Can We PLEASE fix unemployment first....before overhauling healthcare...

our situation is getting a wee bit better...i still say we need to bite the bullet and buy american...fuck walmart....buy american..demand that your vendors supply you american options...hell you people will boycott letterman over a bad joke but wont spend the extra dollars it takes to buy american...so you are part of the problem...you have put the textiles out and now the furniture...no one gave a shit when it was blue color jobs then they outsourced your job and it was an issue....buy american..save your own country

our situation is getting a wee bit better...i still say we need to bite the bullet and buy american...fuck walmart....buy american..demand that your vendors supply you american options...hell you people will boycott letterman over a bad joke but wont spend the extra dollars it takes to buy american...so you are part of the problem...you have put the textiles out and now the furniture...no one gave a shit when it was blue color jobs then they outsourced your job and it was an issue....buy american..save your own country

Now they're outsourcing jobs requiring a college degree or giving them to foreign guest workers willing to do them for a fraction of what Americans can afford to live on, because the guest workers come from countries that pay 100% of their citizens' college tuition and thus don't have to worry about paying back student loans, while Americans are seeing financial aid cut, tuition and interest on student loans jacked up.

I agree Bones...I read every label of everything I buy, and if it says made in a foreign country, I put it back on the shelf. I only by wine at Wally World, and it is made in the Sanoma Valley, California.
However our unemployment numbers are not getting any better; instead they are still declining according to this.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/06/19/unemployment-rates-hit-record-highs-states/

Last edited:

Now they're outsourcing jobs requiring a college degree or giving them to foreign guest workers willing to do them for a fraction of what Americans can afford to live on, because the guest workers come from countries that pay 100% of their citizens' college tuition and thus don't have to worry about paying back student loans, while Americans are seeing financial aid cut, tuition and interest on student loans jacked up.

Now? That's been happening for years.

What if foreign products are cheaper? Why hurt the consumer by telling them to only buy American? Protectionism doesn't work.

I am thinking he needs the crisis more than he needs cure.

Unemployment has risen so fast over the last year... I have never seen such a total collapse, even during the 70's with really serious issues pushing for collapse.

This is so fucking stupid, I don't even know where to begin. We're the problem because we want to spend less money for the same goods? Maybe the problem is the cost of the goods, not our unwillingness to buy them.

Be Patient:

Jobless claims data show signs of stabilization

Jobless claims data show signs of stabilization - Stocks & economy- msnbc.com

And yesterday I heard Republicans accusing him of both trying to do too much and also not doing enough.

What do you suggest?

Do you want to force companies to bring jobs back home? Tariff? Use Protectionism? Fix NAFTA? Deal with our illegal employer problem? What?

Another stimulus, let Obama take over more private companies, National Healthcare, Cap and Trade. Those policies will REALLY stabilize the job market .......:eusa_whistle:

Nothing is made strictly in America anymore anyway. Or for that matter has all the work done on it done overseas except textiles which the unions ran out of the country years ago by pushing costs to the point that the only people who could buy union textiles were union workers. Thank the government to for asinine rules and regulations that added to the burden without making anything or anyone any more productive.

Nothing is made strictly in America anymore anyway. Or for that matter has all the work done on it done overseas except textiles which the unions ran out of the country years ago by pushing costs to the point that the only people who could buy union textiles were union workers. Thank the government to for asinine rules and regulations that added to the burden without making anything or anyone any more productive.

I hate to be contrary on the textiles issue here garyd, but the union issue on this one is not exactly true. American Textile companies were for the most part based in the South like West Point Pepperell and they were strongly anti-union. The downfall of American Textiles especially for that company came in the 80's with the like is Bill Farley and "junk bonds" and with the massive influx of cheap textiles from overseas accompanied with unfriendly business taxes here. While the Union holds at least part of the blame in the demise of companies like GM and Chrysler it's a competely different story in the american Textile industry. Which I would like to add most of West Point Pepperell if not all is produced in Pakistan with the same equiptment that once produced it here. The facts are textiles became so cheap to produce overseas both in terms of labor costs and production costs American labor could not compete without a Govt. willing to provide the necessary friendly business environment to do so and it was not willing to do that. So that is why when you drive though the South now and see all these empty textile plants that used to employ thousands and thousands of Americans sitting empty and in some cases have been replaced by a Kia or Toyota plant it has in this case not much at all to do with unions. What is the real tragedy in all this , not only are the lives of all these people effected but, these companies are gutting these plants at a furious rate and OUR Govt. is allowing them to send that capability overseas in the form of the very hardware that once made the textiles here. So I might suggest you start with the Govt. here and ask them why, they did not provide an environment to allow these textile companies to thrive and further still, why is that they would allow these strategic assets to be shipped overseas without proper oversight. I'm all in favor of "free markets" and international trade, but I'm also for fair trade and that means our Govt. must provide and environment that allows these companies to thrive and not stiffle them in the form of over regulation, environmental controls, burdensome taxes. and provide incentives to businesses that hire here. Otherwise these companies wiil continue to move offshore to survive ...

West Point-Pepperell, Inc. -- Company History

From humble roots in the South's postwar reconstruction, over the last century West Point-Pepperell, Inc. (WPP) has experienced tremendous growth through the acquisition of other companies and investment in new mills and production development. After taking over many companies, West Point-Pepperell experienced some extreme turbulence when it was taken over itself in a deal involving intricate, and very shaky, manipulations within the world of high finance. Despite the failure of the takeover, the company remains a preeminent manufacturer of sheets, towels, and apparel, encompassing such famous brand names as Martex, Ralph Lauren, and Lady Pepperell. It is the top-selling U.S. producer of domestic bed linens and the number two producer of bath towels.

Now? That's been happening for years.

Certainly since Clinton.

What if foreign products are cheaper? Why hurt the consumer by telling them to only buy American? Protectionism doesn't work.

Why hurt American workers and likely utimately risk having your job outsourced by buying foreign products?

Be Patient:

Jobless claims data show signs of stabilization

And yesterday I heard Republicans accusing him of both trying to do too much and also not doing enough.

What do you suggest?

Do you want to force companies to bring jobs back home? Tariff? Use Protectionism? Fix NAFTA? Deal with our illegal employer problem? What?
Your such a hack...

The report shows that job losses are easing after companies made deep cuts earlier this year. But it’s not clear whether recipients of unemployment insurance are finding new jobs or simply using up all their benefits, which typically last 26 weeks.

“It is unlikely that new hiring has picked up in any meaningful fashion,” Joshua Shapiro, chief economist with MFR Inc., a consulting firm, wrote in a note to clients. “More probable is that long-term unemployed are starting to fall off the rolls.”

Does that include workplace safety, environmental, and child labor laws?

Nope they unfortunately went way beyond that and what the government didn't screw up the Unions and lawyers did. Hence if you want to wear clothes you'll have to buy somnething that was made overseas in whole or in part.

Forum List

Back