Can you imagine being married and being told it is illegal to use birth control?

of course birth control freed women.....there was a shocking country western song by loretta lynn....i got the pill or something....

You wined me and dined me
When I was your girl
Promised if I'd be your wife
You'd show me the world
But all I've seen of this old world
Is a bed and a doctor bill
I'm tearin' down your brooder house
'Cause now I've got the pill
All these years I've stayed at home
While you had all your fun
And every year thats gone by
Another babys come
There's a gonna be some changes made
Right here on nursery hill
You've set this chicken your last time
'Cause now I've got the pill
This old maternity dress I've got
Is goin' in the garbage
The clothes I'm wearin' from now on
Won't take up so much yardage
Miniskirts, hot pants and a few little fancy frills
Yeah I'm makin' up for all those years
Since I've got the pill
I'm tired of all your crowin'
How you and your hens play
While holdin' a couple in my arms
Another's on the way
This chicken's done tore up her nest
And I'm ready to make a deal
And ya can't afford to turn it down
'Cause you know I've got the pill
This incubator is overused
Because you've kept it filled
The feelin' good comes easy now
Since I've got the pill
It's gettin' dark it's roostin' time
Tonight's too good to be real
Oh but daddy don't you worry none
'Cause mama's got the pill
Oh daddy don't you worry none
'Cause mama's got the pill

song caused big discussion....and was objected to by many

Loretta Lynn lyrics :: Loretta Lynn The Pill lyrics

it was recorded in 1975

The Mean Old USMB Software said:
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to strollingbones again.

Bummer, Dudette!

Art rocks!

:popcorn:

Birth control was not used to emancipate women it was used as a means to exploit them. The last thing the perps want is women continually pregnant so they cannot work and would require money for themselves and their offspring. No it was about having you cake and eating it. Let a women have a few children then exploit her to the hilt, looking after her charges, her spouse and working as well.

Women have been fooled like no others, what is seen as freedom and choice is nothing more than the wholesale exploitation of women. Everything from birth control to what a woman should look like is totally controlled by men.

Would you really expect anything less from 'Capitalism' among humans?!? :eusa_whistle:

-Joe

Regardless of what Sanger's motives may or may not have been, don't you think birth control has freed women in a remarkable way?

Yes. I'm very much in favor of birth control as a means of an individual delaying or preventing pregnancy.

Clearly, only a few people here would be in favor of BC for the originally intended reasons.
I don't think Sanger was a eugenicist. But I also don't think it would be relevant at this point if she had been one.
As a woman, access to birth control is something for which I cannot express enough my gratitude.

As I can only dig it and not relate when it comes to pregnancy, it's really none of my business. I can, however relate to having a choice.

You go Girl!! :clap2:
(Did I use that right :eusa_think:?)

-Joe

Last edited:
Regardless of what Sanger's motives may or may not have been, don't you think birth control has freed women in a remarkable way?

Yes. I'm very much in favor of birth control as a means of an individual delaying or preventing pregnancy.

Clearly, only a few people here would be in favor of BC for the originally intended reasons.
I don't think Sanger was a eugenicist. But I also don't think it would be relevant at this point if she had been one.
As a woman, access to birth control is something for which I cannot express enough my gratitude.

Agreed. I think that birth control is great, even if some of the motives for its creation may not have been all that PC.

in 1983...my hubby decided the did not want any more kids....i told him if he felt that way go for a vas.....i was not happy with his decision but you cannot force people to have kids....we went thru a year's waiting period...and i had to sign papers giving him permission to have a vas...it was kinda weird....we were both in our 30's. we had to undergo counseling with questions put to my hubby like this one.."what if they (my child and i) both die in a car wreck, would you not want more kids"
hubby replied...he didnt believe in replacement people....so minds are still opening it does seem

in 1983...my hubby decided the did not want any more kids....i told him if he felt that way go for a vas.....i was not happy with his decision but you cannot force people to have kids....we went thru a year's waiting period...and i had to sign papers giving him permission to have a vas...it was kinda weird....we were both in our 30's. we had to undergo counseling with questions put to my hubby like this one.."what if they (my child and i) both die in a car wreck, would you not want more kids"
hubby replied...he didnt believe in replacement people....so minds are still opening it does seem

That's interesting. I guess your state views that issue as something both parties deserve input over. Not that strange considering that spouses can sue for "loss of consortium" when their significant other ability to *ahem* consort has been compromised by an outside party.

In non-related news, I was 5 in 1983.

I'm uncertain how I feel on all of this....I am glad that they were made legal...it's not that....but it is what someone had said earlier....how this all was probably some capitalistic scheme to get women out in the workforce so more could be produced and sold, instead of barefoot and pregnant....

