Can wild CEO Pay Be Tamed? Probably Not

1. You have a problem with English..or the written form. I was referring to the Progressive Tax..and not just income tax.

Progressive tax - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That article discusses the structure of a progressive tax system and the arguments for and against it. It doesn't state the reasons for Woodrow Wilson implementing a progressive tax table when the income tax was reintroduced upon passage of the 16th Amendment.

2. That wasn't the case from 1950 - 1980. That only happened after 1980 when taxes for the top tier were cut. And went into overdrive after 2000..when taxes were again cut. Over 50,000 manufacturing plants were closed during the Bush administration.

You cannot compare the economy of 1950-1980 to the economy of 2012. Following the WWII the U.S. was a mass producer of a majority of goods throughout the world because Europe was still rebuilding their infrastructure. People had no choice but to by American in those days and thus we could have 80% top tier tax rates and still have a bustling economy. When Europe came back on line in the 60s globalization was gradually reintroduced and it prompted Kennedy to lower marginal tax rates to spur further economic growth which it did for a few years, but foreign manufacturing continued to increase at cheaper rates. That is the reason that the steel and textile industries among others began to leave and move overseas. Reagan cut taxes again in the early 80s and we saw one of the most prosperous periods of growth since the 1920s.

3. Total bullshit. What happened after 2000 was George W. Bush cut the interest rates to fuel a housing bubble. This staggered UE..but eventually burst. Bush's economy blew up in 2008...as expected.

The Bush administration cut taxes in 2002 and from 2003 up until 2008 the economy grew, unemployment dropped, and federal revenue increased by 30%. Cutting the interest rates did fuel the housing bubble and certainly helped in fueling the economy, but it was not the only factor.

Here is your homework for today.

Roll Back the Reagan Tax Cuts | Common Dreams

This was written August 2007, so Bush's numbers were much worse on October 2008.

Since Bush has been president:

•over 5 million people have slipped into poverty;
•nearly 7 million Americans have lost their health insurance;
•median household income has gone down by nearly $1,300;
•three million manufacturing jobs have been lost;
•three million American workers have lost their pensions;
•home foreclosures are now the highest on record;
•the personal savings rate is below zero - which hasn't happened since the great depression;
•the real earnings of college graduates have gone down by about 5% in the last few years;
•entry level wages for male and female high school graduates have fallen by over 3%;
•wages and salaries are now at the lowest share of GDP since 1929.

You saying I'm wrong doesn't make it true. Feel free to elaborate at any time.

1. You have a problem with English..or the written form. I was referring to the Progressive Tax..and not just income tax.

2. That wasn't the case from 1950 - 1980. That only happened after 1980 when taxes for the top tier were cut. And went into overdrive after 2000..when taxes were again cut. Over 50,000 manufacturing plants were closed during the Bush administration.

3. Total bullshit. What happened after 2000 was George W. Bush cut the interest rates to fuel a housing bubble. This staggered UE..but eventually burst. Bush's economy blew up in 2008...as expected.

Guess you're wrong on this too:
John F. Kennedy on taxes

Wrong on what?

And sourcing World News Daily?

:lol:

That article discusses the structure of a progressive tax system and the arguments for and against it. It doesn't state the reasons for Woodrow Wilson implementing a progressive tax table when the income tax was reintroduced upon passage of the 16th Amendment.

You cannot compare the economy of 1950-1980 to the economy of 2012. Following the WWII the U.S. was a mass producer of a majority of goods throughout the world because Europe was still rebuilding their infrastructure. People had no choice but to by American in those days and thus we could have 80% top tier tax rates and still have a bustling economy. When Europe came back on line in the 60s globalization was gradually reintroduced and it prompted Kennedy to lower marginal tax rates to spur further economic growth which it did for a few years, but foreign manufacturing continued to increase at cheaper rates. That is the reason that the steel and textile industries among others began to leave and move overseas. Reagan cut taxes again in the early 80s and we saw one of the most prosperous periods of growth since the 1920s.

The Bush administration cut taxes in 2002 and from 2003 up until 2008 the economy grew, unemployment dropped, and federal revenue increased by 30%. Cutting the interest rates did fuel the housing bubble and certainly helped in fueling the economy, but it was not the only factor.

This was written August 2007, so Bush's numbers were much worse on October 2008.

•the personal savings rate is below zero - which hasn't happened since the great depression;
•the real earnings of college graduates have gone down by about 5% in the last few years;
•entry level wages for male and female high school graduates have fallen by over 3%;

And in the last 3 years all those numbers have gotten much much worse.
fail.

Average workers are nothing special, who the fuck cares what they earn?
You should care. Why? Because the exchange of capital for goods and services is what we call economic growth. If the average worker has less capital, he is reluctant to exchange that capital for the goods and services provided. If that reluctance spreads, the economy slows and fewer profits can be gleaned.

Consumer spending drives the economy. Consumer spending drives demand. Demand creates jobs.

Plus, aren't you an average worker?

No, I'm not average, never was, never will be.

