end result of YOUR neglect in your responsibility to vote is to blame the only guy involved that cannot do anything about it.

You don't REALLY want cheap gas. That would require that you think when you vote..and that isn't going to happen. It requires the hard work of getting corporate money out of politics...ain't gonna happen..because they fund YOUR representatives because their dogma can't pay the freight so they suck up to any entity that will...at a cost to America.

Thanks for being stupid and lazy! I hope gas goes to twenty bucks a gallon..it will serve you ignorant assholes well and as you deserve.

I do want cheap gas. If the government opened ANWR, that would be a good first step.

Forum List

Back