Can we please get our own oil reserves...

insein

Apr 10, 2004
Philadelphia, Amazing huh...
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=568&u=/nm/20040513/bs_nm/markets_oil_dc_31&printer=1

US Oil Prices Hit an All-Time Record High

Thu May 13, 4:43 PM ET Add Business - Reuters to My Yahoo!

NEW YORK (Reuters) - U.S. oil prices hit an all-time record high on Thursday amid concerns over thin gasoline supplies ahead of peak demand driving season and tight global crude stocks.

Benchmark U.S. light crude futures for June delivery climbed to $41.17 a barrel in after hours trade -- the highest level since October 1990 following the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait. It settled the regular session up 31 cents to $41.08, while London Brent gained 54 cents at $38.49 a barrel.

Dealers said crude rally's was fueled in part by a rise in U.S. gasoline futures to a record $1.4015 a gallon hit in the regular session as dealers eyed a year-on-year supply shortfall in the run-up to vacation season.

The Memorial Day holiday weekend at the end of May marks the traditional start to U.S. summer driving season, when motorists take to the roads in greater numbers and account for roughly 12 percent of the world's oil consumption.

The worries over motor fuel come against the backdrop of robust global growth that is thinning available supply, continued turmoil in the Middle East and doubts about whether the OPEC (news - web sites) cartel will cool off the sizzling market.

"This is not a spike in the oil price due to a single factor," said Paul Horsnell, an analyst with Barclays Capital.

"Indeed, given the erosion in spare oil production capacity, the loss of flexibility in first, U.S., and now, increasingly global refining, and the massive destabilization that has been created in the Middle East, $40 no longer looks at all outrageous," he said.

Analysts have said that instability in the Middle East and fears that a terror attack could disrupt oil flows from the world's leading oil producer Saudi Arabia had added a price premium of between $8 and $10 per barrel.

Allowing for inflation, prices are still only half of where they where during the oil price shock that followed the Iranian revolution in 1979.

World oil demand is proving far stronger than expected, thanks to booming economic growth, the International Energy Agency said Wednesday. Incremental growth in fuel consumption this year looked set to hit a 16-year record, it said.

According to U.S. officials, the oil spike does not appear to have stunted that growth. Gregory Mankiw, the chairman of the White House Council of Economic Advisors, told Reuters the U.S. economy remained on track for a robust recovery and current oil prices did not pose a significant risk.

Saudi Arabia's attempt to cool prices by proposing an increase in OPEC supply quotas has yet to have any impact. Riyadh has already signed off on more supplies to U.S. and European customers in June.

"That suggests that there are some fairly powerful forces at work, and indeed the price response seems to represent the raising of a degree of skepticism about the ability of producers to counteract those forces," said Horsnell.

The Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries will decide output policy on June 3 in Beirut after discussing options on the sidelines of a forum for petroleum producer and consumer countries in Amsterdam on May 22-24.

Already pumping more than 2 million barrels a day in excess of its official limits, traders say OPEC's proposed increase in quotas of at least 1.5 million bpd will do little more than legitimize existing production.

Spare capacity in OPEC is limited largely to Saudi Arabia, with some spare volume also available in the United Arab Emirates and Kuwait, analysts say, noting those three producers will need to open the taps to add real extra supplies.

Prices also found support for a fifth day from below-par Iraqi crude exports following a sabotage attack on a pipeline near the Gulf port of Basra, fueling jitters over the security of supply in the Middle East.

Seriously. We need to find more oil reserves within our borders so that we can stop relying on people on the other side of the planet to run our economy.

Originally posted by MtnBiker
Find them? We know where they are.

Of course we do. IT was a rhetorical question to evironmentalist pussies. I believe with the technology that we possess today, we can find a way to get oil out of Alaska and not endanger the wildlife. But so long as environmentalists throw money away on activist groups, then it won't happen.

someone a while back posted a vid clap from a site call ANWR.org. It was of a native advocating drilling in ANWR. Kinda made me think. Libs can't have it both ways. that is lower dependency on foreign oil and not drill ANWR

Come on guys. Dont you realize that the current inflation of oil prices is a plot by President Bush to put pressure on congress to allow us to drill in Alaska?;)

Drilling in ANWR could happen yesterday if the republicans would back off the demand about limiting liability to drilling companies in case of spills.

Originally posted by DKSuddeth
Drilling in ANWR could happen yesterday if the republicans would back off the demand about limiting liability to drilling companies in case of spills.

In today's sue-happy culture, I can understand the GOP's willingness to put something like that in there.

Do you have any links to the bill, or to a summary of the bill, that talks about those provisions? I'd kind of like to read them.