My advice: stop being average, improve your outlook.

It's sad if you expect to be taken seriously around here. Since Bush? Tell us, is it better since Dear Ruler? Set aside your "inherited" rhetoric. Since your guy has been in charge, what has he been responsible for?

You should care. Why? Because the exchange of capital for goods and services is what we call economic growth. If the average worker has less capital, he is reluctant to exchange that capital for the goods and services provided. If that reluctance spreads, the economy slows and fewer profits can be gleaned.

Consumer spending drives the economy. Consumer spending drives demand. Demand creates jobs.

If your debate skills are indicative of your work skills, I'm sure there's a floor that needs to be polished in your area.

You don't know very much about economics, do you?
Now, if the discussion were about ordinances concerning toilets I would have to bow to your superior knowledge. Moral: Stick to what you know.
Truly you are the least important person breathing today.

If your debate skills are indicative of your work skills, I'm sure there's a floor that needs to be polished in your area.

A below average response, even from you.

What do you expect? Churchillian forensics? You dismiss average workers. You dismiss my argument. And now you're disappointed in my retort?!? You reap what you sow.

I don't waste my time with opinion pieces from biased propaganda Web sites designed for people like you who have to be told what to think. The author did not take the time to research and validate his claims.

When you begin acting like an intelligent poster I'll start treating you like one.

FDR's economy was worse than the 7 Biblical Lean years.
How did you arrive at that conclusion?

The decades between the post-War 40s and the mid-1980s were the most dynamically productive and prosperous in our history -- all thanks to FDR's New Deal and his constraints on the exploitative policies of the bankers. That era gave birth to an economically healthy and dignified working (middle) class from which your parents and you probably benefited.

That era was brought to an end by the inception of "Reaganomics" and the attending blitz of deregulation which has led to the rise of a monied aristocracy in America and Wall Street's criminal exploitation of Main Street and the near collapse of the national economy.

The decades between the post-War 40s and the mid-1980s were the most dynamically productive and prosperous in our history -- all thanks to FDR's New Deal and his constraints on the exploitative policies of the bankers. That era gave birth to an economically healthy and dignified working (middle) class from which your parents and you probably benefited.

That era was brought to an end by the inception of "Reaganomics" and the attending blitz of deregulation which has led to the rise of a monied aristocracy in America and Wall Street's criminal exploitation of Main Street and the near collapse of the national economy.

The New Deal was a failure just like the New Deal Part Deux is a failure. All FDR did was extend the depression for years longer than it would have been. WWII is what gave us the robust economy we had in the 40s and 50s for the reasons I already noted earlier.

The New Deal was a failure just like the New Deal Part Deux is a failure. All FDR did was extend the depression for years longer than it would have been. WWII is what gave us the robust economy we had in the 40s and 50s for the reasons I already noted earlier.
I don't wish to be offensive but what you've said here is patent evidence you don't know what you're talking about -- with particular reference to your suggestion that there has been a second ("Part Deux") New Deal.

The following are just a few specifics about the New Deal. Pay particular attention to the last item. If you don't think that, alone, constitutes a monumental success, ask your own parents or grandparents what they think of Social Security.

But if you are just too rich to be concerned with such things that will account for your negative position.

(Some of) THE NEW DEAL:

Emergency Banking Act/Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) Right after taking office as President, FDR shut down all of the banks in the nation and Congress passed the Emergency Banking Act which gave the government the opportunity to inspect the health of all banks. The Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) was formed by Congress to insure deposits up to $5000. These measures reestablished American faith in banks. Americans were no longer scared that they would lose all of their savings in a bank failure. Government inspectors found that most banks were healthy, and two-thirds were allowed to open soon after. After reopening, deposits had exceeded withdrawals.

Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA) Led by Harry Hopkins, a former social worker, this agency sent funds to depleting local relief agencies. Within two hours, $5 million were given out. Mr. Hopkins believed that men should be put to work and not be given charity. His program also funded public work programs. Revitalized many deteriorating relief programs.

Civil Works Administration (CWA) This public work program gave the unemployed jobs building or repairing roads, parks, airports, etc. The CWA provided a psychological and physical boost to its 4 million workers.

Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) This environmental program put 2.5 million unmarried men to work maintaining and restoring forests, beaches, and parks. Workers earned only $1 a day but received free board and job training. From 1934 to 1937, this program funded similar programs for 8,500 women. The CCC taught the men and women of America how to live independently, thus, increasing their self esteem.

Federal Securities Act of May 1933/ Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) This act required full disclosure of information on stocks being sold. The SEC regulated the stock market. Congress also gave the Federal Reserve Board the power to regulate the purchase of stock on margin. Critical for long-term success for businesses.

Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA) (May 1993) The TVA helped farmers and created jobs in one of America s least modernized areas. Reactivating a hydroelectric power plant provided cheap electric power, flood control, and recreational opportunities to the entire Tennessee River valley

Works Progress Administration (WPA) 1935-1943 This agency provided work for 8 million Americans. The WPA constructed or repaired schools, hospitals, airfields, etc. Decreased unemployment.

