Can Y'all Help Out a Confused Brother Here?...

AVG-JOE

American Mutt
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 23, 2008
Your Imagination
I am seeing accusations and declarations of being "Conservative" along with accusations and declarations of being "Liberal" tossed around this board a lot.

What the hell do these terms mean to everyone?

I was under the impression that the original meaning behind 'conservative' meant that one was in favor of 'conserving' resources and nature.

I have never grasped a similar concept behind 'liberal'.

Can y'all help out a confused brother here?

-Joe

I am seeing accusations and declarations of being "Conservative" along with accusations and declarations of being "Liberal" tossed around this board a lot.

I was under the impression that the original meaning behind 'conservative' meant that one was in favor of 'conserving' resources and nature.

-Joe

**raises hand**

Do what feels good; consequences be damned, and take from those who worked for more, and give to those who sit around doing less?

If you support McCain/Palin, you're considered allright.

Support anyone else, and you're a "dirty liberal".

Support off-shore drilling, you're in a good space.

Don't, and you're a "dirty liberal".

Well I support Bob Barr and nobody has called me a "dirty liberal." :cool:

I don't know where you're at, but here, in a matter of 48 hours, gas went up approx. 71 cents.

STFU and commence drilling already.

-Joe

To me a conservative is someone who passes judgement on others based race, creed, sexual orientation and even religious beliefs.

Conservatives want less government but attempt to force government control into the most personal areas of our lives....

Conservatives spend money on military but not on education, health care, environment and other programs which would enrich the lives of ordinary citizens.

Conservatives believe that if you take care of the top then the bottom will eventually benefit too cuz the top will have more money to spend.

To me a liberal is someone who tends to live and let live. They don't prejudge people based on race, creed, sexual orientation.

Liberals believe that for the good of all people we should be willing to sacrafice a little of our own comforts.

Liberals believe that the role of government is to help it's citizens achieve their goals and give a helping hand to those in need.

Liberals are less inclined to spend money on military and more inclined to spend money on education, health care and the environment.

By the way, neo-cons, you DO realize that the word "liberty", which is something this country was founded on, has the same root as the word "liberal", right?

As far as what the word truly means?

lib·er·al /ˈlɪbərəl, ˈlɪbrəl/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[lib-er-uhl, lib-ruhl] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective
1. favorable to progress or reform, as in political or religious affairs.
2. (often initial capital letter) noting or pertaining to a political party advocating measures of progressive political reform.
3. of, pertaining to, based on, or advocating liberalism.
4. favorable to or in accord with concepts of maximum individual freedom possible, esp. as guaranteed by law and secured by governmental protection of civil liberties.
5. favoring or permitting freedom of action, esp. with respect to matters of personal belief or expression: a liberal policy toward dissident artists and writers.
6. of or pertaining to representational forms of government rather than aristocracies and monarchies.
7. free from prejudice or bigotry; tolerant: a liberal attitude toward foreigners.
8. open-minded or tolerant, esp. free of or not bound by traditional or conventional ideas, values, etc.
9. characterized by generosity and willingness to give in large amounts: a liberal donor.
10. given freely or abundantly; generous: a liberal donation.
11. not strict or rigorous; free; not literal: a liberal interpretation of a rule.
12. of, pertaining to, or based on the liberal arts.
13. of, pertaining to, or befitting a freeman.
–noun
14. a person of liberal principles or views, esp. in politics or religion.
15. (often initial capital letter) a member of a liberal party in politics, esp. of the Liberal party in Great Britain.
[Origin: 1325–75; ME < L l&#299;ber&#257;lis of freedom, befitting the free, equiv. to l&#299;ber free + -&#257;lis -al1]

I don't know where you're at, but here, in a matter of 48 hours, gas went up approx. 71 cents.

Umm, do you think the price went up because the supply dropped???

Drilling doesn't do a damn thing to stop a 71 cent increase. It's being caused by things like weather and fear and futures trading.

Last edited:

-Joe

To me a conservative is a small government low tax constitutionalist.

A libertarian is a small government civil liberties type.

A religious conservative is a social conservative and wants to legislate certain types of marriage and family duties and responsibilities.

Some of the fiscal conservatives are pretty pissed at some of the religious conservatives for taking over the party.