And after reading what allie said and xoi backed up with a link, I am not denying there was a eugentic reason for pushing it as well.

And then you have married women, who it ultimately involved, wanting their own freedom from being tied down with 8 kids....and with a choice of either denying husband and themselves from having sex, or have another kid to bear.

And we had single women who just wanted to be equal with men, being able to enjoy sex, without worrying about getting pregnant out of wedlock.

I personally felt the pressures of the capitalistic world and with my husband, decided the money and possessions were not worth it, and walked away from the fast lane...it took a lot of balls to do this and without children to worry about with their college and future nestegg, we were able to afford to live on one income...it is not easy, but still rewarding, for me....now that I am a Nature freak instead of a workaholic! :D

As I can only dig it and not relate when it comes to pregnancy, it's really none of my business. I can, however relate to having a choice.

You go Girl!! :clap2:
(Did I use that right :eusa_think:?)

-Joe
Go girl me any time, Joe.

And birth control has certainly made men's lives a lot easier too. :lol:

Yeah, that's weird that you had to give permission for him to have a vasectomy. I wonder if that was required by law or just the doctor wanting to avoid any possible lawsuit from you.

It's sort of like requiring a woman to have her husband's permission to abort. I don't like that sort of thinking.

Funny that people choosing to have kids aren't expected to go for counseling.

So you chose to stay with him instead of seek out another who would have a bigger family with you. I think that's that cool. He must have been worth it.

I'm uncertain how I feel on all of this....I am glad that they were made legal...it's not that....but it is what someone had said earlier....how this all was probably some capitalistic scheme to get women out in the workforce so more could be produced and sold, instead of barefoot and pregnant....

And after reading what allie said and xoi backed up with a link, I am not denying there was a eugentic reason for pushing it as well.

And then you have married women, who it ultimately involved, wanting their own freedom from being tied down with 8 kids....and with a choice of either denying husband and themselves from having sex, or have another kid to bear.

And we had single women who just wanted to be equal with men, being able to enjoy sex, without worrying about getting pregnant out of wedlock.

I personally felt the pressures of the capitalistic world and with my husband, decided the money and possessions were not worth it, and walked away from the fast lane...it took a lot of balls to do this and without children to worry about with their college and future nestegg, we were able to afford to live on one income...it is not easy, but still rewarding, for me....now that I am a Nature freak instead of a workaholic! :D
The only downside I can see to women having won the right to use birth control is that soon after I think it put the idea in some men's minds that women now have no reason to not want sex as much as they do. So some women felt pressured to act as horny and as slutty as some men act in order to be considered liberated. On the other hand, having a strong sex drive became less of a thing to be ashamed of for women also.

When my mother was newly married, she had to buy birth control under the counter. It was available to those who knew a sympathetic pharmacist.

The only downside I can see to women having won the right to use birth control is that soon after I think it put the idea in some men's minds that women now have no reason to not want sex as much as they do. So some women felt pressured to act as horny and as slutty as some men act in order to be considered liberated. On the other hand, having a strong sex drive became less of a thing to be ashamed of for women also.

When my mother was newly married, she had to buy birth control under the counter. It was available to those who knew a sympathetic pharmacist.

I think it gives everyone the opportunity to trend towards their natural libido which I think (and can in no way prove) is more of a function of nature rather than nurture.

I think it gives everyone the opportunity to trend towards their natural libido which I think (and can in no way prove) is more of a function of nature rather than nurture.
I agree. No longer having to fear getting pregnant removes a lot of anxiety in many women's lives.

I agree. No longer having to fear getting pregnant removes a lot of anxiety in many women's lives.
Whenever people start getting vocal about outlawing abortion I think that anxiety creeps back in.

Whenever people start getting vocal about outlawing abortion I think that anxiety creeps back in.

Yeah. I suspect the prolife movement has a significant number of people in it who oppose abortion because they feel it's morally wrong.

I also suspect there is a contingent of people whose real agenda is to try and control other people's sex lives and abortion is just the first battle to them.

I'm going to ask my usual question: what's the frigging point?

Yes, I can imagine being told that a certain product or procedure is illegal. What I can't quite imagine is why being married should somehow make any difference in that legality, or why the fact that something falls under the heading of "women's reproductive medicine", that somehow makes it sacred.

I see this whole thread as a smokescreen to try to pretend the issue is "Is it a good idea?" from "Is it Constitutional?" Whether or not I think it's a good thing that birth control is legally available is not the same as saying that means there's a Constitutional right to have access to it.

Forum List

Back