can we just get rid of the UN......

manu1959

Left Coast Isolationist
Oct 28, 2004
california
please.....

White House objects to UN calling US 'deadbeat'

WASHINGTON (AP) - The White House objected Thursday to U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon's description of the United States as a "deadbeat" donor to the world body.
Ban used the phrase Wednesday during a private meeting with lawmakers at the Capitol, one day after he met with President Barack Obama in the Oval Office.

White House press secretary Robert Gibbs said Ban's "word choice was unfortunate," given that the U.S. is the largest contributor to the United Nations.

The United States pays 22 percent of the organization's nearly $5 billion operating budget but is perennially late paying its dues.

please.....

WASHINGTON (AP) - The White House objected Thursday to U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon's description of the United States as a "deadbeat" donor to the world body.
Ban used the phrase Wednesday during a private meeting with lawmakers at the Capitol, one day after he met with President Barack Obama in the Oval Office.

White House press secretary Robert Gibbs said Ban's "word choice was unfortunate," given that the U.S. is the largest contributor to the United Nations.

The United States pays 22 percent of the organization's nearly $5 billion operating budget but is perennially late paying its dues.

Just blow the damn place up.

I'll disagree with that.

The UN can be useful for setting international policies which we are not willing to go to war over.

In all fairness, the secretary has listened to high ranking Democrats talk trash about the U.S for the last 8 years. He has even heard out current POTUS speak in Germany and tell the world "I know my country has not perfected itself. At times, we've struggled to keep the promise of liberty and equality for all of our people. We've made our share of mistakes, and there are times when our actions around the world have not lived up to our best intentions." Why wouldn't the Secretary of the UN think that it's ok to trash our reputation?

I'll disagree with that.

The UN can be useful for setting international policies which we are not willing to go to war over.

Please tell us when this has happened? Darfur? Bosnia? Iraq? How they doing with Iran? North Korea? Warnings on nuclear weapons regarding Pakistan and India? Helping with Georgia?

The problem isn't the UN itself, it's what the UN has become. Originally it was a place for them to work out their differences in a hope to avoid needless wars ... now it's just a farce because no one is willing to talk but everyone is willing to use the power of the UN.

The problem isn't the UN itself, it's what the UN has become. Originally it was a place for them to work out their differences in a hope to avoid needless wars ... now it's just a farce because no one is willing to talk but everyone is willing to use the power of the UN.

That was the plan, then Korea happened. Hasn't ever been what was intended to be. Now it's just a place to throw money at. It may be the Madoff of the international community. Ponzi scheme sounds like an apt description, not to mention theft, rape, and slavery.

You know I often wondered of the terrorist on 9-11 meant to slam into the UN building instead.

I'm just talking with my frustration so sorry if I offend anyone.

The U.S. needs to get out of the U.N. and any other group that challenges our sovereignty, such as the WTO.

I'll disagree with that.

Please tell us when this has happened? Darfur? Bosnia? Iraq? How they doing with Iran? North Korea? Warnings on nuclear weapons regarding Pakistan and India? Helping with Georgia?

I was referring less to socioeconomic matters and more to protection of endangered marine life, some of which crosses through international waters. The Appendix system of UN is imperfect, but one of the better systems that we have. I understand that this is of little importance to most people, but it matters to me and my work.

I'll disagree with that.

I was referring less to socioeconomic matters and more to protection of endangered marine life, some of which crosses through international waters. The Appendix system of UN is imperfect, but one of the better systems that we have. I understand that this is of little importance to most people, but it matters to me and my work.

I know little of that. However, seems that as long as the UN exists, you'd get what you need. The US doesn't need to belong to it to help with such matters.

please.....

We should pack up and leave.... BACK MONEY and all. The UN is about as worthless as titts on a bull.

please.....

why are we expected to pay for 22% of the UN's budget?
the rest of the world needs to step up and pay their share

C'mon guys, why are you so hard on the UN? I mean, it's like Eisenhower said: "With all the defects, with all the failures we can check up against it, the U.N. still represents man's best-organized hope to substitute the conference table for the battlefield." It's even truer today! The UN and its specialized agencies have been instrumental in advancing the agendas of international human rights, improving the position of women and children, increasing cooperation on the environment, and bolstering civil society around the world. So, it's a mixed bag- who could expect anyone created by humans to be anywhere near perfect? But hey, it's a little better than the previous one. It's gotta be adapted to the 21st century; it's gotta be reformed and strengthened to cope with the truly international issues that we face in today's world. Global epidemics, natural disasters, environmental devastation, financial instability, state failure that leads to breeding grounds for international terrorists and pirates, as well as millions of international refugees... These problems accept no national boundaries- they must be solved multilaterally, and the UN is providing the institutions for that. You can't, you know, keep building bigger walls and spending more and more on guns; that doesn't tackle the root causes of these problems. It will ultimately be much more expensive.

And you guys are being lied to. The UN is terribly understaffed and underfunded. The total annual budget of the UN, all development aid, peacekeeping, all humanitarian relief stuff is less than the amount paid for beer sold in England for 3 months. The entire staff from SG to truck driver (for what, 6 billion people?) is smaller than the civil service of Wyoming (500,000). Give it a break!

Last edited:
please.....

why are we expected to pay for 22% of the UN's budget?
the rest of the world needs to step up and pay their share

You are totally right: There are efforts to lower the ceiling much further, even to 10%. They've been continually lowering the ceiling- the US used to pay even more. The UN should be a more collective body, and we should diffuse the monetary responsibilities as far as possible. But there is one interesting thing that is usually totally left out of from the media regarding the $1billion or so allocated to it- that the UN, through its procurement of various US goods and materials, actually contributes MORE to the US economy than the $1billion it spends on it.

Forum List

Back