Liberal:

I have no good idea what this really means, the term 'libtard' and similar seems to be thrown around at people who seem to think the democratic party can do no wrong. I think liberals believe that gays should have the same rights as married folk, that a woman's reproduction is her own business, that guns should be more strictly regulated, and that it's OK to tax more for social programs (high taxes big government.)

What is ironic is that neither platform this cycle is as simplistic as that. Each candidate has positions on both sides. But you wouldn't konw it from listening to people way out on the ends of the wings.

It's not about the drilling, it's about the refineries. And, for the record, even though gas has gone up so high, have you seen the oil prices lately? They're down to 96 bucks/barrel.

Nope....it's not the drilling, it is the Republidiots who keep telling us that everything is okay. We don't need to drill, we need to build refineries AWAY FROM THE HURRICANE ZONES. We also need to start working with alternative energy sources. Technology is right at the sweet spot, we've just got to wake up to it.

To me a conservative is a small government low tax constitutionalist.

A libertarian is a small government civil liberties type.

A religious conservative is a social conservative and wants to legislate certain types of marriage and family duties and responsibilities.

Some of the fiscal conservatives are pretty pissed at some of the religious conservatives for taking over the party.

Liberal:

I have no good idea what this really means, the term 'libtard' and similar seems to be thrown around at people who seem to think the democratic party can do no wrong. I think liberals believe that gays should have the same rights as married folk, that a woman's reproduction is her own business, that guns should be more strictly regulated, and that it's OK to tax more for social programs (high taxes big government.)

What is ironic is that neither platform this cycle is as simplistic as that. Each candidate has positions on both sides. But you wouldn't konw it from listening to people way out on the ends of the wings.

hell--that would take all the fun our of it !~

By the way, neo-cons, you DO realize that the word "liberty", which is something this country was founded on, has the same root as the word "liberal", right?

As far as what the word truly means?

lib·er·al /&#712;l&#618;b&#601;r&#601;l, &#712;l&#618;br&#601;l/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[lib-er-uhl, lib-ruhl] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective
1. favorable to progress or reform, as in political or religious affairs.

O.K. If "Liberal" means you favor political reform, Lord knows we need to reform our politics here in America...

I guess you all can call me a 'liberal'...

But I really feel conservative in my attitude toward the environment and our natural resources - I hate to see them wasted or used for unnecessary profits.

Can't I be a little of both?

I'm still pretty confused - keep talking!

-Joe

O.K. If "Liberal" means you favor political reform, Lord knows we need to reform our politics here in America...

But I really feel conservative in my attitude toward the environment and our natural resources - I hate to see them wasted or used for unnecessary profits.

-Joe

Just say how you feel about a few things and people can stick a label on ya real quick ! :D

To me a conservative is someone who passes judgement on others based race, creed, sexual orientation and even religious beliefs.
To me a liberal is someone who tends to live and let live. They don't prejudge people based on race, creed, sexual orientation.
I cut your explanation down to two examples so I don't have a huge post.

Couldn't you just have defined Liberal and Conservative and let the OP make up his mind for himself?
A simple explanation is that Liberals want more government control over our lives and the economy while Conservatives want less.
Liberals want taxes raised, Conservatives want them lowered.
And so on like that.

To me, your explanations are bass ackwards. It's Liberals who can't live and let live because they are always pushing their agenda on everyone else by trying to tax and ban any activity they don't like.
Which is most everything.

-Joe

If you talk like the conservatives and support McInsane, the Pitbull with Lipstick, as well as any other Republidiot, you're told how insightful and wise you are by the conservatives here. If you don't, you're a dirty liberal.

As far as being some of both? Personally, I kinda think that is the way we should ALL be. Well balanced and capable of looking at something from the other point of view. 20 years in the military made me pretty damn conservative in some of my views, but, because I was restricted in what I could and couldn't do during that time, I've become something of a "hippie", as I can now grow my hair long and wear tie-dye shirts. I figure that since I spent something like 20 years on one side of the extreme, in order to maintain balance, I should do 20 years on the other side. I hang with bikers and hippies, ride a Harley, and live off my pension like a bum, but hey, I kinda think I earned it.

I think that we should ALL be liberal with allowing others THEIR view, even if we aren't capable of being liberal with our own.

-Joe

I think the root of conservative isn't about resources (drill baby drill) but about conserving values, the constitution, and a way of life. Although the constitution has weathered a tough eight years, so I am not sure about that even.

Forum List

Back