Social Security Act. This act established a system that provided old-age pensions for workers, survivors benefits for victims of industrial accidents, unemployment insurance, and aid for dependent mothers and children, the blind and physically disabled. Although the original SSA did not cover farm and domestic workers, it did help millions of Americans feel more secure.

Without those and other provisions and innovations in the New Deal WW-II would have produced nothing but more of the same exploitation of the working class by the super rich, such as we see recurring today.

Last edited:
As an incidental point I wish to add to the above, the suggestion that FDR's New Deal was a failure plainly reveals how effective the neo-Conservative propaganda machine has been. It is not uncommon to read commentary by otherwise intelligent individuals who clearly have been indoctrinated with boldface lies which they not only accept but eagerly propagate with confidence that they are stating facts.

The notion that the New Deal was a failure is a favorite lie put forth by the likes of Limbaugh, Hannity, Beck, Levin, Mahlsberg, et. al. This clique is and has been every bit as effective in deceiving the general public as was the Josef Goebbels' propaganda machine which was mainly instrumental in giving rise to the Third Reich.

Anyone who doesn't wish to be misled by propaganda should diligently investigate any important claim made by any of these professional liars.

And all the proof in the world won't stop you from repeating the lie.

This reminds me of the 30 year plan of attack the GOP have made on Social Security. For decades now they have been warning us "don't expect to get your social security"

Almost as if they are softening us up for the day they decide to kill the program.

Fixing SS is easy. Just tax the rich and put the money in the kitty. Same way GW used SS to give his tax breaks, undo them to fix what he broke. Simple.

Funny we can afford wars but we can't fund ss. Priorities?

After the Republican Great Depression, FDR put this nation back to work, in part by raising taxes on income above $3 to $4 million a year (in today's dollars) to 91 percent, and corporate taxes to over 50% of profits. The revenue from those income taxes built dams, roads, bridges, sewers, water systems, schools, hospitals, train stations, railways, an interstate highway system, and airports. It educated a generation returning from World War II. It acted as a cap on the rare but occasional obsessively greedy person taking so much out of the economy that it impoverished the rest of us.

Through the 1950s, though, more and more loopholes for the rich were built into the tax code, so much so that JFK observed in his second debate with Richard Nixon that dropping the top tax rate to 70% but tightening up the loopholes would actually be a tax increase.

JFK pushed through that tax increase to take us back toward FDR/Truman/Eisenhower revenue levels, and we continued to build infrastructure in the US, and even put men on the moon. Health care and college were cheap and widely available. Working people could raise a family and have security in their old age. Every billion dollars (a half-week in Iraq) invested in infrastructure in America created 47,000 good-paying jobs as Americans built America.

Reagan promptly cut income taxes on the very rich from 70% down to 27%. Corporate tax rates were also cut so severely that they went from representing over 33% of total federal tax receipts in 1951 to less than 9% in 1983 (they're still in that neighborhood, the lowest in the industrialized world).

The result was devastating. Our government was suddenly so badly awash in red ink that Reagan doubled the tax paid only by people earning less than $40,000/year (FICA), and then began borrowing from the huge surplus this new tax was accumulating in the Social Security Trust Fund. Even with that, Reagan had to borrow more money in his 8 years than the sum total of all presidents from George Washington to Jimmy Carter combined.

In addition to badly throwing the nation into debt, Reagan's tax cut blew out the ceiling on the accumulation of wealth, leading to a new Gilded Age and the rise of a generation of super-wealthy that hadn't been seen since the Robber Baron era of the 1890s or the Roaring 20s.

I don't waste my time with opinion pieces from biased propaganda Web sites designed for people like you who have to be told what to think. The author did not take the time to research and validate his claims.

When you begin acting like an intelligent poster I'll start treating you like one.

What are you calling into question?

And, most tragically, Reagan's tax cuts caused America to stop investing in infrastructure. As a nation, we've been coasting since the early 1980s, living on borrowed money while we burn through (in some cases literally) the hospitals, roads, bridges, steam tunnels, and other infrastructure we built in the Golden Age of the Middle Class between the 1940s and the 1980s.

We even stopped investing in the intellectual infrastructure of this nation: college education. A degree that a student in the 1970s could have paid for by working as a waitress at a Howard Johnson's restaurant now means incurring massive and life-altering debt for all but the very wealthy. Reagan, who as governor ended free tuition at the University of California, put into place the foundations for the explosion in college tuition we see today.

What do you expect? Churchillian forensics? You dismiss average workers. You dismiss my argument. And now you're disappointed in my retort?!? You reap what you sow.

It's like trying to get a batter with a lifetime .220 average into Cooperstown.

You Libs just want to bring people down so you don't have to feel like miserable failures 24/7. You think that it no one is allowed to succeed, your failures won't sting so much

FDR's economy started in 1933, unemployment averaged 19% until Hitler conquered France in 1940 and never dipped below 14%.

That's worse than the 7 Biblical Lean years

New Deal = Epic Fail

Forum List

Back