CDZ Can we please stop using suicide to push gun control, since guns do not create suicide....?

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
I just found this article from Psychology today that pretty much points out why using suicide to push gun control is dishonest and not based in truth, facts or reality.......

Fact Check, Gun Control and Suicide

There is no relation between suicide rate and gun ownership rates around the world. According to the 2016 World Health Statistics report, (2) suicide rates in the four countries cited as having restrictive gun control laws have suicide rates that are comparable to that in the U. S.: Australia, 11.6, Canada, 11.4, France, 15.8, UK, 7.0, and USA 13.7 suicides/100,000. By comparison, Japan has among the highest suicide rates in the world, 23.1/100,000, but gun ownership is extremely rare, 0.6 guns/100 people.

Suicide is a mental health issue. If guns are not available other means are used. Poisoning, in fact, is the most common method of suicide for U. S. females according to the Washington Post (34 % of suicides), and suffocation the second most common method for males (27%).

Secondly, gun ownership rates in France and Canada are not low, as is implied in the Post article. The rate of gun ownership in the U. S. is indeed high at 88.8 guns/100 residents, but gun ownership rates are also among the world’s highest in the other countries cited. Gun ownership rates in these countries are are as follows: Australia, 15, Canada, 30.8, France, 31.2, and UK 6.2 per 100 residents. (3,4) Gun ownership rates in Saudia Arabia are comparable to that in Canada and France, with 37.8 guns per 100 Saudi residents, yet the lowest suicide rate in the world is in Saudia Arabia (0.3 suicides per 100,000).

Third, recent statistics in the state of Florida show that nearly one third of the guns used in suicides are obtained illegally, putting these firearm deaths beyond control through gun laws.(5)

Fourth, the primary factors affecting suicide rates are personal stresses, cultural, economic, religious factors and demographics. According to the WHO statistics, the highest rates of suicide in the world are in the Republic of Korea, with 36.8 suicides per 100,000, but India, Japan, Russia, and Hungary all have rates above 20 per 100,000; roughly twice as high as the U.S. and the four countries that are the basis for the Post’s calculation that gun control would reduce U.S. suicide rates by 20 to 38 percent. Lebanon, Oman, and Iraq all have suicide rates below 1.1 per 100,000 people--less than 1/10 the suicide rate in the U. S., and Afghanistan, Algeria, Jamaica, Haiti, and Egypt have low suicide rates that are below 4 per 100,000 in contrast to 13.7 suicides/100,000 in the U. S.

It's cheaper than mental health. Talk about things that are impossible to accomplish and make the goal over here rather than where it needs to be.

I just found this article from Psychology today that pretty much points out why using suicide to push gun control is dishonest and not based in truth, facts or reality.......

There is no relation between suicide rate and gun ownership rates around the world. According to the 2016 World Health Statistics report, (2) suicide rates in the four countries cited as having restrictive gun control laws have suicide rates that are comparable to that in the U. S.: Australia, 11.6, Canada, 11.4, France, 15.8, UK, 7.0, and USA 13.7 suicides/100,000. By comparison, Japan has among the highest suicide rates in the world, 23.1/100,000, but gun ownership is extremely rare, 0.6 guns/100 people.

Suicide is a mental health issue. If guns are not available other means are used. Poisoning, in fact, is the most common method of suicide for U. S. females according to the Washington Post (34 % of suicides), and suffocation the second most common method for males (27%).

Secondly, gun ownership rates in France and Canada are not low, as is implied in the Post article. The rate of gun ownership in the U. S. is indeed high at 88.8 guns/100 residents, but gun ownership rates are also among the world’s highest in the other countries cited. Gun ownership rates in these countries are are as follows: Australia, 15, Canada, 30.8, France, 31.2, and UK 6.2 per 100 residents. (3,4) Gun ownership rates in Saudia Arabia are comparable to that in Canada and France, with 37.8 guns per 100 Saudi residents, yet the lowest suicide rate in the world is in Saudia Arabia (0.3 suicides per 100,000).

Third, recent statistics in the state of Florida show that nearly one third of the guns used in suicides are obtained illegally, putting these firearm deaths beyond control through gun laws.(5)

Fourth, the primary factors affecting suicide rates are personal stresses, cultural, economic, religious factors and demographics. According to the WHO statistics, the highest rates of suicide in the world are in the Republic of Korea, with 36.8 suicides per 100,000, but India, Japan, Russia, and Hungary all have rates above 20 per 100,000; roughly twice as high as the U.S. and the four countries that are the basis for the Post’s calculation that gun control would reduce U.S. suicide rates by 20 to 38 percent. Lebanon, Oman, and Iraq all have suicide rates below 1.1 per 100,000 people--less than 1/10 the suicide rate in the U. S., and Afghanistan, Algeria, Jamaica, Haiti, and Egypt have low suicide rates that are below 4 per 100,000 in contrast to 13.7 suicides/100,000 in the U. S.
What about people who jump off a bridge and drown? Should we ban water?

What about people who jump off a bridge and drown? Should we ban water?

See...you missed it....we need to ban bridges....and tall buildings.....and trains.......

You could probably help stop this if you were willing to take incidents for what they are instead of making every incident a gun's right issue.

You could probably help stop this if you were willing to take incidents for what they are instead of making every incident a gun's right issue.

I would gladly do that if you guys would stop using every incident as a reason to limit and ban guns.....for no rational reason....