Well, I've looked through a ton of information and have been unable to find anywhere that says this was an obstacle. It's entirely possible I have two seperate issues confused together. Since I see no limitations on liability for spills, I say let em drill.

“MTBE is a known pollutant that has rendered a growing number of public and private sources of drinking water unfit for human consumption,” said Bass. “Refiners have known since the early 1980s that MTBE could cause widespread contamination of our nation’s drinking water. Cleanup of the gas additive is difficult and costly. This bill essentially exempts the producers from any financial and cleanup responsibilities.”

http://www.gop.gov/item-news.asp?docId=57957

Nichevo.

I couldn't find the relevant text on the bill that the Senator was referring to, but that Senator is from the GOP (I don't know which way he leans) so I'll consider his interpretation of a Republican bill accurate.

I don't know the guy either, but it sounds like a Democrat wrote that press release.

However, according to the press release, "the House energy bill would eliminate the oxygenate requirement responsible for the gasoline additive MTBE." So it looks like this bill eliminates the need for MTBE, which environmentalists should be applauding. And if MTBE is no longer being produced, why is their legal protection an issue?

Don't dispair.. Alaskan Oil might be on the way!

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: March 31, 2004 No. 04-054

Governor Announces Oil & Gas Leasing Off-shore of ANWR, NPR-A

(Washington, DC) – Saying the State of Alaska will not submit to the dictates of America’s extreme environmental community, Governor Frank H. Murkowski today announced he will begin the process of planning oil and gas lease sales in state waters off-shore of the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge and the National Petroleum Reserve-Alaska. His intention is to have the lease sales included in a state offering by October of this year.

Murkowski cited high energy prices and the nation's increasing hunger for natural gas as good reasons why Alaska needs to move on increased oil and gas development.

“Today I am initiating a leasing program on state lands, off-shore in the Arctic, along the coast of ANWR and NPR-A,” Murkowski said. “There are about 425 miles of coastline between Barrow and the Canadian border. That’s just under two million acres in all.

“Residents of Alaska and the North Slope are unified in their support for the opening of ANWR. Initial contacts with officials of the North Slope have been made. It would be my intention to include the state offshore ANWR tracts in our October 2004 Beaufort Sea Area Wide lease sale.

“America should not be held hostage by Middle-East oil imports. Motorists should not have to pay more than $2 for a gallon of gasoline. Alaska oil, Alaska natural gas, can help balance the equation.”

read more....

http://www.gov.state.ak.us/news.php?id=880

Are we running out of oil? Is the Club of Rome's famous dire prediction of severe energy shortages finally coming true? The media seem to think so. One major publication recently complained our energy sources are "running on empty."

But the doomsayers are all wrong. First, gasoline prices are still historically cheap. Gas at $2 a gallon seems expensive, but we need to adjust for inflation to determine whether today's price is out of line with past pump prices.

When energy and gas prices are measured correctly, we find that, although the price has risen than 20 percent in recent weeks, gasoline remains affordable in historical terms. The current "record high" price is quite moderate by historical standards. And in real terms, we had higher retail gasoline prices as recently as 1985, and significantly higher prices from 1979 to the mid-1980s.

intersting read....
http://www.cato.org/dailys/04-06-04.html

Do they even have any idea how much oil and natural gas in the ANWR?

And how much of a difference will it really make at the pump? If everyone has been conditioned into paying two bucks plus at the pump, then whatever comes out of Alaska won't make any difference in the price of a gallon of gas.

What we REALLY need to do is get our butts in gear and find viable energy alternatives, so we can tell all the rag heads to DRINK their fucking oil.

And when we are no longer dependent on it, and they "still" need our food, hmmmmmm, suddenly the price of fucking GRAIN TRIPPLES!!

Paybacks are a bitch.

Originally posted by Pale Rider
Do they even have any idea how much oil and natural gas in the ANWR?

And how much of a difference will it really make at the pump? If everyone has been conditioned into paying two bucks plus at the pump, then whatever comes out of Alaska won't make any difference in the price of a gallon of gas.

Not much at all...

"Studies show the refuge holds between 0 and six billion barrels of recoverable oil —about what the U.S. consumes in just six months – and that drilling there would only reduce our reliance on foreign oil by just 2% at peak production."

What we REALLY need to do is get our butts in gear and find viable energy alternatives, so we can tell all the rag heads to DRINK their fucking oil.

Economics is the primary motivator for any such change.

Those fuel effecient sedan's from the oil shock's of the 70's, along with Carter's infamous "malaise speech" and alternative energy poicy from that era were a direct result of the cost of oil vis-a-vis other sources of energy.

Forum List

Back