I would gladly do that if you guys would stop using every incident as a reason to limit and ban guns.....for no rational reason....

I don't. I have seen you throw up multiple threads in the same day even. There are times when it appears you are paranoid.

I don't. I have seen you throw up multiple threads in the same day even. There are times when it appears you are paranoid.

Being paranoid means there is no real threat........the 4th Circuit Court of appeals just gave a decision that says that any weapon that could be considered for military use is not protected by the 2nd Amendment......that decision essentially guts the 2nd Amendment...since every gun has at some point been used by the military.....and had hilary won, I posted the outline of their legal plans to sue gun makers.......

These attacks against the 2nd Amendment are real....they are being done in the courts and through state, local and federal government action.....that isn't being paranoid...that is actually dealing with threats to a Right....

Explain how this is paranoia...this ruling just came out...and ignores other Supreme Court decisons....it essentially makes up it's own 2nd Amendment law.....

The Conspiracy To Dismember Heller

The consequences of the ruling cannot be overstated. In essence, the 4th Circuit has contrived a brand-new constitutional “test,” the practical effect of which is the removal of Second Amendment protection from any firearm that a judge happens not to like.

In Heller, the Supreme Court took three related positions:

First, that firearms “in common use” may not be banned;

second, that while “dangerous” arms may be regulated, only those that are “unusual” in addition are eligible for prohibition; and

third, that a government may not ban certain types of guns on the understanding that other types remain available.

In a follow-up case, Caetano v. Massachusetts, Justice Samuel Alito stated in his concurrence that “the relative dangerousness of a weapon is irrelevant when the weapon belongs to a class of arms commonly used for lawful purposes.”

Disgracefully, the 4th Circuit ignored all these prescriptions—which it was duty-bound to follow—electing instead to devise its own rule: that if a weapon is “most useful in military service,” it enjoys no constitutional protection.

In so doing, the court thumbed its nose at its superiors and quietly rewrote the law for millions of Americans.

Explain how this is paranoia...this ruling just came out...and ignores other Supreme Court decisons....it essentially makes up it's own 2nd Amendment law.....

No. King essentially took Heller and used it. I would lay money it will be granted certiorari and heard by the SC and smack the crap out King's opinion.

No. King essentially took Heller and used it. I would lay money it will be granted certiorari and heard by the SC and smack the crap out King's opinion.

No...he didn't use Heller....he completely ignored Heller, and Miller and Caetano......there is nothing in their ruling that comes close to following the law.....

But as I just pointed out....this is a direct attack on the 2nd Amendment...it is not paranoia, it is a ruling that if it is not overturned, guts the 2nd Amendment...and the majority of the judges on this court were appointed by obama and clinton......

There was a media campaign about gun violence this week......they are still using suicide to boost their numbers.......I won't mention what it was, because I don't want to support them other than to show they were lying again.....

You constantly spam the board with your propaganda. The only people who bother reading you identical threads and identical posts are those who agree that thousands of dead children are insufficient reason to make guns safer. Oh yeah, and those who agree that arming criminals, known and suspected terrorists (domestic and foreign), criminals, undocumented and the mentally ill is more important than the lives of those kids.

You do nothing to help your demented cause.

[emoji90]

Sent from my iPad using USMessageBoard.com

You constantly spam the board with your propaganda. The only people who bother reading you identical threads and identical posts are those who agree that thousands of dead children are insufficient reason to make guns safer. Oh yeah, and those who agree that arming criminals, known and suspected terrorists (domestic and foreign), criminals, undocumented and the mentally ill is more important than the lives of those kids.

[emoji90]

If you guys would stop trying to ban guns and if you would simply stop lying, I wouldn't have to keep posting the actual facts....

Here is your first lie....

those who agree that thousands of dead children are insufficient reason to make guns safer.

The facts....children murdered with guns and accidental gun death of children...from the CDC.....

Leading Causes of Death | WISQARS | Injury Center | CDC
Kids murdered by guns....

under 1: 12
age 1-4: 39

age 5-14: 142

total gun murder of children.....193

Kids murdered by other means...

under 1: 270
age 1-4: 298
age 5-14: 135

murder of children by other means.....703
Now, if even if you include gun accidents into the total.....

you are still wrong....

Accidental death by gun for children....

under 1: 3
age 1-4: 27
age 5-14: 39

Total accidental gun death for kids 2013....69
Total accidental gun death for kids in 2014...50

[emoji90]

Lie number 2.....

Oh yeah, and those who agree that arming criminals, known and suspected terrorists (domestic and foreign), criminals, undocumented and the mentally ill is more important than the lives of those kids.

I have yet to see any paperwork from any gun supporter, the NRA, the 2nd Amendment foundation, Gun owners of America....or law abiding gun owner that wants to do any of that....

And the fact that you want nameless bureaucrats to be able to strip U.S. citizens of a Right, simply because you don't like the right shows that you are a fascist.....since that is what the no fly/no buy list would do, since you don't have to be convicted of anything, you don't have to be arrested for anything.....you just get your name on that list and your right to bear arms is gone forever...without any recourse to a process before getting put on the list, and with an unknown process for trying to get off the list...

Here....Trey Gowdy asks what other Rights do people like you want stripped without due process....you should watch it, you might see your inner fascist showing...

How about the 1st Amendment.....the Right against cruel and unusual punishment.......

[emoji90]

So...not one thing in your post is true.....that is why I keep posting.....

Forum List

Back